UKBouldering.com

Higher Academic and Professional qualification advice. (Read 1374 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I would imagine that this forum has a few people with quite good knowledge in this area and I’m finding that my new role gives me quite a bit of free time. Essentially I’m an executive director, I only work 8 months of the year and I get weekends off when I’m working too (even given my excessive/obsessive hobbies, I seem to have long lonely evenings and  many free hours at the weekend).
So, I’ve been toying with the idea of a remote Masters in Eng Management or similar.
 But an ex-forces employment charity just sent through details for a Non-executive Directors programme that leads to “ TQUK Level 6 Certificate in Strategic Planning and Leadership (RQF)” which I’d never heard of.
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of either TQUK or this/similar programmes?
Are they worth the time, effort or money (that one is cheap-ish at £2.5K).

TQUK seems to be OFQUAL recognised, but I’m not sure if that really means anything?

Actually, if anyone has any alternative suggestions for programmes or qualifications of that ilk I’d be interested to hear about them and probably others would too.

dunnyg

• forum hero
Im no expert, but a level 6 qualification is equivalent to a bachelors degree.

(source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualification_types_in_the_United_Kingdom)

It is worth understanding what you want to get out of these kind of courses. E.g. will an MEng bump your pay up, or do you want to get some formal training in X/Y/Z, or do you just enjoy learning about a certain subject.

Once you work that out it might be easier to pick a suitable qualifcation/course.

Anec-data:
I know a couple of people who have done masters through the open university and enjoyed them. Also seen a lot of adverts for short courses at uni. In my field these are generally 3-4 month courses in climate change for CEOs etc.. Im not sure how useful they are though, and they are generally more expensive than a masters (!).

Some vaguely useful thoughts maybe...

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
All roads lead to rope access.

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
I agree with Dunny when he says decide what you want out of it before beginning and it will help decide which form of study is best for you. Typically a masters with a HE provider will give you the academic overview of a subject with tools to critique it as a discipline, whereas a professional qualification should equip you with the practical skills to enact work at that level. It's easy to decide which of these is preferred, and narrow your options, once one can identify the desired outcome.

I'm currently studying for a CMI Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership with a view to later become a chartered manager. The main motivator for me was career progression and thus far everything I've gained has been of direct practical application and probably is one of the reasons for a recent promotion. Although the Level 7 is considered (according to NQF/RQF) on par with a masters, in effect its not exactly equivalent as there is no dissertation/research element. I.e. you'll see PGDip/PGcert listed at level 7 though neither require dissertation.

In terms of what the 'levels' mean in practice, I would describe it as the perspective from which you engage with the subject. I previously completed a Level 5 Award (apparently equivalent to HND/1st yr of degree) and found it to over simplify the topic. Perhaps it was too operational at a time when my role is becoming more strategic. Again a personal decision which would relate to your experience in the field and where you want to take this.

As you're an engineer you may want to check out the chartered bodies that offer engineering training. I imagine a lot of the subject covered in the level 6 you mentioned would be similar to the CMI content just adjusted for audience. Here you can check in fact. There is also FutureLearn which has hundreds of short online courses and even online masters and that can provide a good springboard. I did my level 5 CMI through this platform and I'm currently using ICS learn for my level 7.

Also, in my experience the cost relates to mode of delivery and not the subject matter covered. All of them which 'lead to' a qualification will cover the same syllabus, set by the awarding body, its just the method by which they do it will dictate what they charge. I.e. ICS is cheap because its all online.

Hope this is useful
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 09:48:47 am by CrimpyMcCrimpface »

matt463

• regular
message deleted
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 11:24:25 am by matt463 »

andy popp

• forum hero
You haven't mentioned this, and I doubt you're considering it (tho' you did mention a management Masters), but I wouldn't bother with an MBA, even if someone else is offering to pay for it (which I don't think they are).

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Typically a masters with a HE provider will give you the academic overview of a subject with tools to critique it as a discipline, whereas a professional qualification should equip you with the practical skills to enact work at that level.

My healthcare background meant courses I was involved in had both theory overview and some practical skills. We'd have had a student revolt/no "customers" if they had been all theory!

As well as all the good advice above I'd attempt to speak with some former students. Similar-sounding courses can have very different content and quality of delivery which is not always evident from the blurb.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
What do you want to do with it Matt? Is it to enhance qualifications for more or a wider variety of work opportunities? Personal interest? Both?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Well, I’m almost entirely vocationally qualified.
It’s never held me back, but I always have an underlying “imposter” feeling.
As it happens, all three directors at the shipyard are similarly qualified, so perhaps it’s even more silly than I already think it is; however, I’m now sending my eldest off to Westminster Law school, No.2 has just been accepted to do four A levels (I dropped out of 6th to run away to sea), the Twinigans (Nos.3&4) are heading into year 10 with very high predictions and this old man feels a little inadequate.

I have several diplomas at level 6/NVQ 6 and a PgDip (DipMarSur), so realistically the only thing that will scratch my itch is the MSc.

I also just enjoy it.

It’s unlikely to harm my employment prospects, either…

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Congrats on the kids doing their thing, that’s great.  Your answer sort of confirmed my suspicion that you don’t need to get any more qualifications to do the work you would like to do which is great. With that in mind then, you can do what sparks your curiosity and interest (and like you say it won’t do your employment prospects any harm).

Go for the MSc then. It’ll be intellectually demanding enough to stretch you and satisfy any imposter syndrome that’s lurking around.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal