UKBouldering.com

Euro sport recs - somewhere different (Read 4841 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Euro sport recs - somewhere different
October 14, 2023, 09:54:19 am
Planning to go away end of Oct 20- Nov 2 but a bit stuck on where.

Ideally looking for somewhere with cheap flights reliable weather that’s a bit different and not crowded with enough hard routes to keep Steve Mac content. Somewhere with some vert to keep Nick C happy also a bonus.

Ruled out Northern Spain re weather. Mallorca as been so often. Leonidio too popular. St Leger probably have to drive.

Kiparissi a possible.

Must be plenty of other options in France and Spain?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Les Alpilles? Cimaī, if weather is cool?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Les Alpilles? Cimaī, if weather is cool?

Sounds old skool !

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Well, you did say ‘vertical’ ! :)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The no-driving rule makes it hard for me to suggest places. But I would think that St Leger is doable, if a bit expensive. There's a gîte down in the canyon? no?

With a car, St Antonin, if you also like to find sandbagged crags and holiday graded crags side by side. You have probably not been there, plenty to go at from vertical to steep, from short to long pitches, and all grades up to low 9s.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Sorry - yes we would have a local hire car.

Re St Leger I meant we would probably be best driving from the uk as there are no cheap flights to airports in the vicinity

With a car, St Antonin, if you also like to find sandbagged crags and holiday graded crags side by side. You have probably not been there, plenty to go at from vertical to steep, from short to long pitches, and all grades up to low 9s.

Good shout. Will investigate

« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 10:59:20 am by shark »

remus

• forum hero
Kyparissi a possible.

Take this with a pinch of salt as I've only been for an exploratory scope, but this might be a bit tricky with a mixed ability team. Babala is the big crag here, and it looks mint from 7b+ upwards but it's pretty much all tufa lines. The other crags in the area are cool but probably not two weeks worth.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Sorry - yes we would have a local hire car.

Re St Leger I meant we would probably be best driving from the uk as there are no cheap flights to airports in the vicinity

Good shout. Will investigate

There are cheap easyjet flights to Toulouse from London. Don't know about other airports

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Flew to grenoble when we went to St Leger. Imagine Lyon would also work, albeit a slightly longer drive. Can recommend a gite in the area.

Paul B

• forum hero
Ideally looking for somewhere with cheap flights reliable weather that’s a bit different and not crowded with enough hard routes to keep Steve Mac content. Somewhere with some vert to keep Nick C happy also a bonus.

It's possibly too early but Buoux? Nobody seems to go these days and it has plenty of hard stuff and plenty of not very steep stuff either. You've also got Lourmarin not far away for when your fingers/skin get a bit sick of pockets.

seankenny

• forum hero

There are cheap easyjet flights to Toulouse from London. Don't know about other airports

There’s also the Eurostar and TGV to Avignon which is very easy and quick.

blaciqui

Malaga province. El chorro is crowed (during the weekends) and polished (not everything), but there's been a lot of development in the province. It might need a little bit of driving between locations but good weather is guaranteed although rain is desperately needed and there are cheap flights to Malaga or Seville from everywhere in the UK. Also, Novembr is off season so it will be cheap to rent a car and accomodation.

Places like Teba, Cañete, Cuevas de San Marcos, Alfarnatejo, Ardales... Tons of new stuff that is not in the guidebooks the latest one is Climbing in Malaga province by Salvador Munilla (probably the worst guidebook in history: missing routes, routes that doesn't exist, not indicating that a route is longer than 40 metres... but it's the only one available and is good enough to locate the crags on a map)

And also you have a plan b with places like Archidona, El torcal, Villanueva del rosario or the hard crags in el chorro will suffice for a couple of weeks, I think.

It might require a little bit of research and knowing somebody from the area will be extremely helpful but I think it ticks all the boxes.  (I'm from Malaga province but living the UK, although at the grades you're talking about I cannot be very helpful, happy to help if I can) 

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Malaga province. El chorro is crowed (during the weekends) and polished (not everything), but there's been a lot of development in the province. It might need a little bit of driving between locations but good weather is guaranteed although rain is desperately needed and there are cheap flights to Malaga or Seville from everywhere in the UK. Also, Novembr is off season so it will be cheap to rent a car and accomodation.

Places like Teba, Cañete, Cuevas de San Marcos, Alfarnatejo, Ardales... Tons of new stuff that is not in the guidebooks the latest one is Climbing in Malaga province by Salvador Munilla (probably the worst guidebook in history: missing routes, routes that doesn't exist, not indicating that a route is longer than 40 metres... but it's the only one available and is good enough to locate the crags on a map)

And also you have a plan b with places like Archidona, El torcal, Villanueva del rosario or the hard crags in el chorro will suffice for a couple of weeks, I think.

It might require a little bit of research and knowing somebody from the area will be extremely helpful but I think it ticks all the boxes.  (I'm from Malaga province but living the UK, although at the grades you're talking about I cannot be very helpful, happy to help if I can)

Yes looked into the area before and like you say the info is sketchy which is probably a good thing from a popularity point of view.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

There’s also the Eurostar and TGV to Avignon which is very easy and quick.

True that. There's also the TGV to Bordeaux, then 2h in car. Or take the slow train from Bordeaux to Montauban, then a car for 30 m

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Thanks guys. Will do some more research next week and report back

petejh

• forum hero
Guyikibayiri and Citdibi (and other surrounding new crags), staying in Antalya.

Gorge du Tarn, Le Boffi, Gorge du Jonte. All easily doable from one base.

Samr

• Rocks, bass, beer
In a similar vain to the málaga recommendation, I will recommend Granada province. New guidebook just out (escalada deportiva Granada). Loads of crags full of 7s-8s (most popular ones being cogollos vega, poloria and cahorros). In your dates you are also just in time for Los Vados -  pared de la virgen for class multi pitches (bird banned from 15th November).
Unless you stay at the climbers hostel in cogollos, you'll probably want a rental care to visit all the crags though. 
I live in Granada so let me know if you want any more information.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Already mooted these but Steve has climbed these out

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
In a similar vain to the málaga recommendation, I will recommend Granada province. New guidebook just out (escalada deportiva Granada). Loads of crags full of 7s-8s (most popular ones being cogollos vega, poloria and cahorros). In your dates you are also just in time for Los Vados -  pared de la virgen for class multi pitches (bird banned from 15th November).
Unless you stay at the climbers hostel in cogollos, you'll probably want a rental care to visit all the crags though. 

Oooh. Sounds interesting. Will have a look into it and may be in touch 👍🏻

petejh

• forum hero

Already mooted these but Steve has climbed these out

Tough crowd!

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Kiparissi a possible.

Only ever been there on a day trip from Leonidio. Very beautiful, and the village felt very out of season & quiet in November although there were one or two restaurants & cafes open.

At the grades I'm operating at - 6's & low 7's - the sectors around the village were pleasant enough but nowt special. But I've been told by people operating at higher grades that Babala is the best crag in the 8's in Greece.

Kapsala & Hideout, about halfway up the coast road towards Leonidio, are a bit easier again, very good, but crowded as they're an easy hour's drive from Leonidio.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Reguchillo, near Jaén, is an hour north of Granada. I've not been but it is quite extensive and gets good reports from friends who climb in the high 7s and are reasonably tasteful about climbing. They recommended it as a warm and dry mid-winter venue so it might be hot in October?

Can also highly recommend the Eurostar/TGV option to Avignon or Marseilles: comfortable, unstressful, take as much kit as you like, and not so different in time when you factor in all the waiting around at airports. Booking with a week's notice is likely to be spendy.

Parenthetically, the forecasts for southern Spain and Dorset for the days you're considering look similarly showery, with Spain slightly warmer. Probably better redpointing conditions at Swanage...

James Malloch

• forum hero
Not sure on what the weather is like, but what about somewhere like arco or Finale?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Arco isn't really a winter venue unless you get lucky with the weather. Obviously the forecast can change a week out, but my local weather service (wetteronline) is currently saying low teens and cloudy/showery for shark's dates.

petejh

• forum hero
Forgot to mention earlier - what about Ulassai in Sardinia?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal