UKBouldering.com

WCJ bridge petition (Read 1254 times)

stone

• forum abuser
WCJ bridge petition
October 08, 2023, 10:52:04 am
I saw that there is a petition to get the bridge repaired for Moat/WCJ-Cornice etc. Recently the bridge has got worse and more obstacles have been nailed up to hinder use. Presumably back in the day there was money/inclination to build the bridge but there isn't now to repair it. The Rubicon area is a popular tourist spot so it seems odd that it has slipped into dereliction. It would be good to hear any background anyone may have. https://chng.it/nh44WTgGcG

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1 Re: WCJ bridge petition
October 09, 2023, 08:14:12 am
In my previous job I priced up repair work (full replacement of all timber elements) for PDNPA, which would have brought it back into service. That would be at least four years ago. The work was never commissioned. IIRC when I queried this I was told it was on hold on cost grounds.

I asked PDNPA if/when it would be repaired some time this June, their response then was:
The Water cum Jolly footbridge is progressing at a glacial pace. We expect some drawings from DCC in the next couple of weeks, and will use these as an application for planning permission to replace the existing structure with a new one. Absolutely no idea of the timescales to achieve that though.
I also mentioned this last week in another query relating to the other footbridge (to Rubicon) which has been damaged by vandalism. I haven't heard back from that yet.

stone

• forum abuser
#2 Re: WCJ bridge petition
October 09, 2023, 09:14:23 am
In my previous job I priced up repair work (full replacement of all timber elements) for PDNPA, which would have brought it back into service. That would be at least four years ago. The work was never commissioned. IIRC when I queried this I was told it was on hold on cost grounds.

I asked PDNPA if/when it would be repaired some time this June, their response then was:
The Water cum Jolly footbridge is progressing at a glacial pace. We expect some drawings from DCC in the next couple of weeks, and will use these as an application for planning permission to replace the existing structure with a new one. Absolutely no idea of the timescales to achieve that though.
I also mentioned this last week in another query relating to the other footbridge (to Rubicon) which has been damaged by vandalism. I haven't heard back from that yet.
Thanks!
Replacing the timber sounds like something that could be done more quickly/easily/cheaply than a full bridge replacement. Does it make sense to do what they are doing?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 Re: WCJ bridge petition
October 09, 2023, 09:27:37 am
I've just received an update on this.
Things have moved on since I priced up that work. It sounds like the whole structure may now have been condemned.
The situation is very frustrating, and progress has been very slow. Nevertheless, the current state of play with the main footbridge over the river is as follows…

•   The bridge has been condemned as unsafe, including the bearing structure, by civil engineers
•   The PDNP have commissioned Derbyshire County Council to prepare drawings for a new structure , at a cost
•   The drawings have been received but need to be converted into an appropriate document so that planning permission can be received to replace the bridge
•   Once this has been obtained the PDNP will seek funding, possibly through the Farming in Protected Landscapes (FIPL) project, to manufacture and install the bridge, but timescales around this are tight given the limited time scales of the funding project
•   If this is not successful the PDNP will need to seek funding from outside sources to manufacture and install the bridge; it is a substantial amount of money that is needed.
•   Given the above, exact timescales are not available at this time

Apparently the landowner (cragx Flyfishers) are looking to repair the smaller bridge over the leat, but I don’t have any timescales for that either.

stone

• forum abuser
#4 Re: WCJ bridge petition
October 09, 2023, 09:38:59 am
I'm wondering now about stopping walking across it myself.
I had thought I was eccentric in insisting on only walking across one at a time whilst other climbers were walking across as groups of four.

remus

• forum hero
#5 Re: WCJ bridge petition
October 09, 2023, 09:46:51 am
It would be interesting to understand how unsafe the underlying structure actually is. Presumably if the wooden slats hadn't died people would have continued crossing the bridge for many years.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#6 Re: WCJ bridge petition
October 09, 2023, 09:51:32 am
Similar scenario near me where a footpath has been blocked for about 18 months now due to a footbridge safety issue and a small culvert collapse. No visible work been carried out, no idea how I check whats going on. Will probably never get fixed.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: WCJ bridge petition
October 09, 2023, 11:15:09 am
We've had so many instances of stuff getting broken and not fixed, footbridge near us washed away about 8 years ago, never replaced. Path down to local beach washed away, in 2020, not replaced. The half finished work on fixing one just down the hill from us has just been removed in this weekends torrential rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal