UKBouldering.com

How to build a woodie (Read 438588 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1225 Re: How to build a woodie
December 28, 2020, 08:21:48 pm
I wanted a house with a garage. We did not get one, so that meant converting a small Victorian brick outhouse into a big enough shed for a board. It was originally constructed over the party wall in the garden, with a mirror image version on the neighbours’ side. This meant quite a few constraints on what we could do, eg max roof height was not alterable, so we dug below ground to sit the board low enough.

It has a 10’’ kickboard, 9’ of board, then a tiny soffit where the top edge rests on a cross beam of 2x4 and some finishing holds 6’’ above. 7’ wide. This works really well. I would like more area, but at approx 10’ x 7x’ at 40*, I don’t really need it.

The shed is 7’6’’ wide and about 12’ long. The door opens facing the board - there is about 6’ of space between it and the opposite wall to sit/ swing into. I put a little vertical board on the side wall for warming up.  Obviously this means I cannot get behind the board from inside, so there is an external hatch in the side of the shed I can open and squeeze through behind the board to get garden tools etc

Hope that all makes sense.

webbo

• forum hero
#1226 Re: How to build a woodie
December 28, 2020, 09:02:43 pm
 What is the ceiling height of the shed.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#1227 Re: How to build a woodie
December 28, 2020, 10:35:37 pm
8’6. But there is a stepped floor so the board starts 16’’ lower. The effective height of the board is 9’

Bradders

• forum hero
#1228 Re: How to build a woodie
December 29, 2020, 08:08:26 am
I have the boards that were a 16 foot wide and 12 high or length of board. It’s been a 40 degree board twice of a 45 degree board once. I was thinking that sheds tend to come in standard sizes, so hence my question.

I was in a similar boat, had a board and wanted to get a shed to go around it. The problem I found was that the standard build sheds didn't really fit the dimensions (not tall enough) and the ones of the floor size I needed were more expensive than hiring a joiner to just come and do a full custom build. So I went with the latter on the basis it would be better to have something purpose built for the job.

I've a concrete slab for foundations, 4.5m x 3.5m.

The shed footprint is 4.3m x 3.3m.

And then inside I have 2 boards facing each other, 1 at 45 which is 3m wide, 2.4m high, 2.4m deep with 3.3m of climbing surface. No kicker or finishing vert section so you're on the steep the whole time.

Then opposite I have a 25 degree overhang. Same width. 2.3m climbing surface plus a 20cm vert bit at the top for fingerboards.

There's less than 50cm between the top of the two boards which you would think would make you feel like you were going to hit your head but in practice it feels fine.

Don't know if that helps?!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1229 Re: How to build a woodie
December 29, 2020, 08:47:01 am
Did you have to get planning for your mega shed Bradders?

webbo

• forum hero
#1230 Re: How to build a woodie
December 29, 2020, 09:09:32 am
Also if you don’t mind, how much did it cost. Any pictures of the shed as well thanks.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1231 Re: How to build a woodie
December 29, 2020, 09:59:14 am

Think it’s down to the footprint area relative to your house footprint? Also conservation are etc... but as it’s a temporary structure that no one is going to live in I don’t think it’s normally an issue?

Anyway - haven’t our libertarian rulers decided to rip up most of the manuscript panning regs? :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1232 Re: How to build a woodie
December 29, 2020, 10:00:57 am
Sorry - random musings - I guess getting someone to build the shed/structure for the board means you can integrate some of the wall supporting structure into the structure of the shed - and vice versa? Probably an advantage...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1233 Re: How to build a woodie
December 29, 2020, 10:06:55 am
Sorry - random musings - I guess getting someone to build the shed/structure for the board means you can integrate some of the wall supporting structure into the structure of the shed - and vice versa? Probably an advantage...

Kind of wat I was thinking with my flippant and not very helpful post. If you have boards, there's your structure, build a wall round it and put a roof on.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1234 Re: How to build a woodie
December 29, 2020, 11:18:48 am

Think it’s down to the footprint area relative to your house footprint? Also conservation are etc... but as it’s a temporary structure that no one is going to live in I don’t think it’s normally an issue?

Anyway - haven’t our libertarian rulers decided to rip up most of the manuscript panning regs? :)

No, rules are here, it's mainly height that's the issue especially for a climbing wall, with 2.5m max if you're close to a boundary.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

May have pushed the limit slightly on height at the very apex of the roof but only by a few centimetres.

Yes correct. It's not going to fall over any time soon!!

Also if you don’t mind, how much did it cost. Any pictures of the shed as well thanks.

About £4,500 including all the labour and materials for the shed itself. Thinking about it the standard build sheds were a bit less than that, like £3-3,500 but you'd have had to have extra work done to improve the weight bearing of the structure, which would have added to it. And they weren't tall enough.

Don't have any good pics actually but will get some today.

webbo

• forum hero
#1235 Re: How to build a woodie
December 29, 2020, 11:23:39 am

Kind of wat I was thinking with my flippant and not very helpful post. If you have boards, there's your structure, build a wall round it and put a roof on.
However the structure will be at the front of the house, so it has to look ok especially for my other half. Although we are the last house in the row and back on to fields the neighbours will be able to see it from their front window.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1236 Re: How to build a woodie
December 29, 2020, 11:54:35 am
Working with the shape of the woodie could result in something much more interesting than a rectangular box.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1237 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 01:58:14 pm
Planning a garage woody (YYFY), how little space can I get away with between the top of the board and the wall (the wall that is behind you as you climb?). Happy to shove a pad against the wall or whatever, but how close is too close?

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#1238 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 02:07:20 pm
Personally I would make the climbing space as big as possible and if you dab the walk at the top of problems so be it. Don't sacrifice wall area as hitting a vertical wall won't be much of an issue especially if you pad it. Also it is far easier to make the wall smaller than trying to make it larger...

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1239 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 02:19:37 pm
Currently for a 45 board, which is optimal for length of climbing, i'd have about 0.5m to swing.  There is a bit of a window there too, but it is double glazed.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#1240 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 02:22:14 pm
I would say 0.5m would be enough even cutting loose. I currently have a tool box and various other hard things roughly the same distance from the end of my 50° board and very rarely hit them.

JamieG

• forum hero
#1241 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 02:27:06 pm
I found the problem more to be when you pop off a hold unexpectedly. But a pad propped up behind you should avoid an holes in wall or your head.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1242 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 02:32:32 pm
Great, thanks. Good point about making it smaller being easier than making it taller.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1243 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 02:50:00 pm
There is a bit of a window there

This made me smile as I’ve been editing footage of you climbing this week usin the phrase “there’s a bit of a bird here”.  ;D

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1244 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 03:00:51 pm
Ha, I remember that bird...  :2thumbsup: Got to get strong for some more adventures over there!

csl

• junky
#1245 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 03:59:34 pm
Just a shout out to everyone in this thread for all the info on board building/hold recommendations/setting etc.

I've got wooden holds from https://www.strongholds.co.uk/ (made by rginns on here) on there and can highly recommend them, beautifully made and super tendon friendly shapes to train on. All the resin holds are from Holdz which seem nice too, but I've only had a quick session so far.

It was destined to be an indoor board when I ordered all the materials, but further negotiations meant it ended up in the garden, will have to see how the cheap ply holds up! It's going to have to come down in the summer anyway to make way for an extension, but may see if I can move it into an outdoor office I'm thinking of putting at the bottom of the garden.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#1246 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 04:06:57 pm

It was destined to be an indoor board when I ordered all the materials, but further negotiations meant it ended up in the garden,

:lol: looks good, those oak holds are nice!

tomtom

• forum hero
#1247 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 04:34:09 pm
Like the grain on the ply csl. And Ricks holds.

What’s the height above the deck?

remus

• forum hero
#1248 Re: How to build a woodie
January 09, 2021, 05:27:39 pm
It was destined to be an indoor board when I ordered all the materials, but further negotiations meant it ended up in the garden, will have to see how the cheap ply holds up! It's going to have to come down in the summer anyway to make way for an extension, but may see if I can move it into an outdoor office I'm thinking of putting at the bottom of the garden.

I used cheapo ply to build my board that went up in the garden april. It's going a bit bouldy round the edges but otherwise ok, I reckon yours will be fine until summer.

csl

• junky
#1249 Re: How to build a woodie
January 10, 2021, 08:04:28 am
Like the grain on the ply csl. And Ricks holds.

What’s the height above the deck?

It's 2.5m to the top holds vertically - was aiming for a 40º overhang but it's ended up more like 42º

It was destined to be an indoor board when I ordered all the materials, but further negotiations meant it ended up in the garden,

:lol: looks good, those oak holds are nice!

Thanks! It's such a novelty having a board in the garden, I got all the weeding and leaf clearing I'd been ignoring done during my rest periods yesterday  :lol:

I used cheapo ply to build my board that went up in the garden april. It's going a bit bouldy round the edges but otherwise ok, I reckon yours will be fine until summer.

Thanks Remus, yeah and it's relatively sheltered in the orientation I chose so that's good to hear!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal