UKBouldering.com

Magic wood travel (Read 1395 times)

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
Magic wood travel
June 20, 2023, 11:19:04 am
Hi all,
I am considering a trip to magic wood for a week in August and was wondering about the best options for travel. I seem to recall discussions on here before about where is best to fly into/hire a car (I couldn't find them but if anyone knows the thread I'm happy to just go back through that). Is it better to go to northern Italy and hop across the border or fly into Switzerland?
Also any other help or suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks!

Bradders

• forum hero
#1 Re: Magic wood travel
June 20, 2023, 11:35:13 am
Ha, great minds! Currently considering the exact same thing. Apparently you can get public transport all the way from Zurich Airport, which is the closest, right to the venue, and if you camp you don't then need a car as you're so close to the boulders and everything is all in a remarkably small area. Not sure if that might all be a bit much with pads etc. though! But likely to be the cheapest option.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2 Re: Magic wood travel
June 20, 2023, 11:35:33 am
Went a few years ago, flying to Milan Bergamo and hiring a car to drive over.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Magic wood travel
June 20, 2023, 12:46:48 pm
Thanks, it looks like flights to Milan are the same price as Zurich but the car hire is significantly cheaper. Did you have to pay any extras for crossing into Switzerland, or for the Swiss toll roads (do they still require the vignette's)?
Thanks a lot for all the help

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Magic wood travel
June 20, 2023, 01:19:50 pm
Don’t recall any road costs beyond hire, we arrived late, got a cheap apartment in the countryside north of Milan and next day just drove north over the mountains to Magic Wood.

yetix

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Magic wood travel
June 20, 2023, 01:51:31 pm
I went from Milan last year, you still required vignette's then.

Have heard people doing whag Nick said and then hiring extra pads (but this depends what bohdi has available when you go)

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Magic wood travel
June 20, 2023, 02:54:58 pm
Logistics wise what would you do for food with no car?
Big rucksack full of food bought on the way and top up with eye-wateringly expensive stuff within walking distance?

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#7 Re: Magic wood travel
June 20, 2023, 03:00:24 pm
I've approached from Milan and Zurich, hiring a car each time. Zurich more convenient for sure as you don't have to deal with navigating past those big tourist-filled lakes and is closer (I think)

honroid

• addict
#8 Re: Magic wood travel
June 23, 2023, 07:37:56 pm
Milan and the train is a joy. The train up is one of the best I've been on in my life. Huge viaducts that circle themselves, beautiful scenic valleys and mountains. I did it a few years ago in October and it was such a good way to get there. Pad wasn't an issue. As for food, I ended up getting a lift to Aldi(? Lidl maybe?) with some climbers. Easy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal