UKBouldering.com

How to build a woodie (Read 438593 times)

36chambers

• forum hero
#875 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 04:48:02 pm
At the least its a good thing to warm up on before heading out.

That's one of the main reasons I'd like one

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#876 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 05:19:17 pm
At the least its a good thing to warm up on before heading out.

That's one of the main reasons I'd like one
Put a super steep one in your basement mate  ;D

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#877 Re: How to build a woodie
April 18, 2020, 05:34:20 pm
Hi everyone, I've got a question that's related to building a board but a bit of a tangent... anyone got experience with using a dehumidifier to make a cellar more habitable? Never used one before so a few basic questions. My understanding is that a dessicant one would be more suitable (especially as I'd want it to still work during winter) - is this right or have I just fallen for advertising spiel? How much do you need to spend to get one that'll actually work (cellar is damp and a bit grotty but not actually under water or anything). Anything else I should look for?
Cheers yo :)

ali k

• junky
#878 Re: How to build a woodie
April 18, 2020, 05:54:25 pm
anyone got experience with using a dehumidifier to make a cellar more habitable? (cellar is damp and a bit grotty but not actually under water or anything).

I would have thought unless the cellar is reasonably airtight you will just be paying money to try and dehumidify the atmosphere. I’d argue heating is likely to dry out the space more effectively, but it’ll have to be on for a reasonable amount of time each day to actually dry out the walls and any wood down there.

gme

• forum hero
#879 Re: How to build a woodie
April 18, 2020, 06:53:49 pm
You won’t get it dry without doing a pro job that’s expensive.
A board will be fine though just isolate any bits touching the walls or floor. I have had loads of boards in minging damp cellars that we’re fine to climb on. Mats get bad quickly if you leave them on the floor but boards fine.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#880 Re: How to build a woodie
April 18, 2020, 06:55:20 pm
Hi everyone, I've got a question that's related to building a board but a bit of a tangent... anyone got experience with using a dehumidifier to make a cellar more habitable? Never used one before so a few basic questions. My understanding is that a dessicant one would be more suitable (especially as I'd want it to still work during winter) - is this right or have I just fallen for advertising spiel? How much do you need to spend to get one that'll actually work (cellar is damp and a bit grotty but not actually under water or anything). Anything else I should look for?
Cheers yo :)

it might be easy to plumb in an extra radiator in the cellar - I did this in a previous house (radiator that someone had left out for the kindly old travelling scrap man) and it turned a damp room into a decent space.

I have also used a cheap dehumidifier in a damp bedroom to good effect  - main thing is remembering to empty the tank, but worked well - sealing the floor/walls with something waterproof (plastic) is another/additional option

edit - just remembered doing a great, but cheap job of turning my now wife's cellar into a decent dry space by lining it with cheap blue damp proof membrane fixed on with wooden batons on the walls and a few inches of cheap polystyrene on the floor (chipboard on top)

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#881 Re: How to build a woodie
April 18, 2020, 08:47:09 pm
Thanks Ali, Gav, & Lagers.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that we live in a rented house, so installing a radiator is beyond what we could get away with or be worth the investment to us. I think I'll go with carefully lining all the floor and see how it goes, then reconsider the dehumidifier if the holds, timber, or our lungs seem to be suffering.

tomtom

• forum hero
#882 Re: How to build a woodie
April 18, 2020, 09:12:00 pm
Anything you can do to improve airflow will help. If there are airbricks that can be cleaned out - a window that can be opened? Moving air is quite important to stop things going musty/mouldy. A (fan not chemical) dehumidifier will also move the air around. It can end up sucking more damp through the walls (effectively) or maybe not. It will also heat the cellar a little too (in an enclosed space it will warm up the air a tad).

Our cellar (Manchester) that’s lined - is dryer in winter when the radiators on a chunk of the time than in summer when it’s not... I put a bathroom extractor fan on a vent thingy and that has helped - mainly just draws air under the cellar door and through - but keeps it moving. It is very cellar/site specific though.

wasbeen

• menacing presence
#883 Re: How to build a woodie
April 18, 2020, 10:14:02 pm
A desicent dehumidifier will generally be more efficient than a compressor one below around 18 degrees.  As a heat source dehumidifiers have the unusual quirk of being more than 100% efficient as they release the latent heat from moisture in the air: For every litre of water a dehumidifier collects, it releases around 0.6kWh of heat in addition to the waste heat from its power consumption.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#884 Re: How to build a woodie
April 18, 2020, 10:29:25 pm
My old board was in a pretty damp cellar, it even flooded a couple of inches a few times. I had a bathroom type fan blowing air from under the stairs/lounge into it, that I had on a timer, to come on when out at work. The dehumidifier was the saving grace though. After research went for a meaco, a bit pricier, but it would regularly suck 15 litres in a day, in a different league to your bog standard dehumidifier. Running at 400 watts it was super cheap. After this I had a carpet on the floor, pads down and never suffered from damp. Leave it off for a week and it became virtually inhospitable... I'm sure Peewee can concur.. I think it made him ill  :sick:
The moisture content of air has a huge impact on the energy required to heat it. So it makes total sense to dehumidify before trying to heat.

wasbeen

• menacing presence
#885 Re: How to build a woodie
April 18, 2020, 10:41:18 pm
Fully agree with the above. Although, I would add that a dehumidifier is an excellent heat source in itself. In a damp place, a typical 700w desicent dehumidifier will produce around 1kw in heat, in addition to the useful side benefit of removing moisture! They are essentially air source heat pumps.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:46:27 pm by wasbeen »

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#886 Re: How to build a woodie
April 19, 2020, 12:28:02 pm
TomTom, wasbeen, & Probes - thanks for this.

In terms of airflow, the old coal chute is open in one corner so it wouldn't be difficult to get more airflow going by opening the cellar door, even without a fan I think the wind would create a good through-draft doing that. Presumably though, there would be no point in having a dehumidifier running whilst there's a good breeze coming through, as I might as well just have the dehumidifier running outside.

tomtom

• forum hero
#887 Re: How to build a woodie
April 19, 2020, 12:42:56 pm
Exactly. Though it might be worth getting an old desk fan going (even on low) to keep the air circulating.

I spend (normally) 2-3 days a week in Hull a week and have a house there. I leave a dehumidifier going on low there when I’m away and it keeps the air moving and any low level mould forming. (I didn’t get any trickle vents with the double glazing so it’s fairly airtight!)

homeboard

#888 Re: How to build a woodie
April 19, 2020, 09:01:17 pm
Hi all, 

I've been climbing for a while on and off but my kids are now taking an interest. Our nearest centre is like 30 min away and I'm looking to build them an outdoor woody. It's just going to be straight up the side of the house for now.
Here is the front planned look https://imgur.com/b9U5W4o and the back https://imgur.com/G0sHiQD. Sizes aren't quite right as it'll be 2440 tall and the frame will be spaced differently possibly, just coming to that.
It's really just going to be the kids using it as it'll only 2.4x2m total, for now.... am I best using bolt holds(then needing to move the frame to accommodate 20cm spacings) or just buying screw-on ones? Next is what sheets are best to use, I'm looking at class 2 ply, 18mm and then painting with zinnser exterior paint. Is there a better material to use? I know marine ply will hold up better but I think this will still delaminate over time?
Still looking into crash mats but will be buying something good since it's my own kids on the wall.

Thanks for any advice.
P.S. I've read through the last 36 pages on here so trying to take the best from each.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#889 Re: How to build a woodie
April 19, 2020, 11:05:39 pm
It’s nice to have the option of screw ons and bolt ons- couldn’t you get some t nuts and put a grid of holes on? On the subject of mats, whilst I haven’t used this, Simond stuff is generally decent and this appears good value:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/crashpad-bigblocker-14mx11m-id_8495259.html

Paul B

• forum hero
#890 Re: How to build a woodie
April 20, 2020, 09:44:53 am
Your joists normal to the floor appear to be in two pieces. This wouldn't be my choice.

tomtom

• forum hero
#891 Re: How to build a woodie
April 20, 2020, 09:58:29 am
Re holds. I got some of these that are decent (quite small bit that’s fine for kids) and came with Tnuts and bolts.

Garden Games 20 Packs of Premium... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AGMWL4O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#892 Re: How to build a woodie
April 20, 2020, 12:31:22 pm
... I'm sure Peewee can concur.. I think it made him ill  :sick:

I can, chest wasn't right for weeks!

Lopez

• stalker
#893 Re: How to build a woodie
April 20, 2020, 02:10:25 pm
This is only temporary, until I've cleared the lock down back log. One product I do have is a box load of is the foot dinks, about the only thing.  If you want some, email me through the address on the website or pm and I'll be able to sort. Cheers.

Ha, it's good to know. I'm now sorted with these half balls but i'll keep it in mind for when i try and add some variety to the board. Thanks

Lagerstarfish, that's a clever idea for making jugs out of the handrail. I like it.  :thumbsup: Cheers

Lopez

• stalker
#894 Re: How to build a woodie
April 20, 2020, 02:16:32 pm
I received those eBay half balls and they work great. Feel solid and no signs of them wanting to split when screwing them or in use.

The 1" ones are about perfect for my board. (Kicker + 20 degrees), The 1 1/2" feel a bit too big but would probably work great in 45ish degrees boards i reckon.

Pic to illustrate the 1" hold actual 'size'

remus

• forum hero
#895 Re: How to build a woodie
April 20, 2020, 03:07:56 pm
I received those eBay half balls and they work great. Feel solid and no signs of them wanting to split when screwing them or in use.

Second this. I just put a few on my board and had my first session on them. Managed to split one while putting it on but that was my dodgy pilot hole drilling.

Surprisingly usable even at 35 degrees. Hopefully they don't polish up too much.

Bradders

• forum hero
#896 Re: How to build a woodie
April 20, 2020, 03:33:02 pm

Second this. I just put a few on my board and had my first session on them. Managed to split one while putting it on but that was my dodgy pilot hole drilling.

Surprisingly usable even at 35 degrees. Hopefully they don't polish up too much.

Which size did you get Remus?

tomtom

• forum hero
#897 Re: How to build a woodie
April 20, 2020, 03:45:47 pm
I’ve not dared put them on my 50 yet... Jenga blocks are proving enough of a challenge...

remus

• forum hero
#898 Re: How to build a woodie
April 20, 2020, 04:32:42 pm

Which size did you get Remus?

I got the 1". Just measured and they're 25mm diameter and 12mm depth i.e. they stick out from the board 12mm. I should perhaps clarify that 'surprisingly usable' meant I was surprised I could use them, as they looked impossible out of the pack. Definitely not jugs.

homeboard

#899 Re: How to build a woodie
April 20, 2020, 08:16:59 pm
Your joists normal to the floor appear to be in two pieces. This wouldn't be my choice.
My reasoning for this was just so that I could get screwed into the end of each piece, would I be best having these running the full length with the left to right split?
is it also worth noting that this will sit approx 1ft off the floor as there's decorative brick along the bottom of the house then crap pebbledash for the rest, when/if we ever move out it'll hardly be noticeable I drilled the pebbledash.

It’s nice to have the option of screw ons and bolt ons- couldn’t you get some t nuts and put a grid of holes on? On the subject of mats, whilst I haven’t used this, Simond stuff is generally decent and this appears good value:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/crashpad-bigblocker-14mx11m-id_8495259.html
Yeah I'm more than happy to do 200mm centres and tee nut the whole shebang but wondered if it was a waste of time, looks like ill just go ahead and them as its adds a bit of versatility.
that crash mat looks great, I've been looking around at others and coming in much higher price. was looking at general gymnastic mats that were about this but wasn't sure if they'd be suitable for this, even though its only 2.4m high.

Thanks Both!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal