UKBouldering.com

Qatar World Cup (Read 20560 times)

gme

• forum hero
#75 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 23, 2022, 09:50:09 pm
Another cracking game tonight. Feel for Canada after they fully dominated the game.
Belgium looked pretty average for a team of superstars.
Davies is some player.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#76 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 24, 2022, 08:40:32 am
Canada must be gutted for not putting the penalty away.

Argentina and Germany games were remarkably similar; early pen, goal disallowed, then their "weaker" opponents put in 2 in the second half and then shut them down.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#77 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 24, 2022, 09:59:15 am
Canada must be gutted for not putting the penalty away.

Argentina and Germany games were remarkably similar; early pen, goal disallowed, then their "weaker" opponents put in 2 in the second half and then shut them down.

The unusual and unexpected results are pretty interesting, are they a result of tournament timing, warm conditions, or just one of those things?
A R5live commentator made the good point that the Germany result isn't actually surprising, as their international record has been poor for a few years : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany_national_football_team_results_(2020%E2%80%93present)
Most of their wins are against very weak opposition, and they don't seem to have had many victories over decent opposition. It's a bit more like what you'd expect out of an England record! Now I've said that though, they'll probably win...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#78 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 24, 2022, 11:10:30 am
just one of those things?

Just one of those things. Always upsets in every major tournament, what makes them interesting. Complacency, not enough team training, fatigue from tournament being mid season for a lot of players. You could blame temps, but doesn't really make sense.

As you say, they might iron out issues and still go on to win, but mentally damage may have been done.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#79 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 24, 2022, 03:56:02 pm
https://metro.co.uk/2022/11/23/denmark-fa-open-to-leaving-fifa-with-other-nations-after-onelove-armband-clash-17813991/

Looks like this may have greater implications for football.

I though Infantio's comments about people being jailed for same sex relationships is like him being bullied for being ginger were pretty shocking.

wasbeen

• menacing presence
#80 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 24, 2022, 04:07:17 pm
This line from the metro article struck me:

"There are 211 countries in FIFA and I understand that the current president has statements of support from 207 countries" said DBU chairman Jesper Moller.

I am pretty sure we among the spineless 207.

SA Chris

• forum hero

wasbeen

• menacing presence
#82 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 24, 2022, 06:05:55 pm
I am not sure the Sun article says anything other than Denmark are (hoping) to hold talks with the 55 UEFA members which includes England.

We never walk the walk.

TobyD

• forum hero
#83 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 24, 2022, 10:52:29 pm
just one of those things?

Just one of those things. Always upsets in every major tournament, what makes them interesting. Complacency, not enough team training, fatigue from tournament being mid season for a lot of players. You could blame temps, but doesn't really make sense.

As you say, they might iron out issues and still go on to win, but mentally damage may have been done.

It seems that there are more unusual results in this world cup than previous ones; not just upsets, the big scores too.
Brazil look pretty impressive ...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#84 Re: Qatar World Cup
November 25, 2022, 08:31:24 am
It happens. I seem to recall a few top teams not getting through group stages in 2002.

Makes it a lot more interesting.

Richarlison's goal was a belter. Display of supreme confidence in your abilities.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#85 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 03:25:38 pm
Crunch time. Predictions?

Ged

• junky
#86 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 04:34:06 pm
I have a good feeling about the France match. I think we'll win 2-1. This looks like such a strong squad that England have.

We'll beat Netherlands 2-0 in the semis

Brazil look like they'll take some beating so I think they'll win the final 2-0

You heard it here first

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#87 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 04:42:07 pm

Netherlands are on the other side of the draw. The winner of England- France will play one of Spain, Morocco, Portugal or Switzerland in the semis.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#88 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 05:01:55 pm

Netherlands are on the other side of the draw. The winner of England- France will play one of Spain, Morocco, Portugal or Switzerland in the semis.

I think France are beatable, and then any of those 4 in the semis should be an easier game. England have looked great so far and we have such depth in the squad - you could make a second team out of the pool of players which is not much worse than the first team. That counts for a lot in a tournament.

Agree with Ged about an Eng-Bra final, though I (naively?) believe we can go all the way. 3-1 to England 🤞

SA Chris

• forum hero
#89 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 05:04:34 pm
Agree with lukey, playmakers on the bench. Hopefully Sterling will be back. Shit thing to happen, but I don't think he (or anyone in his family) will want him to miss the game.

Going to be a belter of a match i think.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#90 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 05:28:22 pm

England - France is one of those matches that happens too early in the tournament- the semis should be France- England and Brazil- Argentina really. Those are the four strongest sides.

I’m less optimistic about England’s chances but I certainly don’t think that it’s out of the question that we’ll win. Whoever wins will surely go to the final and play one of Argentina or Brazil.

I reckon we’re looking at one of those “plays brilliantly, scores loads of amazing goals but then goes out to stubborn opposition and everyone cries” Brazil sides myself so let’s say Argentina.

Who knows who’ll win the final. Maybe Argentina. They’re due one.

TobyD

• forum hero
#91 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 05:51:30 pm
I don't know... Mbappé is clearly pretty hard to defend against and France have a lot of other decent players as well. That said, England were good in the last game, against a decent side.

It's a shame Japan didn't get further on in the tournament, I think.

Ged

• junky
#92 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 06:10:07 pm
I know maguire gets a lot of stick, but stones and walker are a core part of defense for possibly the best team in Europe at the moment. They'll do a decent job of shackling him I think.

My mistake, for some reason I thought we had the winner of argentine Netherlands. Who would we face in the semis then?

Edit. Just checked. Morocco, Portugal or Switzerland. That seems eminently doable. Portugal always seemed to be a bogey team didn't they, but I'm not sure that matters these days. Not sure how good they look this year either. Ronaldo seems to becoming more of a hindrance than a help.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#93 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 07:58:02 pm
Agree with lukey, playmakers on the bench. Hopefully Sterling will be back. Shit thing to happen, but I don't think he (or anyone in his family) will want him to miss the game.

I think there's an all but zero chance of Sterling playing. He's still in the UK and even if he was in Qatar he's out of form compared to both Rashford and Foden. I think we'll be unchanged.

Agree with Ged about Mbappe. Stones and Walker are more than capable, plus Maguire could be valuable for defending crosses as France have been putting a lot in. He's also due a bad game!

Even if Japan had beaten Croatia, which they should have done in normal time before taking some of the worst penalties I've ever seen, they would have lost to Brazil anyway.

mark20

• junky
#94 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 08:11:09 pm
France will be a very tough game, but England haven't really been tested yet so it will be interesting to see how we get on. I think with our attacking quality it isn't a write off, but France and Brazil look quite a lot better than every other team in the tournament to me.

I'm hoping we play the same starting 11 but my concern is Southgate bottles it and plays 3 at the back, to double up Walker and Trippier on Mbappe, which leaves us with a thin midfield and an isolated front 3

Ged

• junky
#95 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 08:19:06 pm
Seems the key to penalties in this world Cup is to just bloody whack it hard. So many attempts at fooling the keeper and passing it into the net have been saved so far. The Japanese and the Spanish penalties were dreadful.

As for France, they lost to Tunisia. So clearly not that superior.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#96 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 08:39:37 pm
It's a shame Japan didn't get further on in the tournament, I think.

Yeah I don’t think any neutral was happy with their result. Croatia are like Real Madrid in the sense that no matter how much older, slower and weaker (and less entertaining!) they look than the opposition they can just find a goal from nowhere and capitalise on the destabilising effect it has on a less confident opponent.

I feel like so much of cup football comes down to which teams have this feeling that the narrative is with them, that they’ll just progress like they always do and of course in the international game you can’t buy that experience in so you’ll have the “serial winners” who’ve done it all before in your side for their whole career. That’s why I find it easier to picture France (who made 10 changes against Tunisia) in the semis than England- we’re so much less of a Japan than we used to be but while I can picture us scoring past them and stopping them scoring I can’t really see a situation where we’re on top after 90/ 120 minutes.

Ronaldo seems to becoming more of a hindrance than a help.

:agree: He’s a liability these days really. They’ve started this match without him and it’s not going badly! Obviously Switzerland aren’t the best side out there but the semi looks like less of a formality by the minute…  :lol:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#97 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 08:49:04 pm
The Spanish penalty shoot-out was a distillation / Platonic ideal of their previous hours' efforts - around a thousand passes, most in the central area of the pitch, and only one shot on target. Morocco, despite having a lot less of the ball, seemed worth at least a draw (pretty much the same xG).  Looks like thrashing Costa Rica isn't necessarily a sign of great deeds to come.

I feel a bit sorry for Southgate - if he keeps with 442 and France win, he will be accused of being tactically naive and not mitigating the threat of Mbappe.  If we play 343, he will be accused of cowardice and not playing to England's strengths.  This from fans / journalists whose assertions about which players England should start imply they think 4-1-4 / 4-2-3 is the formation to use.  This despite most successful international teams (except for perhaps Italy at the last Euros) being pretty cagey - lots of easily coached at short notice defensive solidity, and relying on the odd moment of magic to score.

IanP

• forum abuser
#98 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 09:30:07 pm
As for France, they lost to Tunisia. So clearly not that superior.

Very much not a full strength team (they were already through) and maybe lacking in commitment as well.

This from the Guardian live reporting made me laugh:

'France are currently playing like a tribute act to the normal starting XI. Very much the Friday night at a working men’s club version of Mbappe et al. I am not sure you could charge entry.'

Wellsy

• forum hero
#99 Re: Qatar World Cup
December 06, 2022, 10:53:22 pm
I reckon England have a great chance against France. I think that they'd have a good chance against Brazil and a very good chance against Argentina too.

IMO when England are on top form they're the best team in the tournament. And even when they aren't they are defensively strong enough to get back in the game. Huge amount of capability in every position, depth on the bench, they have what it takes.

If England don't win I hope Morocco does obvs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal