UKBouldering.com

Flying BA with pads (Read 1170 times)

tim palmer

• forum abuser
Flying BA with pads
July 30, 2023, 03:17:23 pm
Anyone done this recently?
we have always flown with virgin in the past and it has been pretty relaxed but dunno about BA.
Thanks

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1 Re: Flying BA with pads
July 30, 2023, 08:11:29 pm
Not flown with pads, but flown with bike boxes a lot, which are bigger and heavier than a pad. BA just count the bike box as your 23kg of hold luggage so I’d strongly suspect a pad will just count as your luggage.

Duma

• forum hero
#2 Re: Flying BA with pads
July 30, 2023, 08:31:31 pm
I've been to SA (Rocklands) with BA twice, just went on as oversized luggage

36chambers

• forum hero
#3 Re: Flying BA with pads
July 30, 2023, 09:05:06 pm
Heathrow to LA with BA last year and had two large organics strapped together as one standard checked luggage, obviously had to take it to oversized.

And in case this is useful to anyone, I also did Manchester to Madrid last year with Ryanair with the same pads strapped together as one "Checked Bag (20kg)" option.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Flying BA with pads
July 30, 2023, 09:09:53 pm
Ah amazing,  I think we will be stretching the boundaries as we have a new large core pad which is enormous but hopefully we will be able to blag it

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Flying BA with pads
July 31, 2023, 10:28:25 am
Never had a problem with any airline. Funny looks but no problems.
If we're using a new (to us)  airline generally email a picture but this seems over the top these days.Occasionally hear second hand stories about companies being awkward but never happened to us.

Bradders

• forum hero
#6 Re: Flying BA with pads
July 31, 2023, 10:36:29 am
Similarly never had a problem flying with pads, they're generally well within the size specs of a standard checked bag even big Organics / Moon etc. so no different to taking a large suitcase.

Ross Barker

• menacing presence
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
#7 Re: Flying BA with pads
July 31, 2023, 12:28:13 pm
I queried about flying with a pad via EasyJet earlier this year and they said they'd categorise it under "sporting goods" and charge more than just regular checked luggage. I think it was something along the lines of £100 extra, so might be worth it on a longer trip.

It might've been alright if I just turned up with it and didn't ask in advance but I wasn't keen on taking the risk!

csl

• junky
#8 Re: Flying BA with pads
July 31, 2023, 12:35:19 pm
Best bet with the budget airlines seems to be to wrap it in clingfilm (like those anti-tampering things at the airport do) and call it a big suitcase when asked.

Bradders

• forum hero
#9 Re: Flying BA with pads
July 31, 2023, 02:07:37 pm
I queried about flying with a pad via EasyJet earlier this year and they said they'd categorise it under "sporting goods" and charge more than just regular checked luggage. I think it was something along the lines of £100 extra, so might be worth it on a longer trip.

It might've been alright if I just turned up with it and didn't ask in advance but I wasn't keen on taking the risk!

Yeah as csl said I think your mistake there was asking, at which point of course they'll say well it's sporting equipment and charge more. But they're no different to a large suitcase so no reason to be charged any more.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal