UKBouldering.com

Home board chalk (Read 1545 times)

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
Home board chalk
June 27, 2023, 07:19:18 pm
I'll soon be getting a small home board in my spare bedroom. Since it's inside the house I'd like to minimise the spread of chalk in the house and was wondering if anyone has a similar setup with any suggestions to help. My thoughts are
a) use liquid chalk, but I find it doesn't work as well and is more slippy than regular chalk
b) get chalk blocks and then just rub hands on them

Any other good ideas?

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Home board chalk
June 27, 2023, 08:00:29 pm
Carlisle Slapper used to have a chalk bucket inside an Ikea style laundry basket. The cheap ones which are material with a spring like construction to it and a simple slot in the top. You could chalk up in the basket without spreading it all over the place. The other side of the board was literally his bed (see Chairmen of the Board on Vimeo if you haven't already).

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2 Re: Home board chalk
June 27, 2023, 08:11:32 pm
Small extraction fan out the window to keep a negative pressure in the room?

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Home board chalk
June 28, 2023, 07:58:23 am
I have a board in the garage which is also home to the washer, drier, Sheila’s maid, cats beds plus lots of stuff stored on shelves. So I get a lot of grief about chalk covering everything. I initially used liquid chalk but find it a bit shit. So I went back to normal chalk.
However I have found it’s not using the chalk it’s brushing it off the holds that causes the problem.
Sorry I haven’t found a solution to this yet, if you please let me know. ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Home board chalk
June 28, 2023, 08:10:19 am
Have a vacuum cleaner nozzle by the hold when brushing? Agree brushing definitely spreads it around more.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Home board chalk
June 28, 2023, 08:28:00 am
Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems like the ikea basket for chalk and vacuum while brushing might be the best options. Maybe now is the time to try to invent the handheld vacuum/brushstick combo.

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Home board chalk
June 28, 2023, 04:05:15 pm
Whilst the vacuum clearly would work. Would anyone try a move fail/ grease off, out comes the brush and vacuum. Try again repeat and so on.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Home board chalk
June 28, 2023, 04:39:31 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems like the ikea basket for chalk and vacuum while brushing might be the best options. Maybe now is the time to try to invent the handheld vacuum/brushstick combo.

I have visions of a turbine inside an attachment onto the vacuum cleaner nozzle attached to a slider crank mechanism so you get a brushing action along with the vacuuming of the chalk. Hello Patent.. 

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#8 Re: Home board chalk
June 28, 2023, 10:57:15 pm
Tongue firmly in cheek..

Way way back when I used to share my old mans workshop, it was only polite that I left it after work without a trace of saw dust. So we had an industrial sized leaf blower! Made sure everything was fixed down or put away, opened a window and set to with it. As long as you could get it airbourne you could get it out. Beat scratting about with a hoover/dust extractor.
I'm sure the same principles could be applied to a bedroom board room.  ;D

sdm

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Home board chalk
June 28, 2023, 11:59:13 pm
My board is in the living room. I just vacuum the room and wipe the surfaces on the same schedule as other rooms.

I mostly use block chalk which maybe reduces the amount of chalk that gets airborne. I usually have a window open when climbing, even in winter, and I often have a fan going too. But I do these things to help with climbing, not to prevent chalk/dust build up.

If I ever go too many days between vacuuming, the living room isn't the room that I notice first. It's always the bathroom that I notice it first, thanks to the black tiles that the previous owners fitted. They show up every spec of dust.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Home board chalk
June 29, 2023, 10:11:31 pm
I'm not a fan of liquid chalk outside - but I used it exclusively on my woody/cellar wall. I find its fine especially on wooden holds - and makes much less mess.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal