UKBouldering.com

Todmorden/Bridestones for 3 months...Good idea/Bad idea? (Read 3974 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
So here's the deal, Robinwood are advertising a job for a climbing instructor in Todmorden, and from the sounds of it it's only half a mile from Bridestones. Pay is minimum wage, but accomodation is only 85quid a month, as is food, so it might work out quite well in terns of saving a bit of money. Plus there are 3 days off a week. They sound like quite a good company to work for:

http://www.robinwood-outdoor-adventure-jobs.co.uk/

But the crux of the matter is, will it be worth it in terms of the bouldering? Are January, February and March good times to be around the Bridestones, or will they just be wet and horrible most of the time? And is there enough to do for 3 months? (I wouldn't have a car, so travel isn't really an option..)

Any local wisdom appreciated, cheers.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
From Todmorden you could easily bike it to the Bridestones. They have no drainage and stay dry most of the winter, and there is now Hugencroft open, just over the road. It is one of the largest bouldering areas in the UK, so plenty to keep you busy. Plus you can easily get to other spots by bus and/or hitching; Widdop and Heptonstall off the top of my head.
Plus I would reckon there are other instructors you could cadge lifts from. Or by a cheapo runaround with 3 months mot on it. Get into a shop and have a look at the Yorkshire Bouldering Guide.

If you dont have a job at the moment and like instructing/have necessary qualifications I would say go for it.

Check this map http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/map.jsp and some of the links on the left of that page.

a dense loner

• forum hero
i would do it on the proviso that you take a hat. the wind is bitter but the cinditions on the moor will be unbelievable

r-man

• forum hero
All sounds good. So rain shouldn't be to much of a problem, just wind?

I might even take two hats...

Mike_H

• menacing presence
I used to bump in to one of the girls that worked at Robinwood from time to time, she seemed to really enjoy it and managed to get out quite a bit.

There is loads to do at the Bridestones and from Todmorden you can walk there fairly easily.

You'll be able to get quite a bit done as invariably you can always get something done apart from on wet days but the same goes for anywhere I guess.

As for 3 months, you'll probably get a bit sick and tired of it by then but you can always go over towards Widdop, Clattering Stones, Dovestones, Gorple possibly Scout Crag depending on how it stands with CROW now.

nik at work

• forum hero
I know a bloke who works there, I'll ask him what it's like when I next see him (he's also a v keen boulderer).

Bridies is ace, not made it to hugencroft yet (bastard DIY deadlines, grrrrr).

WARNING - It rains reasonably regularly in Tod...

P.S. If you do get the job drop me a PM, I live in tod and should be taking up climbing again sometime in december....

r-man

• forum hero
Cheers for the info everyone.

I'll get in touch if I get the job Nik.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal