UKBouldering.com

Wanted: Software job/internship (Read 1366 times)

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
Wanted: Software job/internship
August 18, 2023, 07:20:29 pm
I've spent a lot of time in the past 18 months learning to code. At the start of the year I did a 3 month boot-camp, creating full-stack apps using React, MongoDB, Express and Node. I've also got some qualifications in TypeScript, C# and Java, as well as a Masters module in Machine Learning and a maths degree.

I'm really struggling to turn this experience into a new career. Entry-level jobs seem few and far between and many require 12 months experience, the classic Catch 22.

If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them. Even better if you know someone who can offer me some short contract work to gain experience.

M1V0

• addict
#1 Re: Wanted: Software job/internship
August 18, 2023, 07:37:32 pm
Have you looked at freelancing websites, such as Upwork or freelancer? Could be a good way to get some professional experience with short-term or mid-term projects.

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#2 Re: Wanted: Software job/internship
August 18, 2023, 07:58:30 pm
Have you looked at freelancing websites, such as Upwork or freelancer?

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#3 Re: Wanted: Software job/internship
August 18, 2023, 08:25:42 pm
have you tried lying about your work experience ?

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#4 Re: Wanted: Software job/internship
August 18, 2023, 08:43:22 pm
have you tried lying about your work experience ?

I've certainly considered it! I have some freelance things that I can certainly make sound more fancy.

Fellover

#5 Re: Wanted: Software job/internship
August 18, 2023, 09:31:06 pm
I'm really struggling to turn this experience into a new career. Entry-level jobs seem few and far between and many require 12 months experience, the classic Catch 22.

Have you applied for any jobs where you don't meet the criteria? To my knowledge applying for jobs where you don't meet the criteria is part and parcel of getting software jobs. E.g. I recently applied for a full stack job in the NHS which specified an essential criteria as having worked in healthcare, I don't have any healthcare experience. In the end I didn't get it because someone else was similar to me but with healthcare experience, however they did choose to interview me despite it being obvious in my application that I had no healthy experience and said I was second choice despite the lack of healthcare experience (always possible they said this to make the feedback phonecall less awkward, but I'm choosing to believe it...).

On a different note, the small company I work for recently employed a graduate with a maths degree but very little coding experience to be a full time software developer in typescript/Angular and some C#. So there are some possibilities out there.

csl

• junky
#6 Re: Wanted: Software job/internship
August 19, 2023, 06:35:32 am

Have you applied for any jobs where you don't meet the criteria? To my knowledge applying for jobs where you don't meet the criteria is part and parcel of getting software jobs. E.g. I recently applied for a full stack job in the NHS which specified an essential criteria as having worked in healthcare, I don't have any healthcare experience. In the end I didn't get it because someone else was similar to me but with healthcare experience, however they did choose to interview me despite it being obvious in my application that I had no healthy experience and said I was second choice despite the lack of healthcare experience (always possible they said this to make the feedback phonecall less awkward, but I'm choosing to believe it...).

On a different note, the small company I work for recently employed a graduate with a maths degree but very little coding experience to be a full time software developer in typescript/Angular and some C#. So there are some possibilities out there.

I would believe them - I do quite a lot of hiring and the criteria are better viewed as a wish list than requirements. Of course there is a chance your application will be rejected before interview, but it is 100% worth it to apply to jobs you don't meet the criteria of.

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#7 Re: Wanted: Software job/internship
August 19, 2023, 09:19:39 am
Have you applied for any jobs where you don't meet the criteria? To my knowledge applying for jobs where you don't meet the criteria is part and parcel of getting software jobs.

I have, but I've probably avoided the ones where they want 3 or more years experience. In terms of specific technology/language experience I've favoured things where I meet most criteria, but I've probably been put off by a few specific terms in the criteria at times.

remus

• forum hero
#8 Re: Wanted: Software job/internship
August 19, 2023, 10:18:23 am
I'd echo the points about applying for stuff even if you don't meet all the criteria.

I'd also recommend having some examples of code you've written and, ideally, a real life project that is up and running that demonstrates your abilities. At the end of the day you will be paid to solve business problems, and writing code is just a tool to get you there. If you can demonstrate that you can solve problems by writing software it'll be much easier to hire you.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#9 Re: Wanted: Software job/internship
August 19, 2023, 10:40:50 am
I've spent a lot of time in the past 18 months learning to code. At the start of the year I did a 3 month boot-camp, creating full-stack apps using React, MongoDB, Express and Node. I've also got some qualifications in TypeScript, C# and Java, as well as a Masters module in Machine Learning and a maths degree.

If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them. Even better if you know someone who can offer me some short contract work to gain experience.

No idea if any of those languages are relevant - but the Scottish Mountaineering Club could probably do with some support, so maybe worth getting in touch?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal