UKBouldering.com

Carrock Fell - New Problem (Read 3479 times)

Greg C

• forum hero
Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 01, 2004, 08:50:16 pm
Super new problem at Carrock Fell...
http://www.lakesbloc.co.uk/8.html

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#1 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 01, 2004, 08:52:34 pm
nice line gc, wots tha crack with a topo for that place?

Greg C

• forum hero
#2 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 01, 2004, 08:57:10 pm
In the pipe line FOAMy

Got any info you would like to divulge?

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#3 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 01, 2004, 09:00:07 pm
not really, except don't bother traipsing up the massive hill behind the three main boulders looking for new potential cos there's fuck all up there and it knackers u out! :roll:

Nigel

• forum hero
#4 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 01, 2004, 09:37:45 pm
That's bollocks, I walked up there and found an absolutely world class highball arete. Plastered in chalk aswell, so someone obviously agrees! Granted that was the only line. Was definately worth the walk though, looks ace.

Greg's new problem is amazing  :8)  Nearly as good as my new one from the summer.  :wink:  This crag rules.

dave

#5 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 01, 2004, 10:03:21 pm
Quote from: "Nigel"
Was definately worth the walk though

where have we heard that before?

:wink:  :up:

tc

• junky
#6 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 01, 2004, 10:40:29 pm
Granted that was the only line. .

Oh no it wasn't.  :wink:

Nigel

• forum hero
#7 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 01, 2004, 10:58:45 pm
Quote from: "dave"
where have we heard that before?

:wink:  :up:

Off Greg and Tom about some boulders I'd never been to I believe.   :ninja:

Don't forget to tell us about it for't topo then Tim. Bit of local knowledge would go along way at this crag!

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#8 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 01, 2004, 11:11:03 pm
Granted that was the only line. Was definately worth the walk though, looks ace

was it right at the top? if so i think i know what you're on about, no chalk on it at the time tho, i thought it looked a bit whack, fucked up slopy landing. on the plus side there were shitloads of blueberries knocking around when i went up so i just sat and gourged myself for 20 minutes. :lol:

Nigel

• forum hero
#9 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 01, 2004, 11:19:43 pm
It was quite a way up the hillside yes. The arete of a high boulder, sat on its own. Wierd as its plainly visible from the road, but because it sits in a dip you can't see it from the boulders or at any point on the walk up until you get there. Yeah the landing wasn't a manicured patio but that's life and why we carry those big sponge things.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#10 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 01, 2004, 11:23:24 pm
ahhhh, i'm thinking of summit else nige, was a basically a highball cracked wall with an arete. if u topped out of either of these problems u'd be standing on the very top of the hill... of course u cud just walk round... :wink:

tc

• junky
#11 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 02, 2004, 10:08:52 am

Don't forget to tell us about it for't topo then Tim. Bit of local knowledge would go along way at this crag!

Hi N.
The Knowledge for this hillside is held by several different people, all operating independently of each other, it seems. With some people keeping things quiet and others writing stuff up/ word of mouth over the years (the boulders have been climbed on since the 70s) it will be hard to disentangle who, what and when. I've done a bunch of stuff further up the hill and I know the Keswick lads have also been very active but until we get some kind of draft topo that pulls everything together and a few reference points it's all very confusing. Get in touch with Jim Arnold - he seems to have most of the info. Here's a historical snippet I came across: the V5 face off the undercut slot on the highest of the three 'main' boulders is known by the old crew as "Rouse's Wall", which means it was probably done sometime between 1972 and 1980-ish, probably in the company of Doug Scott or Bonington. If I manage to dig up anything else I'll let you know.

Nigel

• forum hero
#12 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 02, 2004, 02:13:55 pm
Good man Tim, cheers for that. Keep us up to speed on any new info your snooping uncovers! Good info on Rouse's Wall. It'd be nice to do some kind of little history as for the Bowderstone (which is always open to alteration - have a gander!).

Yes you are on the money about the 'many and varied' who have kept their Carrock cards close to their chests. We are doing just as you suggest and forming an initial 'consultation' topo which we will bandy about to anyone interested in the hope that grades, details, lines, can all be ironed out. We'll send you one when its done (hopefully soon - this week?). In fact we hope to be at the crag tomorrow if you can make it?

tc

• junky
#13 Carrock Fell - New Problem
November 02, 2004, 02:28:17 pm
Text me when you're about 20 minutes away and if I can fit it in between all these depressing scans, tests and doctor's appointments I've got arranged I will meet you there. Greg has my number. PM me yours.
tc

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal