UKBouldering.com

Summer climbing and road biking holiday suggestions (Read 2387 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Been to the Briancon area quite a few times and looking for a similar alternative this year in the Alps but possibly elsewhere (Pyrenees?) where my son Tom can do some steep hill climbs and I can do some steep rock climbs. We will most likely be driving. Any suggestions?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
July or August?

The Pyrenees are tricky if you are not willing to do long hikes in to climb. It is definitely easier to find better conditions in the Alps for sport climbing. I live close to the Pyrenees and I mostly do not climb there during summer, except for long routes. In Cavallers there are some nice sectors at 2000 masl (not mentioned in the Andrada/O'Donovan guide book) but the hike in is pretty brutal.

Norway?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Late August/early Sept.

Sounds like weather is unstable in the Pyrenees. Can’t imagine Norway would be any better weather wise given my past experiences there.

Where in the Alps for a change?

Foron/Morzine worked well before from a climbing point though no idea what the road biking is like there

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
July or August?

The Pyrenees are tricky if you are not willing to do long hikes in to climb. It is definitely easier to find better conditions in the Alps for sport climbing. I live close to the Pyrenees and I mostly do not climb there during summer, except for long routes. In Cavallers there are some nice sectors at 2000 masl (not mentioned in the Andrada/O'Donovan guide book) but the hike in is pretty brutal.

Norway?

Are you saying it’s too hot in the summer? I’d of thought the Pyrenees were a pretty good biking and sport climbing destination. However if we get temps like last summer it wouldn’t, but I think the Alps suffer similarly in that respect.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
Mallorca. Fly & drive.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Late August/early Sept.

Sounds like weather is unstable in the Pyrenees. Can’t imagine Norway would be any better weather wise given my past experiences there.

I think the weather will be uniformly too hot.

Where in the Alps for a change?

At the risk of being too obvious... Céüse? Switzerland has some OK sport climbing, also multipitch in Wenden, the best rock in the world, bar possibly Peña Santa.

Otherwise Gorges du Verdon can be brilliant at that time of the year. There's a lot of single pitch climbing to do there as well.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Foron/Morzine worked well before from a climbing point though no idea what the road biking is like there

There are some classic road bike climbs in the area, the loop up to Praz de Lys, Avoriaz,via Lac du Montriond and the Goat Village, up to the stunning Cirque du Fer a Cheval and the one up to Flaine. I'm sure Webbo has been there a bit and can give you deets, but it's wall to wall road bikers in the summer. I personally prefer Les Gets to Morzine as a base.

IanP

• forum abuser

There are some classic road bike climbs in the area, the loop up to Praz de Lys, Avoriaz,via Lac du Montriond and the Goat Village, up to the stunning Cirque du Fer a Cheval and the one up to Flaine. I'm sure Webbo has been there a bit and can give you deets, but it's wall to wall road bikers in the summer. I personally prefer Les Gets to Morzine as a base.

I'd back this , Morzine area is significantly better for road (and mountain) biking than it is for climbing so if you're happy with the climbing I would say it's very unlikely that Tom wouldn't have a great time.

webbo

• forum hero
You only need to know one the thing about Morzine and that’s  the Col du Joux Plane.
Plus the ones on the other side of Cluses, they occasionally feature in some race they have in France during most summers.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Jonas

Thanks for the suggestion. I may be dependent on my wife for belays so multipitch is definitely out and the big walk in to Ceuse is pushing it. Is Verdon good for road biking ?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Ian P/Webbo/SA Chris - thanks. Sounds great for Tom and Foron is good enough for me. I’ll check out Les Gets for accommodation and see if I can entice Rob B to join us again

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Jonas
Is Verdon good for road biking ?
I have no idea really. The left bank would be great I'd think (and much less traffic as well). Friends are telling me that it is great for mountain bikes. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
You could do Cita dei Sassi in the Dolomites. High level (as in altitude, not grade) sport climbing and bouldering, loads of biking etc.

It's not the Verdon, but could be interesting as an alternative.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I’ll check out Les Gets for accommodation and see if I can entice Rob B to join us again

Sadly my relatives just sold their place there in February :(

SA Chris

• forum hero
Col du Joux Plane.

Thank you, couldn't remember name.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
You could do Cita dei Sassi in the Dolomites. High level (as in altitude, not grade) sport climbing and bouldering, loads of biking etc.

It's not the Verdon, but could be interesting as an alternative.

And you might hear the mysterious animal grunting sounds of a certain Italian motorbike riding cellar dweller roaming round the boulders...  (likely not as I'm not sure Nibs gets out much these days?)

webbo

• forum hero
The ones on the other side of Cluses are the Arvis and Colombiere.
I might be out there myself at the end of August, early September. Ferry is booked and the idea is to go somewhere round Samoens.
Not sure I can get both the bike and a pad in the car though.

T_B

• forum hero
I’d try and convince son that there’s good riding to be had at Gorges du Tarn (certainly the one steep climb out of the valley whilst not Alpine, looks quite good and the road is quiet). Tarn is brilliant for a quick hit as there’s so much roadside climbing and the river is beautiful. Millau is really nice too. As long as you’re out of the full sun end of August is fine.

Or for somewhere with world class riding and not so great (summer) climbing might be around Buis/Mont Ventoux? Or I’ve done some sport climbing in summer in the Ubaye/Annot area. Shade/early starts required. Amazing riding by all accounts. Good trail running.

Northern Spain?

seankenny

• forum hero
I did a trip to Buis in the first week of September and it was much too hot for me, but I’m not great climbing in the heat.

Asturias would be a good call, no idea about the cycling mind.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Sectors Face Nord and Baleine at St Léger du Ventoux could be possible at that time. And the area is super famous for road bikes.

Areas around Hermida are also a possible maybe at that time. I can't recall having seen much biking going on there. Same for Gorges du Tarn.

I pretty much veto the south side of the Pyrenees before end of September.

Paul B

• forum hero
I've found Epic Road Rides a good resource for planning my cycling holidays:
https://epicroadrides.com/

I'd assume Tom is familiar with using Komoot's 'discover' function and other services for looking at potential routes? I've found it quite useful when visiting an area.
https://www.komoot.com/discover

Northern Yob had some good beta regarding Girona (I think Hotel Mas Pelegrí was the recommendation). I'm not sure it'd be my pick at that time of year (someone mentioned northern Spain).
https://www.maspelegri.com/

Mallorca has been mentioned. I wouldn't contemplate that personally; I've gone both early and late season and had temperatures that are more than enough for this Brit. I visited last year and the island also felt quite expensive compared to previous visits and when compared to the mainland.

If you end up looking at Italy, Spain or France it might be worth buying a copy of Simon Warren's book (the latest of which is published by none other than a sponsor of this forum). Here's Spain as an example (I have this):
https://www.adventurebooks.com/collections/latest-titles/products/100-greatest-cycling-climbs-of-spain

I'd be more use giving beta for the seasons which the UK is less likely to be good (Calpe, Girona, Mallorca, Gran Canaria & Lanzarote). Calpe offers outrageously good value for package holidays which could suit the climb/ride combination if it's going to be a more regular occurrence.

Are you looking to fly or drive? Jet2 are very reasonable when it comes to flying with a bike (33kg). I've been disappointed one too many times with a hire bike.

Teaboy

• forum hero
I was going to suggest Schleier Waterfall (for no other reason than I want someone to tell me what it’s like) but I see the walk in to the main crag is a bit meaty so I’m no longer interested. Funnily enough Fi and I were talking about going back to Briancon in Aug/Sept but we’ve been too shit to organise anything and I wanted to find a partner to do something on Aguille Diabona and Aiguille Sialouze before committing

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Wow. Thanks for all the suggestions and beta.  :great:

I’ll get Tom to read the thread and take it from there

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal