Slipstones parking (Read 1279 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Slipstones parking
September 16, 2023, 11:21:09 am
Copied and pasted from the BMC on UKC:

The owner of the land where cars have traditionally parked has recently objected to parking in this area due to instances of obstruction to tracks. The obvious track leading west is frequently used by large farm vehicles which need sufficient space to turn. Access is also required at all times to the less obvious green drive leading east.

After careful negotiation by access volunteers a parking ban has been avoided for the present, so long as the following arrangement is adhered to:

A maximum of three vehicles only, to be parked to the right of the existing noticeboard and in no way impeding the green lane which is also to the right of this sign.

Under normal circumstances ample alternative parking is available 900m back east along the road at Gollinglith Foot, at a layby beside a phone box -  54.224335, -1.766235 . Currently however the parking here is unavailable whilst forestry work is ongoing.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Slipstones parking
September 16, 2023, 03:06:46 pm
Last time we there the parking was nearly all taken up by 2 minibuses belonging to a local outdoor centre.
They weren't particularly interested when I tried to politely explain that badly parked vehicles would likely cause problems in the future.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 Re: Slipstones parking
March 05, 2024, 01:01:39 pm
The landowner has been in touch with the BMC in the last week to complain about incidents of the parking signage not being followed. A photo was sent showing 5 vehicles including one blocking the turning area. The signage is clear. If climbers choose to ignore it there will definitely be an increase access difficulties here.

In the interest of maintaining access please follow the arrangement as outlined on the signage!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3 Re: Slipstones parking
March 05, 2024, 01:45:55 pm
That is regrettable. I was there last week and the signage was indeed clear, no excuses.

Worth clarifying that if you did get there and discover the parking full you can leave passengers and pads/bags there and park back down the road at the telephone box layby which is now available again. Not a long walk especially if unladen!

Br0mley

#4 Re: Slipstones parking
March 05, 2024, 02:06:12 pm
Really disappointing, the sign is straightforward
I was there on Sunday when I think the picture was taken (parked to the right of the sign in a bunch of 3 vehicles). I left a note on the two vehicles parked left of the sign. Was surprised that people could be so ignorant, you drive past the alternative parking on the way to the crag!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#5 Re: Slipstones parking
March 05, 2024, 02:50:06 pm
I was there a couple of weeks ago and have a feeling the sign doesn't specify a 3 car max? And does it also specify the bit about not blocking the green lane to the right of the sign? Sorry if I've misremembered that. If not it would be worth adding that as well as the bit about alternative parking down the road (you can even park on the verge closer than Gollinglith Foot).

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#6 Re: Slipstones parking
March 05, 2024, 02:56:46 pm
It definitely does say 3 cars max. There would still be space to access the green lane with 3 cars parked there, although I'm not clear whether the existence of the green lane is correct as there doesn't appear to be a byway marked there on an OS map.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 03:02:24 pm by spidermonkey09 »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#7 Re: Slipstones parking
March 05, 2024, 03:09:21 pm
Maybe green lane is the wrong term and it's better called a tractor/quad track. Looking on the satellite view it doesn't go anywhere but accesses a turning circle for farm traffic.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#8 Re: Slipstones parking
March 05, 2024, 03:15:47 pm
Yeah, agree it looks to be for field access from satellite view. Anyway, I remember noticing that with 3 cars properly parked there was still space to access the track.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#9 Re: Slipstones parking
March 05, 2024, 03:40:07 pm
Thanks for the update James I've updated the RAD about the lower parking being available again.
Yes, the signage includes the number limit, info on the right and left extent of the agreed parking, and avoidance of blocking the main track and the overgrown rh track.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#10 Re: Slipstones parking
March 05, 2024, 03:52:54 pm
Thanks for confirming. My memory is shit!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal