UKBouldering.com

Replacing Atom SV (Read 1412 times)

Durbs

• forum hero
Replacing Atom SV
February 02, 2023, 01:52:15 pm
After 10 well-worn years, my Atom SV needs to be replaced; the zip's borked, it's horribly stained (which given it's bright green is quite obvious), and isn't as lofty as we all once were.

They no longer make it anymore - only offering the LT (lightweight) and AR (All Round), and I suspect the former is too thin for a sitting round the campsite in a cold evening/morning, and the latter to thick to go under my hardshell.

Any suggestions for alternatives?
Ideally synthetic as, much as I don't like geese, I'm happy to let them at least keep their feathers if they agree not to attack me.

Looking for something warm enough to chuck on between attempts, sling over a t-shirt to walk to the shops on a cold morning, or camping in late spring/early autumn, that can also go under the hard-shell for cold & wet days.
When it was new and lovely - the SV fit the bill perfectly, so a little sad it's gone.

Note, I'm not a hardcore winter climber, venturing out in -8, and we only camp with kids so again, so not looking for anything extreme. But equally I loved that I could wear a single layer under the SV, and go on a bike-ride in the snow and not feel cold...

Price not that important, as long as it lasts.10 years from the last one, so £17 p/a seems a fair price.

T_B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Replacing Atom SV
February 02, 2023, 02:04:18 pm
I’ve got one of the new ME Shelterstone jackets. Hits that sweet spot weight-wise for me and the shell fabric feels pretty weatherproof. V good hood.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#2 Re: Replacing Atom SV
February 02, 2023, 04:18:47 pm
Since you're willing to spend top dollar for the right jacket, it's worth remembering that 100% of Patagonia's profits now go to climate change charities and they generally make good kit.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Replacing Atom SV
February 02, 2023, 08:24:47 pm
Am I misunderstanding as I thought that the Arc'Teryx range was:

LT - lightweight
AR - all round
SV - severe

And, I thought that would make the AR less thick than the SV? I have the AR and it's great. I don't do any winter climbing but I do live in Lancashire and the weather is continuously shit.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Replacing Atom SV
February 02, 2023, 08:35:45 pm

LT - lightweight
AR - all round
SV - severe

And, I thought that would make the AR less thick than the SV? I have the AR and it's great. I don't do any winter climbing but I do live in Lancashire and the weather is continuously shit.
+1 although I live in Greater Manchester so the weather is even worse.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Replacing Atom SV
February 03, 2023, 05:32:42 am
Sounds like the Nuclei FL or Nuclei SV would do the job well. I've been super impressed with my FL and used it quite happily for ski touring, belaying at zero degrees etc. The SV is a slightly warmer, thicker version of that.

Durbs

• forum hero
#6 Re: Replacing Atom SV
February 03, 2023, 08:13:04 am

LT - lightweight
AR - all round
SV - severe

That is correct, but in terms of actual loft-fill, the old SV Atom, is less than the current AR of it I believe.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Replacing Atom SV
February 03, 2023, 02:38:31 pm
I can't say I've tried it yet but I'm happy to see how ridiculous it feels beneath another layer (also Arc'Gucc 8))?

I bought it the year prior to the pandemic starting for a trip to Madagascar to carry in case I got stuck somewhere

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Replacing Atom SV
February 03, 2023, 02:57:11 pm
Following with interest as my MEC synthetic puffa is loosing its loft and the shell is wearing through.

Since you're willing to spend top dollar for the right jacket, it's worth remembering that 100% of Patagonia's profits now go to climate change charities and they generally make good kit.

Generally I'm a fan, I'll wearing one of my two R1 hoodies 80% of the year. I briefly owned a Nanopuff which are to 2020s US climbers as Rab duvets were to Sheffield boulders in the 00s. Wasn't impressed with the boxy cut or the insulation and quickly sold it on. Are any of their other offerings much better?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#9 Re: Replacing Atom SV
February 03, 2023, 03:08:19 pm
My Atom AR at 6+ yrs is now rather thin and battered, but still a good top layer when it’s not freezing cold. One thought about Arcter’Gucci.

I can get Montane at trade and they make great quality stuff, so you’d think it’s a no brainer. However, when I replace the Atom I’ll buy another Arcteryx at whatever sale price I can find. The fit of the Arcteryx is so much better, it’s worth paying twice the price for something that will last over 5 years. It’s probably  an extra £20 a year at the end of the day.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#10 Re: Replacing Atom SV
February 03, 2023, 03:58:52 pm
Following with interest as my MEC synthetic puffa is loosing its loft and the shell is wearing through.

Generally I'm a fan, I'll wearing one of my two R1 hoodies 80% of the year. I briefly owned a Nanopuff which are to 2020s US climbers as Rab duvets were to Sheffield boulders in the 00s. Wasn't impressed with the boxy cut or the insulation and quickly sold it on. Are any of their other offerings much better?

I've had a Nano Air for around 6 or 7 years and it's been my most worn jacket ever. It has synthetic insulation and is extremely comfortable, breathable and lightweight. The inner and outer material isn't the usual swishy stuff on most insulated jackets so it's even nice to wear around the house. I use it like a fleece (but lighter and warmer) for winter bouldering and wear it over a thin base layer; however, it's not the warmest jacket and I throw a belay jacket over the top when resting. It might not be warm enough for the OP's needs but I'm sure they do warmer jackets in their collection.

Patagonia is generally boxy fitting, but get with the times Duncan - slim fit was so 2010's  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal