the shizzle > chuffing

Helmet advice

<< < (2/10) > >>

James Malloch:
I use the black Sirocco. Don’t notice it in and it looks alright.

Never had issues with it in my bag but also put it in the bag last so its always on top.

Get something you like or you wont use it.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/petzl-sirocco-helmet-climbing-helmet/?aid=b8e36a7faf3429a98495956b14cc718e&pid=10004&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiIOmBhDjARIsAP6YhSWYTLnmQerUNgU3ZWNVCubKAjOJlZUwS2fnW0NpbEFALNxhYRbjDAIaAoI1EALw_wcB&wt_mc=uk.pla.google_uk.18012299660..

crzylgs:

--- Quote from: Paul B on July 26, 2023, 01:50:11 pm ---There's another thread on here somewhere where one of the primary concerns seemed to be how you'd transport the helmet to the crag and how easily some of the lightweight offerings could be damaged in the bottom of a rucksack for instance.

--- End quote ---

This is nicely sums up my concerns.

--- Quote from: slab_happy on July 26, 2023, 02:09:59 pm ---FWIW, I have the original version of the Sirocco (the hideous orange one which someone dubbed Ronald McPenis), which I bought in 2013, and I haven't managed to damage it in my rucksack yet.

--- End quote ---

That's good to know! However, doesn't help me make my mind up as I'm even more torn now!

--- Quote from: Duncan Disorderly on July 26, 2023, 02:43:35 pm ---I can't recomend the Black Diamond Vapour enough!

Looking now it seems that Absolute Snow have em for £79 if S/M fits yer head and you like red...

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/black-diamond-vapor-alpine-rock-climbing-helmet?v=253129&fc=GBP/?keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiIOmBhDjARIsAP6YhSUi7JkyiKoNSu8U3LOwG2SIZTAwDJdVu6jAuIhKx2zgP2_30nX5g_UaAqCsEALw_wcB

--- End quote ---

I had seen the Vapour top a few test list but at its full price was a tad out of my budget. That's a much more tempting price. On the link provided by Duncan there are 4 colour options:

Red / Ice Blue - these both seem to have a thin shell/coating over the foam looking bit.

Octane / Black - these appear to only have the shell on top, then no coating on sides?

But they are the same price and same model?

Duncan Disorderly:
The ones with polystyreen sides are the latest models and are megabucks...

SamT:
I've had a vapour for some years now, and the top is looking quite dented now.  Only ever put it in the top of the rucksack, but it does seem quite susceptible to denting.  (Its one with the shell all over.)

Needed another helment the family on hols so ended up with a Vision which has a much kinder price tag.  Can't really tell the difference to be honest. (Less shell on the Vision)

Johnny Brown:
I’ve had both the meteor and a black (i.e. mk ii) scirocco for years now. The meteor is more comfortable and stable on my head. The big benefit of the scirocco is not so much the weight (which has been shaved too far imo, just put the meteor cradle in) but the durability. The scirocco foam is not polystyrene , and is more or less indestructible, you can put in the bottom of your sac, sit on it for lunch, generally abuse it. I still use both depending on mood, ideally I’d have a meteor made of scirocco foam.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version