UKBouldering.com

New Birmingham climbing wall (Read 3325 times)

Sam

• addict
New Birmingham climbing wall
November 04, 2004, 02:19:19 pm
There has been much talk recently of a new wall in Birmingham, which has tripled since the CockFace closure. However, there is a consortium headed up by two guys well established in the Brum climbing scene who are on the way to having a new wall. They've got the money and the location in the Custard Factory in Digbeth (home of venerable D&B club Medicine Bar & various cool/alternative fashionista shops).

Its going to be awesome (nowt to do with Scouse wall) and will rival anything in Sheffield. Hope that cheers up any of you midlands climbers who are sulking at the moment.

Cheers, Sam

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#1 New Birmingham climbing wall
November 04, 2004, 07:33:45 pm
Do you have any idea when it or any Birmingham based wall wil be open?

Sam

• addict
#2 New Birmingham climbing wall
November 05, 2004, 02:02:12 pm
Don't expect a wall to spring up soon. The time scale on this is as yet unsure but the building needs a roof elevation (lets say a month to do). Fitting will take say four months, another two before any decisions are finalised so more than 6 months less than a year I guess. Sorry.

The Mike Kerby wall has been talked about for at least a year and half and nothing has happened so that looks doubtful. The McGregors may open one near Lichfield but you'll be looking at a similar time scale.

Stuart Denbigh

#3 New Brummy wall
November 08, 2004, 08:19:17 pm
Just thought I'd put my two peneth worth in.

I know Phil Minal, Rob Mirfin and Mike Kerby and know that they all have had plans to open a wall for a while.

Mike Kerby has actually only been planning since February this year (not a year and half) and he has spent a lot of money already and worked damn hard to get things off the ground. I know that he favours putting a wall up in Sandwell more than Birmingham.

Phil Minal has been talking about starting a wall for as long as I can remember. If he's got together with Mirf then it may move forward now, but he has always had probs getting property in the Custard Factory.

There's room for two walls in Brum, but with Rock-On also trying to move in on the scene theres probably too many people trying to start up now.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#4 New Birmingham climbing wall
November 08, 2004, 10:17:36 pm
Hmmm. From the rumours I heard I thought there were only 2 projects in the pipeline: The Creation wall and a wall that Rock On was backing. Now I'm confused as to the exact number of walls proposed for the West Midlands. I was under the impression that Mirf was involved with the Rock On project but that was more of an assumption than anything. I feel a bit cheated that the Rockface has just shut up shop :( Thanks for the post though Stuart, can you keep us updated?

Sam

• addict
#5 New Birmingham climbing wall
November 09, 2004, 12:29:04 pm
Not saying Mike Kerby is not working hard or got anything but good intentions but I first heard about his plans before christmas last year. Obviously these things take ages and it would be great if he set a (sandwell based) wall up. Competition breeds quality so more than 1 wall would be a very good thing. Mirf & Phil's project has been in the pipeline for ages too, with Mirf only recently coming on board. I don't know if Dominic (Rock On owner) is involved as I haven't spoken to Mirf or Phil for a few days. I think there are 2 fesiable projects: Kerby's & Mirf/Minal's. I've heard about 3 others but I'm sure that there are always a lot of prospectors at times like this.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#6 New Birmingham climbing wall
November 13, 2004, 11:50:52 am
Some more news: http://www.birminghamclimbingwall.co.uk/ March 2005 sounds optimistic to me but it will be great if it happens that soon.

Stuart Denbigh

#7 Brum Wall
November 15, 2004, 09:32:12 pm
I say good luck to everyone involved. Birmingham is certainly capable of supporting two climbing walls, it's the second city with a huge population. London and Manchester all have multiple walls and all seem to tick along quite happily.

I've heard some very interesting and exciting news today, but have been sworn to silence for a few weeks. (I'll spill the beans when I can!!!)

Let's hope Phil & Mirf get the planning consent for The Custard Factory and don't suffer the same obstacles as Mike did.

Stuart Denbigh

#8 Creation Wall now a reality...
November 22, 2004, 10:53:36 pm
Well I said I had some good news but it looks like it leaked out a week before it was supposed too !!!

Creation wall in Brum have now teamed up with Europes biggest indoor skate park to open a new 10,000sqft wall. They start work in January 2005 and hope to be open for around April next year.

Because it is in a leisure facility already they can start when they want.

Bring it on..........

Creation

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal