UKBouldering.com

Women who have climbed Deliverance at Stanage (Read 9069 times)

remus

• forum hero
Anyone aware of any ascents?

Visiting comp wad Quinn Mason did it recently (https://www.instagram.com/p/CqvedIxr1Dr/) and suggested it could be the FFA. Seems kinda surprising that the FFA of such a popular problem has had to wait so long, especially with the likes of Shauna living 15mins away.

battery

• obsessive maniac
Surely Mina has done it?

CapitalistPunter

• addict
Mathew Wright

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
I have jokingly stated in the past that I'm the smallest person to have done this. I'm 174cm ish with a negative ape index. I googled and Quinn is 172.

All wild speculation but maybe the pool of women tall enough and good enough to do this is quite small?

Dingdong

• forum abuser
I have jokingly stated in the past that I'm the smallest person to have done this. I'm 174cm ish with a negative ape index. I googled and Quinn is 172.

All wild speculation but maybe the pool of women tall enough and good enough to do this is quite small?

Jim Pope might give you a run for your money  :lol:

yetix

• forum abuser
Pretty sure Popes span is pretty big though?

ferret

• forum abuser

A friend who is 167 (I think but might be shorter) did it about 20 years ago. He has a +6(") ape index though. I think how much you can lean away from the side pull is as/more important than your height (with the high foot method).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 03:50:38 am by ferret »

ferret

• forum abuser
Another factor here is that women appear to have a significant genetic disadvantage vs men when it comes to jumping.
Only 7 women in the WNBA have dunked, bizarrely more men have walked on the moon (12). This is despite there being 38 women 6'6" or above having played in the league and the shortest man to dunk in the NBA being only 5'7".
Most of us tend adopt a style that plays to our strengths, I'd hazad a guess that this leads women to avoid big dynos and are less likely to develop good technique on them (like me!).
Sounds like a great effort from Quinn (and also Pope who I'd imagine is the shortest ascentionist, even if it's miles below his limit on paper).

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
Great effort Quinn! I don’t know of any other female ascents which is kind of astonishing to me.

People are seriously overestimating by the need to be tall for this. I’m 167 with a negative ape index. I used to find it fine until I broke my ankle on it - now I can’t commit! I’d wager Pete Dawson’s done it and he’s shorter still. Much more important to be springy in the legs

Vics

I’m 167 with a negative ape index. I used to find it fine until I broke my ankle on it - now I can’t commit!

Inspiring Stu. Off to give it a go. Will send pic later from A+E.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The difference between men and women in jumping is substantially bigger than in running events e.g.

https://commons.nmu.edu/isbs/vol38/iss1/32/

UnkArl

• player
I was there one CWIF weekend (or maybe BIFF…) and Shauna was giving the WADs a tour; Melissa La Neve was trying it, Janja took one look, shook her head and walked away  ;D

Bradders

• forum hero
That reminds me I was there a while ago and Melissa le Neve was trying it. Pretty sure she didn't do it, although my abiding memory is more how wonderfully friendly and psyched she was.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
Great effort Quinn! I don’t know of any other female ascents which is kind of astonishing to me.

People are seriously overestimating by the need to be tall for this. I’m 167 with a negative ape index. I used to find it fine until I broke my ankle on it - now I can’t commit! I’d wager Pete Dawson’s done it and he’s shorter still. Much more important to be springy in the legs

Pete hasn’t done it as far as I’m aware. I’m same height as you and find the jump quite bloody hard!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Impressive stuff Stu. I found it hard and have never managed to repeat it.

It sounds like the only shorter people to do it are also 8b boulderers?

Is it really that rare than shorties do it?

El Mocho

• forum abuser
I'm 167 and I've done it (only once, I found it really hard)

It sounds like the only shorter people to do it also have also climbed Superman, who would have thought the skillsets for those two would overlap so much.

Dawson needs to step up. Stu, Jim and me all used Deliverance as training for Superman, Pete has done it all in the wrong order.

ps surely Johnny D has done it??

pps I only posted this so I could get to tell everyone I've done Superman and Deliverance. HALAM.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
HALAY. I knew there was a reason you’re my hero.

Pete really needs to stop pissing about at raven Tor and pull his finger out.

Really interesting to find out about the huge differential between men and women in jumping. Makes me wonder if it’s all power based sports or if there’s something specific about jumps.

Definitely puts Quinn’s event into perspective. 

Kingy

• forum hero
Johnny is on the cover of an old High magazine from 1994 trying Deliverance. No idea if he did it. No pad and luxuriant grass under the problem

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

It sounds like the only shorter people to do it also have also climbed Superman, who would have thought the skillsets for those two would overlap so much.
:lol: Does JB lap Superman too?

Dingdong

• forum abuser

remus

• forum hero
pps I only posted this so I could get to tell everyone I've done Superman and Deliverance. HALAM.

Quote from: UrbanDictionary link=https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Halam
a combinations of the word Halal and Haram.
halal = pure
haram = unpure

Every day is a school day.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
And then you have Leon who’s done it one handed  :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnpNxJFKnoi/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

In the comments there Johnny Dawes confirms he did it one handed in 1993, along with West Side Story to the break and NTBA.

36chambers

• forum hero

Max Milne did deliverance recently

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqBTGOhD6r6/

he's 166 cm according to his IFSC profile (assuming it's up to date with his final form). No idea if he's done Superman, but I'd imagine he could.

36chambers

• forum hero

I'm remember watching Jacob Cook breeze it one handed about 10 years ago. I think he also tried it left hand only, but I can't remember the outcome.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

In the comments there Johnny Dawes confirms he did it one handed in 1993, along with West Side Story to the break and NTBA.

That's a hell of a link-up...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal