UKBouldering.com

How to build a woodie (Read 438846 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1025 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 12:41:07 pm
I’ve been using liquid chalk in mine Jamie - seems to keep the mess down (I have a chalk ball for the odd tip chalk too).

JamieG

• forum hero
#1026 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 12:44:59 pm
Yeah I got some for my fingerboard (after a suggestion on here) and it was a lot less messy. But maybe not quite as good as regular chalk. I guess it just makes the problems harder. Hows your woodie working out Tomtom? Keeping the psyche up?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1027 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 12:48:18 pm
Hi Chris, Unfortunately, yes. The woodie is in our basement room, which is tanked to avoid damp. So i couldn't fix anything to the walls without compromising the tanking material and it needed to be a free standing structure. I would also have made it wider (and steeper - its about 25 deg)

OK, Didn't see it was freestanding. Mine is about 26 deg, limitation was attaching to rafters, so was either that or 37 deg or so, which would have meant me potentially landing on the freezer, and it being too steep for the kids to have the occasional go.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1028 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 12:49:29 pm
Hi Chris, Unfortunately, yes. The woodie is in our basement room, which is tanked to avoid damp. So i couldn't fix anything to the walls without compromising the tanking material and it needed to be a free standing structure. I would also have made it wider (and steeper - its about 25 deg) but we also use the room as a TV/gaming room, so this was the space I had available to squeeze it into. Its a bit wider than the photo makes it look and the chimney breast is less in the way as well but it will have to be a relatively narrow setting. Going to stick to liquid chalk too since it seems much less dusty. Wife is most excited about the potential to store my climbing 'crap' behind the wall.  ::)

Looks like a pretty good use of space considering the constraints.

We're now storing the skis and spare wood behind the board, hadn't really thought about it before, but it's actually "created" more space than it uses in a strange kind of way.

JamieG

• forum hero
#1029 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 12:56:36 pm
Hi Fultonius, Yeah, I was pretty pleased with how it turned out given the constraints. Will try setting some problems on it tonight. Going to have to take back all the times i've muttered about route setters at the wall now. Was really jealous of your garage woodie. The extra height would be so good. Going to try make a few extra holds too. Your ones are looking cool.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1030 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 01:25:37 pm
But maybe not quite as good as regular chalk. I guess it just makes the problems harder.

Just to channel our lord and saviour, Dave McLeod, remember that not chalking up properly is one ingredient in the how-to-get-injured recipe. Fingers sliding and firing off the holds is not good.

I like the board and I like the specificity of the Dab Simulator on the left. Good for practicing controlling those cuts on dabby problems. Good thinking  :thumbsup:

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#1031 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 01:32:05 pm
I'm in the advanced planning stage for the board rebuild in the garage...
One big improvement is that I'll be adding a vertical 6 inches or so for finishing holds/rail

Aside from that, what is the consensus on kickboards?
I had one on the last board and the temptation was to start problems from the kickboard, and even if the hands were rubbish it made it much easier... i probably have the space not to have one...but could be useful for making sure the foam pads don't get in the way.
Just wondered what peoples thoughts were.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1032 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 01:37:41 pm
I read through this entire thread back at start of lock down in prep for my board and consensus I took was:

- if your board is 25 degrees overhang or less, don't bother with a kicker
- if it is, keep it small (I.e. 6" or so) and make the feet really bad, thus avoiding the temptation to get really stretched out on a good vertical foothold, making the first hard move stepping off it.

That's what I went with on mine (45 degrees) and it works well.

JamieG

• forum hero
#1033 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 01:39:51 pm
But maybe not quite as good as regular chalk. I guess it just makes the problems harder.

Just to channel our lord and saviour, Dave McLeod, remember that not chalking up properly is one ingredient in the how-to-get-injured recipe. Fingers sliding and firing off the holds is not good.

I like the board and I like the specificity of the Dab Simulator on the left. Good for practicing controlling those cuts on dabby problems. Good thinking  :thumbsup:

Very true, the old dry fire off a hold is horrible. Especially the knuckle grating your get on grit. I'm pretty lucky that I don't suffer from too bad sweaty tips so don't need to chalk up too much anyway.

I like the idea of the dab simulator. Although its more likely to be tree root arse interaction simulator if i'm going to be honest.

kac

• addict
#1034 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 01:41:59 pm
There is a good video on youtube from the guy at the power climbing company on this. It made my mind up that a kicker is a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have the board built yet to confirm! Sorry don't know how to link but a search should bring it up.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1035 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 01:43:25 pm
I read through this entire thread back at start of lock down in prep for my board and consensus I took was:

- if it is, keep it small (I.e. 6" or so) and make the feet really bad, thus avoiding the temptation to get really stretched out on a good vertical foothold, making the first hard move stepping off it.

This.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#1036 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 02:13:45 pm

Thanks Bradders, and Tom.
Trawling through 42 pages feels insrmountable right now, I've been through it about 5 years ago with the last wall!
Makes sense. It's looking like I can get just over 40 degrees with the space I have, so I may push it to 8 inches if I have one to stop the heel dragging.

Thanks Kac, I found the vid: 
It has some decent info in there, I hadn't even considered the practical implications of getting a driver in to put holds on...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1037 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 02:43:11 pm
I struggled to get screw ons low down, ended up using a small electric screwdriver. Bolt ins i just used an Allan key extended with a ring spanner.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#1038 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 03:00:49 pm
I struggled to get screw ons low down, ended up using a small electric screwdriver. Bolt ins i just used an Allan key extended with a ring spanner.
Did you have a kickboard Chris?
Don't think I'll be bothering with T-nuts, I did this the last time and fucked up by putting them just where 2 of my beams were so ended up either having to cut the bolts short or not use them.
This time it'll be screwies only... I think this'll give more options anyway.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1039 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 03:13:56 pm
No, my board is 26 degrees, borderline, but simplicity of construction made me decide to not bother. I have the choice of retrofitting one, but doubt I'll bother. I was given my boards with t nuts already, and fortunately had a bit of leeway to move about to avoid beams.

Duma

• forum hero
#1040 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 04:12:50 pm
Mines 30° and I def wouldn't want a kicker, climbs better and putting one in would have been way more faff, plus at my angle the lowest I can set footholds is about the lowest I can use them without heel dabbing so perfect.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1041 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 04:31:39 pm
Mines 30° and I def wouldn't want a kicker, climbs better and putting one in would have been way more faff, plus at my angle the lowest I can set footholds is about the lowest I can use them without heel dabbing so perfect.

+1   mine is 30* and, as per the advice on here, didn't for a kickboard. The main thing I would like is a thin mat first the first 20cm so if your feet slip you don't smash your heels.

I need to make some more foot holds, so far they're maybe all a bit too positive / incut.  I've been making them out of offcuts from out kitchen floor, which is "engineered hardwood" i.e. super-high quality plywood with loads of glue and a 3mm top hardwood surface - they seem pretty indestructible.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1042 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 05:32:04 pm
I've got some layers of old underfelt to mat out first half foot or so. Layers slides about a bit, but could be gaffer taped together to lessen this.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#1043 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 05:43:16 pm

+1   mine is 30* and, as per the advice on here, didn't for a kickboard. The main thing I would like is a thin mat first the first 20cm so if your feet slip you don't smash your heels.

I need to make some more foot holds, so far they're maybe all a bit too positive / incut.  I've been making them out of offcuts from out kitchen floor, which is "engineered hardwood" i.e. super-high quality plywood with loads of glue and a 3mm top hardwood surface - they seem pretty indestructible.

I think I'll opt for a small one as the angle will be between 40 and 45 degrees, but I'll keep it small This should be enough to stop the heel scrape.
Good idea on the flooring, sounds tough enough, be careful you don't overtighten and split it though  ;)
Would be a shame to put the work to waste 8)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1044 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 06:17:03 pm
Don't use a kick board Rick. Do you know anyone to make you some holds?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1045 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 06:48:38 pm
Don't use a kick board Rick. Do you know anyone to make you some holds?

:D

JJP

• addict
#1046 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 06:55:58 pm
Good work on the walls :2thumbsup:. Those holds look really good fultonius - my efforts at making holds have been pretty poor.

My wall is 45 degrees and I quite like having kicker as can use certain hold types (eg tiny crimps, 2 finger pocket) on reduced angle when using kicker which I can’t use once feet up on 45 degree bit. 

jamesturnbull97

• addict
#1047 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 07:07:26 pm
I've experimented with having a kickboard and not on my 45 and have settled on without. The main reason being on a board which is 4 or 5 moves long I'd often find I'd do the first couple of moves keeping feet on the kickboard which definitely makes them easier and therfore having to do less moves where it's a struggle to keep your feet on and surely thats the effect you want or I do personally for my board climbing. Having no kickboard make the start of the board considerably harder (having done the same problems with and without) so it makes feel like I'm getting more climbing out of the board.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1048 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 08:59:18 pm
I've experimented with having a kickboard and not on my 45 and have settled on without. The main reason being on a board which is 4 or 5 moves long I'd often find I'd do the first couple of moves keeping feet on the kickboard which definitely makes them easier and therfore having to do less moves where it's a struggle to keep your feet on and surely thats the effect you want or I do personally for my board climbing. Having no kickboard make the start of the board considerably harder (having done the same problems with and without) so it makes feel like I'm getting more climbing out of the board.

I think that's where if you do have a kickboard you need to keep the feet really shit. Mine are terrible so I can only do one move up at most before I have to step onto the angle.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1049 Re: How to build a woodie
May 11, 2020, 09:54:47 pm
There was even someone on this thread somewhere with a house rule that feet come off the kicker after the first move.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal