UKBouldering.com

Quick Release Wheels (Read 793 times)

Bradders

• forum hero
Quick Release Wheels
November 04, 2023, 12:27:33 pm
My bike has a quick release front wheel, which I very occasionally have to use e.g. to fit the bike into a car. However, whenever I do getting it back on in such a way that the brake disc doesn't rub against the brake hub/pad is an exercise in pure frustration. Last time I did it it took me absolutely ages of fiddling to get it sat right so the wheel spun freely. So I know it's possible, but should it be this hard?

Is there any advice for getting it back on quickly and easily? Perhaps some black magic that needs to be performed before trying?

M1V0

• addict
#1 Re: Quick Release Wheels
November 04, 2023, 12:37:08 pm
I used* to slot the wheel back on, pump the brakes a couple of times and then squeezed nice and tightly while I secured the quick release. If your pads are aligned properly, it should self-seat.

*past tense because I no longer have the bike.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Quick Release Wheels
November 04, 2023, 01:11:30 pm
I would start by thoroughly cleaning (relubing the pistons) and realigning your caliper (loosening them, applying them hard then whilst holding the lever, re-torque the fixings. Take the time to check the spring on your pads.

I'm assuming you're not overtightening the QR.

I just bought a piston press tool and it's been absolutely great. I've also used a LOT of Holt's brake cleaner.

petejh

• forum hero
#3 Re: Quick Release Wheels
November 04, 2023, 06:08:32 pm
Tip I had from a bike mechanic: when you remove the wheel, pop in a spacer the same width as the disc between the pads to stop them moving. Wood ice lolly sticks taped together to the required width, or buy some plastic spacers from screwfix.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#4 Re: Quick Release Wheels
November 04, 2023, 06:59:25 pm
Put in the wheel. Turn bike right way up. Put a bit of weight on it while you tighten up QR.

Bradders

• forum hero
#5 Re: Quick Release Wheels
November 04, 2023, 08:27:08 pm
Thanks all. A combination of the above eventually worked.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal