UKBouldering.com

Shimano recall (Read 1293 times)

webbo

• forum hero
Shimano recall
September 22, 2023, 06:06:01 pm
For those of you with road bikes and don’t read the cycling media. Shimano have recalled Dura Ace and Ultegra chainsets in North America with Europe to follow shortly. They have finally admitted that they do delaminate.
There’s stuff on cycling weekly about which ones they are recalling and there’s a thread on the Bikeradar forum about it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Shimano recall
September 22, 2023, 07:19:38 pm
The way I read it, the recall was for an inspection and they'll only be replacing cranksets which show signs of failure:

If your cranks are affected (mine are, as it happens) then you are advised to take your bicycle (or just the cranks, if you’re happy removing them) to an approved Shimano dealer or retailer for inspection. In reality this means basically any decent bike shop.

Your cranks will then be inspected for any possible signs of delamination at the bond and if they are deemed unsafe or at risk then they will be replaced. Not every affected crankset will need to be replaced, but if yours is deemed necessary to replace, the immediacy of the replacement however is unknown, as this may well be stock dependant, and given the scale of the number of affected cranks there’s every chance there may be a wait.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/shimano-global-crankset-recall/

For once having Cannondale proprietary equipment is a bonus. I can this being an utter nightmare with stock and will no doubt end up with higher prices for cranksets generally in the short term?

webbo

• forum hero
#2 Re: Shimano recall
September 22, 2023, 07:32:15 pm
Apparently there is someone in the USA saying on their Facebook page that their local Shimano dealer had said they are replacing them all.
So I take my seven year old DA chainset in and they say it’s ok. I then ride it and it fails and I injure myself and my bike is damaged. How much do you think I would be able to claim in damages given this is a known problem. My compensation and legal costs would pay for a lot of chainsets.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Shimano recall
September 22, 2023, 07:42:47 pm
I totally agree that's why I was surprised to read the above; you'd think the bike shops doing the inspection would also want to cover their bums too?

I couldn't get three separate shops to give me (sell me) a spare bolt for my steerer last week (I left it in Italy packing the bike up) as apparently this happened recently, the bolt was a poor quality accessory bolt or something and sheered resulting in a big crash and legal action!

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Shimano recall
September 22, 2023, 07:50:15 pm
It will be interesting when I go in to shop where I got mine as the owner is a mate and is usually very forthright on the bike industry. I wouldn’t want to take the risk on a visual assessment.
When I was hit by a car on a carbon framed bike, the solicitor I contacted said they consider carbon frames a right off even if there’s no apparent damage as the risk of failure and the consequences are too great.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Shimano recall
September 22, 2023, 09:18:04 pm
The failure mode isn't pretty either!

I have to say I was a bit pissed off for their advice to be to buy another stem when I said I was a bit nervous of buying Amazon/eBay specials.

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Shimano recall
December 18, 2023, 09:41:44 am
Up date on this. I took my bike and chainset in to my LBS to get it checked and because I said it clicked occasionally  when pedalling they sent  it off to Madison( Shimano suppliers to the UK) to be checked. I received a new chainset on Friday.
The shop gets just over 30 quid for checking chainsets, this is just credited to their Madison account rather than getting the money.
I would suggest that anyone with a relevant chainset taking it in for a check and say it clicks or makes a cracking noise and it will go back for replacement.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Shimano recall
December 18, 2023, 10:52:09 am
Good beta. My Dad's went in and is supposedly fine. They then told him that every other part of his drivetrain and his wheel bearings are ruined.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal