UKBouldering.com

Best glue for limestone repair (Read 1820 times)

Don Jebus

• regular
Best glue for limestone repair
August 26, 2023, 01:24:39 pm
Hi all,

Went to the boardwalk cave last Thursday and unfortunately snapped a couple of holds. Clean breaks and I have the parts so will repair nicely, but want to check what the best glue for such repairs would be?

Should be heading back in the next few days. Cheers

monkey boy

• forum hero
#1 Re: Best glue for limestone repair
August 26, 2023, 05:15:57 pm
Hi,

Glue wise Bonjoy will respond with what's best but some form of resin.

Before gluing though what holds have broken and how much does it affect the problem? If it doesn't then I'd say just leave it be. Glue has it's place on Peak lime but if it doesn't affect the quality of the climb then I don't think we need to put holds back in.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Best glue for limestone repair
August 27, 2023, 09:29:04 am
I have used bolt glue and car body filler to reinstate holds that have stood the test of time

For more detailed info check out the Hold repair beta thread

bolehillbilly

• stalker
#3 Re: Best glue for limestone repair
August 27, 2023, 11:37:38 am
If you do decide to repair I've used Rawlplug R Kem II.  I've found it a bit easier to work with than the Fischer products. It's a bit less runny and also, I think, less greasy when dry. Small standard tubes so fits in a normal sealant applicator.
Screwfix stock it but you could keep the wheels on the local economy and pick some up from Twiggs in Matlock.
I do have some Fischer ATM so if you only need a small amount let me know and you can pick it up.
Lots of good beta in the hold repair thread, clean surfaces well etc, also useful is M20's about putting tape over the grip surface of the hold.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Best glue for limestone repair
August 27, 2023, 01:21:14 pm
If you do decide to repair I've used Rawlplug R Kem II.  I've found it a bit easier to work with than the Fischer products. It's a bit less runny and also, I think, less greasy when dry. Small standard tubes so fits in a normal sealant applicator.
Screwfix stock it but you could keep the wheels on the local economy and pick some up from Twiggs in Matlock.
I do have some Fischer ATM so if you only need a small amount let me know and you can pick it up.
Lots of good beta in the hold repair thread, clean surfaces well etc, also useful is M20's about putting tape over the grip surface of the hold.

+1 for R Kem II - used it to repair a few grit holds that had snapped and worked wonders, I was able to mix in bits of grit and the colour matched it quite well, obviously a bit different to limestone but I think with it being sort of grey/green in colour it shouldn’t stand out too much

Don Jebus

• regular
#5 Re: Best glue for limestone repair
August 28, 2023, 07:22:20 pm
Thanks for the advice guys, Jon and Dave Parry messaged me, got some anchor resin and put them back on today. They went back on cleanly, hopefully will stay on. Joe Lawson gave me a hand and should give them a test when they've gone off. If they come off again then so be it, but thought it better to preserve the climbs. The one on Holey Toley made the pull on much harder and the one on Levi will mean at alternate beta still works.

Don Jebus

• regular
#6 Re: Best glue for limestone repair
August 29, 2023, 09:37:04 am
Well, sounds like the resin didn't go off, so they are currently not attached. Will try again another day when I get a chance.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal