UKBouldering.com

Beach, bouldering, camping, kids where? (Read 5496 times)

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Beach, bouldering, camping, kids where?
August 15, 2023, 06:01:04 pm
Looking for recommendations for somewhere to go, ideally not too far from Sheffield, where one can boulder, beach, camp and it's good for kids around 5. Good sandy beach is probably higher priority than good bouldering.

Does such a place exist in the north of England/Wales?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I've not bouldered here but I've heard it fits the bill from Mike Adams - https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/newgale_beach-25929/

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Slightly nearer Gower would also probably suit. Certainly has fantastic beaches and beach based bouldering.

dunnyg

• forum hero
Silverdale?
Don't know about the beaches though.

dunnyg

• forum hero
North york moors? Plenty of beaches on the east coast.

Northumberland?
Amazing beaches, heard there is some half decent bouldering.

I don't have any specific beta though.

Catcheemonkey

• addict
St. Bees?

jakaitch

• regular
Second vote for Newagale!

gme

• forum hero
North york moors? Plenty of beaches on the east coast.

Northumberland?
Amazing beaches, heard there is some half decent bouldering.

I don't have any specific beta though.

Northumberland does it perfectly. Add better weather than west coast, castles and other stuff for kids, most of bouldering is totally chilled with one pad on your own.
Nice pubs, and if weather is shit Edinburgh is 55 mins on train, Newcastle 25.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Not North England/Wales I can however recommend Hopeman in Scotland for this. Campsite right on the beach with a lovely beach bar/restaurant, can walk to Cummingston to the West for some amazing sandstone bouldering and exploring the caves, to the East is the lovely sandy beach of Cove Bay and Primrose Bay bouldering. Added advantage of minimal midges being on the East Coast as well.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Sandyhills bay in Dumfries Southern Scotland may also work and is considerably closer to Sheffield. Camping right by the a sandy beach and bouldering in the caves at the back including some harder things.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Porth Ysgo + Aberdaron & Porth Neigwl Beaches? I think there are a few campsites in and about the area.

SamT

• forum hero
Not a sandy beach.. more like big pebbles, but Cae Du campsite could fit the bill.  Not sure how good the actual bouldering is.

Paul B

• forum hero
Silverdale?
Don't know about the beaches though.

The beaches are pretty clayey. I was fooled by an Instagram post.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Not North England/Wales I can however recommend Hopeman in Scotland for this. Campsite right on the beach with a lovely beach bar/restaurant, can walk to Cummingston to the West for some amazing sandstone bouldering and exploring the caves, to the East is the lovely sandy beach of Cove Bay and Primrose Bay bouldering. Added advantage of minimal midges being on the East Coast as well.

Great place. Also in the right conditions you can body board on the beach at Primrose Bay. The kids loved it.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Been thinking about this again as have similar requirements with a young family... Ogmore South Wales looks like it could be a possibility, seems to be camping at Three Golden Cups in Southerndown and then half a mile walk to the beach and bouldering.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Rest Bay could be good for that too, but usually a bit busier, but closer to the trappings of Porthcawl. Not as much bouldering, but some fun microroutes.

Duma

• forum hero
Been thinking about this again as have similar requirements with a young family... Ogmore South Wales looks like it could be a possibility, seems to be camping at Three Golden Cups in Southerndown and then half a mile walk to the beach and bouldering.

3 cups is a decent pub, no idea about the campsite. There's a closer beach at witches point too, some bouldering I believe and also some excellent (if often greasy) sport climbing

Jerry Morefat

• addict
As a S.Wales local, I'm not sure I'd recommend Ogmore or rest bay personally. I don't think the trench at Ogmore is super child friendly, although the other stuff probably is. The bouldering at rest bay is pretty limited and pretty easy.

Although I do like sutherndown beach and rest bay (and have taken my 5 year old daughter to both fairly frequently from Cardiff) I think the beaches on the Gower and in Pembroke are nicer. I'd recommend newgale personally, as already mentioned in the thread.

205Chris

• forum hero
Another vote for Northumberland here;

Bamburgh beach is stunning. 15 minutes to Bowden, 20 minutes to Kyloe.

North Wales would be our second option - Benllech beach, Llandudno etc.

I had one session at Newgale last year and left disappointed. I'm sure it's great, but it's tidal and very conditions dependent (your mileage may vary etc.). It's also 5 and a half hours from Sheffield. Although the ice cream place up the road is one of the best I've ever had.

SA Chris

• forum hero
"Near Sheffield" is probably limited to NYM, Northumberland and North / Mid Wales? Depends on age of kids and tolerance to travel obviously.

T_B

• forum hero
We’ve been to NYM twice. Based ourselves at the YHA in Osmotherley. Dunno about campsites. Not too far a drive to Saltburn (as seaside towns go I thought it was really quite nice) or for fossil beaches further south (exciting descent to Port Mulgrave). Worth knowing there’s a decent little wall in Darlington (Ibex) if it rains. Only did a bit of climbing but Scugdale is 10 mins walk and a lovely spot to hang out. There are likely better bouldering venues.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
for a beach with bouldering, steady walk in - Rumbling Kern

https://northumberlandclimbing.co.uk/oldguide/index.php-v=4&s=2&id=96.html

the other channel has a list of problems

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Lleyn. Northumberland has better bouldering but the sea is fucking freezing and we always end up in big coats while my Dad sends pictures of them hiding in the shade in Lleyn because the flags are cracking. Lots of variety in beaches and aspect, much closer than South Wales.

gme

• forum hero

That place should not be in a bouldering guide or be classed as climbing, its shit and i mean utter shite.

It is however an amazing place to visit, jump off cliffs, swim through arches etc. (coasteering i think its called, or that what the local companies who charge a fortune for it do).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

That place should not be in a bouldering guide or be classed as climbing, its shit and i mean utter shite.

It is however an amazing place to visit, jump off cliffs, swim through arches etc. (coasteering i think its called, or that what the local companies who charge a fortune for it do).

I must like utter shite more than you  :shrug:

it has more climbable rock than most of the sandy beaches I have been to in the UK

admittedly, not much to do above 4+ unless you enjoy doing linkups and eliminates in between playing with the kids

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal