UKBouldering.com

How to build a woodie (Read 438683 times)

sasscotty

• addict
#75 Re: How to build a woodie
July 10, 2006, 11:44:29 am
[img]With very limited space I have decided to go with a little woodie like this one. I found the pic on fusionfortyseven.com.
I don't have a clue as to who the guys on it are though.http://www.fusionfortyseven.com/photos/FirstWall.jpg

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#76 Re: How to build a woodie
July 10, 2006, 04:36:20 pm

Bit steep though innit?

sasscotty

• addict
#77 Re: How to build a woodie
July 10, 2006, 06:16:44 pm
yeah I'm not gonna have it as steep as that though, but it will be the same sort of shape

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#78 Re: How to build a woodie
August 13, 2006, 04:37:36 pm
Finally, after years and years of hard mental graft, leaving my day job and moving back home to devote time to pestering him, the old man has given the nod for a board in the garage! Work begins very soon and when complete, any of the usual suspects from the Wirral/Liverpool posse wanting to join us for some winter board sessions are welcome to do so. Does anyone have any plans for a chain based jobby with a hinged middle so as it sits flush to the wall and ceiling when not in use? Thinking a rack and pinion device might be suitable for sitting it flush to the ceiling. I'd be keen to hear from those who have built such systems.

neil@canaryclimbs

• menacing presence
    • http://www.customholds.com
#79 Re: How to build a woodie
August 18, 2006, 02:11:03 pm
A new extention to the old wall, bit stiched in the old photoshop, but you get the idea

this wall is big

(woz)

• forum abuser
#80 Re: How to build a woodie
September 04, 2006, 12:26:13 pm
Due to the joys of student rented accomodation, my board had to be small, cheap and leave no trace of ever being there. Here's what happened...

buy/make a load of tiny holds and screw em' on - cue huge blisters

attach to large family car - cue breaking free of ropes and very nearly flying off onto the motorway, and an emergency stop on the hard shoulder. luckily more ropes were on hand.

It now resides in the spare room of my house. The base rests in the corner of the room, and the beams brace against the other corner - with no fixing required. I was very sceptical before it was in place, but it is perfectly solid, and the beams don't get in the way. The steepness can be increased very easily by chopping off the ends of the beams. I was also worried about the lack of kickboard, but this doesn't seem to be a problem.
I would like to take this opportunity to open it to all UKBers in the area ;) Long may she stand

sasscotty

• addict
#81 Re: How to build a woodie
September 04, 2006, 04:21:09 pm
I PM'd you woz.

scotty.

LL55

• player
  • Shelly Hocknell is weapon
#82 Help building my woodie
November 24, 2006, 03:46:40 pm
Hello,

I'm designing/constructing a freestanding woodie in my garage at home, I have 3 sheets of 3/4 inch ply - 8"x4", and am going to attach it to a triagular frame at about 65 degrees. I'm concerned that when in place it will bow in the middle - it will be 12' across, and have a 2"x4" stud frame for the ply behind.

Is there anything else I'd need to do to make sure it wouldn't bow in the middle when pulled on? or would the 2 frames be enough? (I can't attach it to anything in the garage as it needs rebuilding eventually....

Any tips are very much appreciated

chappers

• forum hero
#83 Re: Help building my woodie
November 27, 2006, 12:39:57 pm
65 degrees.

as in the board will be at an angle of 65 degrees?

if i have misunderstood ignore the following...

i would not recomend a board at 65 degrees, about 50 should be max (IMHO). tom's/greg's woodie in lancaster is 50 and that feels steep as fook. i think the steepest board in the school is only 50.

a board too steep might force you to use big holds, therefor negating any advance in finger strength.

mine is 40, and i used to get good use of it (moving 250 miles away makes it a bit inconvenient for a quick session now).

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#84 Re: How to build a woodie
November 29, 2006, 11:06:22 pm
I'm finally moving house next week (fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong) and I have the potential for a very cool woodie/training room.

Its the top room in my house, and is the space where the roof comes up to its highest point. So I have 2 sloping angles leading to the ceiling's high point.

The last time I actaully had chance to look around the room was a while ago so I'm doing most of this of a vague memory. But from what I can recall, both sloping roofes had 3 or 4 horizontal beams running across them. This would lead me to believe I can bolt plywood(?) to these beams and then holds to the plywood thus creating my own kick ass traing woodie in the top of my house. My only concerns are to the stability of the beams. I know this sounds like a daft question as they hold the frigging roof up, but i was wondering if anyone had built a similar set up before? It would be at a similar angle to Malc's board on the splinter video posted recently:

But possiblet not as steep and I am no way as strong.

I intend to build a borad on one side of the roof, and leave the other side clear.

Any helpers?

Cheers

Mike

climbalive

• regular
#85 Re: How to build a woodie
December 23, 2006, 11:54:03 pm
orite marra if yuo go ahead with the plans you know you've always got sumdy to help with the build but you obviosly know i cant offer any structural advise c you soon, dyl

Paul B

• forum hero
#86 Re: How to build a woodie
December 24, 2006, 12:55:38 pm
I'd be inclined to try and spread some of the load from the boarded side to the no boarded side, maybe by some inclined columns fixed to the side which you don't intend to climb on, at least this way some of the forces created by you bearing down can be transferred to the side without the dead load. To be honest your roof will probably have been designed with differential snow/wind loading in mind and therefore should be ok to take the load all on one side, although if your in any doubt then maybe an A-frame free standing structure might be a better alternative?

Monolith

• forum hero
#87 Re: How to build a woodie
February 26, 2007, 12:27:08 pm
Does anyone at all happen to have a copy of the moon board plans stored on their PC. Really need to get hold of it and as the moon site is down at the moment, I can't get it.

Monolith

• forum hero
#88 Re: How to build a woodie
March 03, 2007, 03:02:13 pm
Some shots of the basic framework of our design

Minute detail such as the ply frame,kicker detail and joist hangers isn't yet included, but gives you an idea of the scale of things.

Due to the non-existence of a ceiling in the premises, we've had to construct joists between the two walls and then bolt into them.

Will have some shots up next week of the final construction.

BenF

• forum hero
#89 Re: How to build a woodie
March 04, 2007, 11:52:01 am
Looks wicked Tom.  All we gotta do is build the fucker now.  For those that are interested, it's going to have two boards of similar design, facing each other in the room.  One steeper that the other. 

Monolith

• forum hero
#90 Re: How to build a woodie
March 08, 2007, 10:22:17 pm
Those dimensions I am told are now 16' x 16', not 12' x 16' as illustrated. Come on my selector.

BenF

• forum hero
#91 Re: How to build a woodie
March 09, 2007, 07:55:56 am
16' by 16' it is indeed.  And that's just the 45 side.  We are all gonna get soooo injured, soooo quick.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#92 Re: How to build a woodie
March 09, 2007, 11:43:14 pm
Already sorted the plans for my hammock hanging off the roof frame :thumbsup:

chappers

• forum hero
#93 Re: How to build a woodie
March 28, 2007, 09:44:08 pm
are you boys going to get this thing built then?
get to it. you should all be banned from leaving the building untill it is finished (no trips to woodwell allowed!)

Monolith

• forum hero
#94 Re: How to build a woodie
March 28, 2007, 09:50:09 pm
I tried imprisoning other members for a few weeks, but eventually they overpowered me and broke free. We got just enough of it done for my architecture folio piece-interview though so that was enough slave driving. Next tuesday will be a monster last push to finish the beast off, pics to follow...

BenF

• forum hero
#95 Re: How to build a woodie
March 29, 2007, 12:34:07 pm
Next tuesday will be a monster last push to finish the beast off, pics to follow...

Fuckin' hell, I may actually make it down there next Tuesday since school breaks up tomorrow and I don't go to Font until next Thursday.  So I should be there on Tuesday, unless of course it's dry outside.  And O'ert Road has dried out.  Or it's cold and dry enough for grit.  Or I haven't finished my assignment.  I have a litany of excuses why I have made little effort to build the thing.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#96 Re: How to build a woodie
March 29, 2007, 10:54:38 pm
You are going straight to the top of the blacklist Ben!  :wave:

BenF

• forum hero
#97 Re: How to build a woodie
March 30, 2007, 12:10:12 pm
Do I look bothered?

Eddies

• forum hero
#98 Re: How to build a woodie
March 30, 2007, 12:13:56 pm
A few shots of the wall i use:

http://photo.ringo.com/178/178496577RL113966914.jpg
The 45 deg section

http://photo.ringo.com/196/196828206RL639324790.jpg
Main wall - think its around 30 Deg

and the one on the left is around 5 deg

LL55

• player
  • Shelly Hocknell is weapon
#99 Re: How to build a woodie
March 30, 2007, 03:47:15 pm
Whats the overhanging wall attached to? A roof rafter?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal