the shizzle > chuffing

Helmet advice

<< < (10/10)

SamT:

Cheap BD Vapours..

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Climbing/Rock-Trad-Climbing/Helmets/Black-Diamond-Vapor-Helmet?mc_cid=18a240e36e&mc_eid=5985717261

crzylgs:

--- Quote from: SamT on August 12, 2023, 01:29:49 pm ---
Cheap BD Vapours..

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Climbing/Rock-Trad-Climbing/Helmets/Black-Diamond-Vapor-Helmet?mc_cid=18a240e36e&mc_eid=5985717261

--- End quote ---

Came here to post the same link!

I ended up not getting a helmet for my current trip (borrowed a friends instead!) and have just hopped onto Needle sports to get myself one of the M/L Vapours for £65!  :2thumbsup:

Hacker:
Those links are to the original design of the Vapour which whilst is lightweight and low profile and nice to wear has a number of very big drawbacks:

Super delicate most people I've seen wearing these if you look at thier helmet closely they are cracked on the inside as the EPS is so thin and fragile that they have to use carbon rods inside it and a keeler sheet to hold it together and meet the CE ratings. It doesn't meet UIAA ratings.

One person I saw who did alot of winter climbing had put gaffa tape on the inside to stop thier head getting cold and this appeared to be the only thing holding it together.

The helmet also dents and marks up easily, given how little thickness in EPS foam there is reducing this is going to decrease safety over time, if the cracking doesn't happen first. Having jumped on alot of retired helmets it is alarming how easily this one is destroyed

The newer model made in a similar way to the sirocco fixes these problems with flexible EPP in the main body of the helmet which is more durable than the pure EPS version or other helmets such as the meteor (correcting one of the first posts which is incorrect). It still retains EPS under the crown for top impact protection under the polycarbonate outer over the crown.

Is worth nothing however that because the meteor uses a bigger thickness of EPS compared to the old Vapour it is still very durable. And that the original orange Sirocco that was entirely EPS suffered from the same problems as the old Vapour

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version