UKBouldering.com

Re: ketogenic diet advice (Read 505 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 11, 2016, 09:14:37 pm
Also worth reading if you're interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Tommy

• junky
#1 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 11, 2016, 09:18:48 pm
This topic seems to be taking off, since Dave MacLeod revealed he was having good results from it. I thought Neely's latest podcast was a pretty good review - it probably helps that she is a proper non-quack qualified nutritionist. She corrects a few errors she perceives Neil Gresham to have made in his article at Rock and Ice.

Dave gets good results from it as he's got light from it. Jerry had success from eating lettuce, Ryan had success from eating laxatives and Caff had success from eating a scotch egg. I'm successful when I eat a low calorie tissue paper diet.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 11, 2016, 09:24:01 pm

I'm successful when I eat a low calorie tissue paper diet.

I've been trying this. No luck, put on 6kg.

My Nutritionist says I have to take the Fish'n'chips out first in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
#3 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 11, 2016, 09:37:37 pm
I remain sceptical. As a treatment for epilepsy, it's proved effective. As a weight loss mechanism, it sounds pretty restrictive and unsustainable in the long-term.

You ate dessert you say? No worries, just get back on the ketongenic train and start the weeks-long reboot process.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#4 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 11, 2016, 10:15:24 pm
When Rustam Gelmanov gets hungry, he sniffs an apple.

True story.

Sachi Amma's crag food consists mostly of small cakes. He gives them to people

True story.

roblaird

#5 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 12, 2016, 07:30:40 am
I've been on it for 2 weeks now. Not as a way to lose weight, but to support my wife who is. So far I've lost a kg or 2 but nothing major. My first week I was a bit weak, climbing and fingerboarding a bit below my usual standard.

However, yesterday's fingerboard session was back to normal, and I'm off climbing this weekend. Most people say it can take up to 6 weeks for you body to get into Ketosis.

Initially it was an experiment, but I may be sticking at it for longer and see how it goes.

If you're interested, take a look at the ketogains website. There's a Facebook group which has helped a lot, primarily people there do heavy lifts, but I've chatted to a few climbers, kayakers and runners that are having good results even after many years.

I'm probably going to give it 3 months and see how I feel after then.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#6 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 12, 2016, 08:52:26 am
Is this one of those things where you've got to go all out and stick to it religiously for it to work? Last year I lost weight by cutting out most sugar but by no means all, I am wondering if that was the result of ketosis or just the result of dietary improvement?

roblaird

#7 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 12, 2016, 02:58:38 pm
With the research I've done most people need to keep their total carbs under 30g a day to stay in ketosis (everyone is different, but definitely less than 50g). That's not many at all, no bread, pasta chocolate etc.

At a guess, your weight loss is probably down to dropping the sugar.

As far as I can tell, you need to be pretty strict with it all.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 12, 2016, 03:04:09 pm
Is that how you found out that shortbread has the lowest sugar content of the common British biscuit Teaboy?

petejh

• forum hero
#9 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 12, 2016, 03:16:42 pm
Last year I researched which wine had the lowest sugar content...

it's a red grown in a cool climate, around 12% alcohol. Bordeaux or similar. Actually, UK reds could be good for lowish sugar (all relative)..

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 12, 2016, 03:26:55 pm
This topic seems to be taking off, since Dave MacLeod revealed he was having good results from it. I thought Neely's latest podcast was a pretty good review - it probably helps that she is a proper non-quack qualified nutritionist. She corrects a few errors she perceives Neil Gresham to have made in his article at Rock and Ice.

Dave gets good results from it as he's got light from it. Jerry had success from eating lettuce, Ryan had success from eating laxatives and Caff had success from eating a scotch egg. I'm successful when I eat a low calorie tissue paper diet.

This sickens me.

On a separate note, I heard that the laxatives definitely affected the day at the crag. False-alarms was the phrase used, I think. Not recommended apparently.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#11 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 12, 2016, 03:37:54 pm
Is that how you found out that shortbread has the lowest sugar content of the common British biscuit Teaboy?

It is but it seems a diet of Tesco shortbread is still not enough to keep me in ketosis, it seems I need to supplement with some fish

T_B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 12, 2016, 03:54:45 pm
This seems to be a massively restrictive diet which will drive you crazy in the longer term. I already eat piles of oily fish/avocado/meat/eggs/green veg/salad/olive oil/nuts, as well as a few carbs and loads of dairy (full fat yoghurt on my muesli, milk-based protein shakes, hot choc). If I cut out the dairy/muesli/carbs I'd be eating even more bl**dy mackerel and eggs! I barely eat any bread nowadays and have much smaller carb portions and this has been a huge improvement for me in terms of energy/weight maintenance. Plus, with a history of heart disease in the family, I'm not sure I want to be putting cream in my coffee a la Macleod?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 12, 2016, 07:02:47 pm
It is quite restrictive, the hardest thing at first being the constant studying of labels to avoid the abundant sugar that the food industry feels the need to put into just about everything. It can make eating out tricky and you can only really drink spirits in any quantity.

Once you get into it though you eat can perfectly well. I found myself cooking far more than & eating a lot more fresh veg than I did previously.

It can be very effective - I lost nearly 16kg on keto over about 6 months.

The best thing I found about it was that once you're in ketosis, you just don't feel hungry so it feels quite effortless compared to other forms of dieting.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 12, 2016, 11:19:22 pm
The joe rogan podcast has already covered all of this... 

AndyR

• forum hero
#15 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 12, 2016, 11:28:48 pm

Yes, 'cos it's your obesity that's holding you back...

AndyR

• forum hero
#16 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
February 13, 2016, 02:34:02 am
Touché!
Yes, 'cos it's your obesity that's holding you back...

Where did I write that I was considering it?

Were I a gent in full-time employment, perhaps in too frequent contact with all-you-can-eat Vegas buffets, I would definitely give it serious thought ...

sheavi

• menacing presence

roblaird

#18 Re: Re: ketogenic diet advice
July 09, 2016, 08:11:45 am
I got a little nudge to come back and share how I'm getting on with the ketogenic diet....

So first of all, I'm still on it (nearly 6 months now) and I can't really see a downside, unless you really can't get round cutting out a lot of carbs.

I've dropped around 3-4kgs since I started, and over the last few months I've been on sport and trad trips (with a littl bit of bouldering) with no noticeable loss of strength or endurance. Indoors, comparing myself against my friends, I've improved at bouldering and routes. Granted, the diet probably isn't the main reason behind it, but it's not hurt me in any way.

It gets a little tricky while camping as fresh meat doesn't keep for long, even in a cool box, but tinned meat does the job.

Normal daily food involve meat, cheese, eggs, low carb veg (broccoli, cauliflower, etc), cream. Doesn't sound like much, but you'd be surprised how much variety you can come up with.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal