UKBouldering.com

Quad Strain Recovery Beta (Read 636 times)

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
Quad Strain Recovery Beta
March 01, 2023, 08:18:30 am
Last night I was rocking up from a deep squat on a boulder and felt a nice pop in my quad as some of the muscle decided it wasn't having fun. I'm happy enough that it's a low grade injury because I've got full ROM (with pain) and no bruising. My experience with similar things is that they heal up quite quickly but what are the recommendations for a) treating it well the next couple of weeks and b) any specific tips for future rehab. My legs are fairly strong (10+ pistol squats on both sides) but clearly something was under-conditioned here so keen to sort that out for the future.

I'm assuming simply keeping it moving and avoiding painful positions initially is good but interested if there's any specific wisdom to be had for the acute healing process.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1 Re: Quad Strain Recovery Beta
March 01, 2023, 08:34:05 am
Where in your quad is it? Mine was the inside lower part (vastus medialis I think), above the knee. Took months to get properly better but it was probably worse than yours as I couldn’t walk up stairs without pain. I still feel it a bit when on long approaches.

Here’s the advice I got on here.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Quad Strain Recovery Beta
March 01, 2023, 09:00:40 am
Where in your quad is it? Mine was the inside lower part (vastus medialis I think), above the knee. Took months to get properly better but it was probably worse than yours as I couldn’t walk up stairs without pain. I still feel it a bit when on long approaches.

Here’s the advice I got on here.

Right at the top in the middle (google suggests right vastus intermedius). Walking up stairs is fine, uneven/downhill is painful but it was literally yesterday. Obviously it's stiffened up a bit now and I'm not pushing it but I tested the ROM and could basically do everything except put load through it in the angle/direction it got strained (obviously, I suppose). Thanks, I'll check it out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal