UKBouldering.com

How to build a woodie (Read 438591 times)

Bradders

• forum hero
#850 Re: How to build a woodie
April 16, 2020, 09:41:12 pm
A question for those with outdoor boards, asked only out of curiosity. What are you doing to weatherproof?

He boxed in the back and felted it, looks a more substantial build than the yonder crew.

I didn't build mine (the chap did an exceptional job), but this is what I've had done. It's also raised off the deck on, and bolted to, paving slabs, with the timber treated and points of contact with the slabs limited.

I then have a tarp which is secured over the top and right the way down over the climbing surface. This does the job nicely but obviously hasn't been properly tested yet. Long term plan is to add an additional roof section similar to Duma's mate and box in the sides with hinged sections that can be folded out of the way.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#851 Re: How to build a woodie
April 16, 2020, 09:44:28 pm
I don't get why anyone would plan a temporary board. If it's any good you're going to want to keep it and if you've made a shit temporary construct you're just going to have to go through the faff of taking it down. Build it once, build it right I say.

Bradders

• forum hero
#852 Re: How to build a woodie
April 16, 2020, 09:58:20 pm
Yeah agreed, hence not doing it myself!

remus

• forum hero
#853 Re: How to build a woodie
April 16, 2020, 10:04:35 pm
I don't get why anyone would plan a temporary board. If it's any good you're going to want to keep it and if you've made a shit temporary construct you're just going to have to go through the faff of taking it down. Build it once, build it right I say.

For me it's a temporary board or no climbing through the lockdown. Even if I only get a couple of months use out of it I'd say it's well worth the money and ~5hrs it took to put it together. Im going to make most of the holds so minimal cost.

It'd be cool if I could keep it but it's in a shared garden area that's really not that good a spot. It's permanently in the shade, so ok in summer but even if it was weatherproof it'd be super chilly in winter. I've also got free access to a much better board at work so having a board in the back garden as well feels a bit excessive.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#854 Re: How to build a woodie
April 16, 2020, 10:05:09 pm
A question for those with outdoor boards, asked only out of curiosity. What are you doing to weatherproof? I would have thought that CLS and ply was not happy if it got wet over and over again. And what are you going to do to make sure you can climb on it in miserable howling wind and rain? Circumstances are fairly unique now where the weather is glorious and people are training, but normally boards only get used when the crags are pisswrapped. If you have an outdoor board already, do you still use it through the winter/wetter periods?
Painted the ply (all over - front, rear and edges), used treated timber. Timber supports aren't on/in the soil but on concreted in post supports so won't rot from soil contact. Back is covered in bitumous roofing sheets. It's a 45 degree board so it's ok in rain but not if it's howling. I didn't use it much this winter as I had a massive loss of psyche for climbing in October, but did use it last winter. If it's too miserable I'll fingerboard indoors. I've considered a tarp or something to weatherproof it a bit more but never got around to setting anything up - might do when this weather breaks though!

I don't live locally to any rock so getting out is day trips/weekend only. I can get out on the board on an evening - I can't get to a crag.

I do have some wooden holds but only buy ones that are made of a rot-resistant wood (I have some oak crusher holds and have some new sapele Hard Wood Holds that I haven't put up yet).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#855 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 10:28:30 am
Wickes have the choice of: Non-Structural Hardwood Ply, or Structural Softwood.

In the past I've always used birch-veneer marine ply from a timber merchant, so I bit baffled about options!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#856 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 10:51:09 am

I bought a Pergola to build mine off, which meant i could add clear plastic roofing sheets to the top and keep it pretty dry. Its also built with £100 a sheet marine ply. Ill also paint all the exposed 'treated' timber before winter, and also staple plastic sheeting to the back of the ply to stop any excess water that might sneak through.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#857 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 10:57:33 am
Yeah agreed, hence not doing it myself!

Anything I built would be substandard! Definitely on the Moose school of thought on this one: get the professionals in!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#858 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 11:11:17 am
I think you'd surprise yourself, Jim. I'm a complete clown when it comes to DIY. I can just about use a drill and a saw. With sufficient reading of UKB and an extra pair of hands to help, just about anybody could get something built if they have the confidence to try.

remus

• forum hero
#859 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 11:13:29 am
Wickes have the choice of: Non-Structural Hardwood Ply, or Structural Softwood.

I went for structural softwood as it was what I could get hold of. Seems ok so far. I did manage to rip a big jug off but that's because it was poorly attached (screws were too small), re-attached with bigger screws and all good now.

Bradders

• forum hero
#860 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 11:31:21 am
I think you'd surprise yourself, Jim. I'm a complete clown when it comes to DIY. I can just about use a drill and a saw. With sufficient reading of UKB and an extra pair of hands to help, just about anybody could get something built if they have the confidence to try.

It's tools as well as skills. I reckon if I'd have bought all the tools the chap who built mine used it would have cost a hell of a lot more! Not to mention all the trips to B&Q I'd have needed (definitely not necessary journeys).

Duma

• forum hero
#861 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 11:43:53 am
What a weird thing to say. The value of a board is vastly inflated while commercial walls are shut, and more so while (most of us) can't go to the crag. Plenty of people will have limited space which they'd be prepared to use for a few months/for a sub optimal board design, but with no intention or desire to keep it once walls reopen.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#862 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 11:48:13 am
Indeed. Do what you like.

I think some people on here would like to argue about the colour of snow at the moment.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#863 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 11:49:49 am

Hadn’t yours just been taking up a load of space and gathering dust for ages prior to the walls closing?

tomtom

• forum hero
#864 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 12:02:40 pm

It's tools as well as skills. I reckon if I'd have bought all the tools the chap who built mine used it would have cost a hell of a lot more! Not to mention all the trips to B&Q I'd have needed (definitely not necessary journeys).

I built mine using a cordless drill/driver and a jigsaw (not one of our toddlers... the power tool type).

I bought three types of screws.. 200 4mm x 40mm (for screwing on holds and screwing ply to the structural timbers, 50 5mm by 100mm for structural stuff (screwing the structural wood together) and 10 6mmx200mm heavy duty screws to mount mine into the roofs joists.. (its an attic board).

Mine was designed so there would be no ply sheet cutting - and minimal cutting of the structural timbers (CLS's).

I have never built anything like this before - and not done any woodwork since school. It went fine! I'd suspect (n=1) that the hardest part are the adaptations you have to make to squeeze it into the space its in. Whether its free standing or screwed to a bit of the house etc.. (or like R-Mans tilting and anchored to the ground with steel pins in concrete!)..

Go for it!

Yossarian

• forum hero
#865 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 12:07:57 pm

Its also built with £100 a sheet marine ply. Ill also paint all the exposed 'treated' timber before winter, and also staple plastic sheeting to the back of the ply to stop any excess water that might sneak through.

tomtom

• forum hero
#866 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 12:13:10 pm

Like others here mine is temporary.

Obvs its there to train on - thats why I built it. But some other reasons - and why it doesnt matter if its temporary.

First I liked the challenge of building it - and it gave me something to think about for a couple of weeks...

Second - and maybe most important - it takes away from my mind the need to go outdoors to climb. It (mentally) takes away that itch to scratch. Its new - I'm still playing with it - not bored yet - so I can put any ideas of getting on rock out of my mind.

Third - it cost me about £350 - maybe £400 all in. If I compare that to my weekly spend on fuel to crags, climbing wall entries, even budget of replacing pads - then thats pretty similar to 10-12 weeks climbing...

(and if I'm really really lucky - I might be able to keep it up for a bit longer!!!!!!!)

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#867 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 12:54:52 pm
My may or may not end up temporary.  I have a fair bit of space, but I also have TCA 5 minute's cycle away and do use that space quite a lot.

ON the other hand, I've (hopefully) made it in a way that I can use some of the space behind (as storage). So, we'll see how it goes, if I get a lot of use out of it it might stay. Wood all ordered now, so just waiting for the text from Wixkes.
  :great:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#868 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 12:59:26 pm
I've got storage behind for skis / snowboards / ski poles / snowshoes, garage actually looks less messy than before

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#869 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 01:22:18 pm

Its also built with £100 a sheet marine ply. Ill also paint all the exposed 'treated' timber before winter, and also staple plastic sheeting to the back of the ply to stop any excess water that might sneak through.

If a jobs worth doing  ;)

Bradders

• forum hero
#870 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 01:48:39 pm
Indeed. Do what you like.

I think some people on here would like to argue about the colour of snow at the moment.

I think you're wrong.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#871 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 01:51:35 pm
I've got storage behind for skis / snowboards / ski poles / snowshoes, garage actually looks less messy than before

Yes!  My current ski storage system isn't much use, this'll be loads better.

36chambers

• forum hero
#872 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 01:56:45 pm

Hadn’t yours just been taking up a load of space and gathering dust for ages prior to the walls closing?

:lol: I'm quite certain it was used about once a year.

gme

• forum hero
#873 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 02:18:19 pm
I am building mine to last, hate the idea of doing something temporarily.

I have been thinking about it for years but didnt think i was motivated enough to justify it. Only one small very average wall 10 mins away that i dont use that much as i am usually in sheffield most of the week and try to go out at the weekend or drive an hour to the valley.

Hoping that its not just about the lock down but more of a "built it and they will come" type of thing that means i will climb loads more. At the least its a good thing to warm up on before heading out.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#874 Re: How to build a woodie
April 17, 2020, 03:16:54 pm
Work on locking down during lockdown and it's with you forever.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal