UKBouldering.com

Squirrel Buttress Approach? (Read 1628 times)

Droyd

• addict
Squirrel Buttress Approach?
July 01, 2022, 12:54:34 pm
I know this has been covered in the past, but looking through the old threads there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus on the best way to get to the crag. There's mention of wading (which presumably means parking at the Tor and tracking back a ways) but the risk of anglers getting annoyed, and parking at Millers Dale and and heading back along the Monsal Trail, but it seems unclear whether the bit between the Trail and the crag is access land and there's mention of a 'mudslide' and lots of nettles, none of which sounds massively enjoyable. Also is the pin on UKC in the right place? It seems off based on approach descriptions and I'm guessing that at the moment it's hard to spot from the road to the Tor due to all the leaves.

So, all info gratefully received.

crzylgs

• stalker
#1 Re: Squirrel Buttress Approach?
July 01, 2022, 01:12:29 pm
none of which sounds massively enjoyable.

This sums up my experience of going to have a look - didn't actually climb as we'd either been rained off or it was the end of a long weekend. We took the approach of wading across (being on the lookout for any anglers and ready to meekly apologise and retreat if caught) which leaves you in a dilemma. You want shorts so you don't get soaked, but then even if you cross very directly towards the crag the ~15-20m of river bank was essentially a jungle of nettles. I chose to sacrifice an old pair of trainers (2 friends I was with were in flip flops) this landed me the roll of trail blazer and 'nettle stamper downer' even taking care inevitably I copped a decent number of stings. All in all it fairly miserable experience.

Sorry that I can't address your questions regarding any consensus or the pin (pretty sure you can just about see the crag from the other side of the river though) but my personal recommendation would be to climb elsewhere. When you consider the questionable access rights, tricky/miserable route to crag and although I'm lead to believe there are a couple of good lines there, there isn't much in terms of quantity so you're going there for 1-2 problems. Even though we've recently 'lost' access to Wright's, Griff's, bit of Anston... There is still a lot of other rock in the Peak to choose from.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 Re: Squirrel Buttress Approach?
July 01, 2022, 03:48:04 pm
As is often the case the answer is not totally simple.
The crag is listed as Landowner Unknown on the RAD, but it is most likely owned by the Peak Park or National Trust. In previous discussions between NT and the fishermen regards a buttress on the same side of the river but nearer the Tor, the fishermen had no objection to climbing perse, they were just concerned about disturbance to fishing. For this reason the RAD suggests not crossing when fishermen are anywhere in sight on or near the river. It also suggests avoiding the crag on the weekend, although in my experience the river is more active with fishermen midweek.
However you read this advice, you should be prepared exit the crag via the rear if a fisherman is in sight when you wish to leave. Which means knowing this route before you arrive at the crag (mobile reception is poor at the crag). The best way to do this is to walk in from the trail, so you know the way back. This only increases the walk-in by 5 mins and it’s not an arduous approach once you find the right line.
For the rear approach go over the footbridge just west of the pub and climb up onto the Monsal Trail. Follow the trail for about 200m. After a short section of cutting there is a path of sorts going left (badger trail possibly) onto the slope pretty much directly above the crag. To get down follow the slope downhill bearing west/upstream until you can easily drop down just right/west of the bouldering.
All things considered it would reduce potential conflict with the fishermen if this approach was treated as the default option.
I’d hope it goes without say, but I’ll say it anyway - Don’t turn up with a crowd, don’t bring a dog, don’t be loud, be polite if anyone challenges you, and leave if asked to do so (but please, FFS, get a name and phone number if this happens).
PS – I’ve corrected the map pin position on UKC.

remus

• forum hero
#3 Re: Squirrel Buttress Approach?
July 01, 2022, 04:54:44 pm
Hope you don't mind bonjoy but I've copied some of those details on to the UKC page.

Droyd

• addict
#4 Re: Squirrel Buttress Approach?
July 01, 2022, 06:08:21 pm
Really useful replies, thanks both for taking the time to write all of that out. Hopefully the approach via the Monsal Trail becomes the default, and I'll definitely take some trousers (thanks Bradders) when I go!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 06:36:49 pm by Droyd »

Bradders

• forum hero
#5 Re: Squirrel Buttress Approach?
July 01, 2022, 06:27:32 pm
If the approach is highly vegetated maybe take some trousers too!!

Wood FT

• forum hero
#6 Re: Squirrel Buttress Approach?
July 02, 2022, 07:34:01 pm
As is often the case the answer is not totally simple.
The crag is listed as Landowner Unknown on the RAD, but it is most likely owned by the Peak Park or National Trust. In previous discussions between NT and the fishermen regards a buttress on the same side of the river but nearer the Tor, the fishermen had no objection to climbing perse, they were just concerned about disturbance to fishing. For this reason the RAD suggests not crossing when fishermen are anywhere in sight on or near the river. It also suggests avoiding the crag on the weekend, although in my experience the river is more active with fishermen midweek.
However you read this advice, you should be prepared exit the crag via the rear if a fisherman is in sight when you wish to leave. Which means knowing this route before you arrive at the crag (mobile reception is poor at the crag). The best way to do this is to walk in from the trail, so you know the way back. This only increases the walk-in by 5 mins and it’s not an arduous approach once you find the right line.
For the rear approach go over the footbridge just west of the pub and climb up onto the Monsal Trail. Follow the trail for about 200m. After a short section of cutting there is a path of sorts going left (badger trail possibly) onto the slope pretty much directly above the crag. To get down follow the slope downhill bearing west/upstream until you can easily drop down just right/west of the bouldering.
All things considered it would reduce potential conflict with the fishermen if this approach was treated as the default option.
I’d hope it goes without say, but I’ll say it anyway - Don’t turn up with a crowd, don’t bring a dog, don’t be loud, be polite if anyone challenges you, and leave if asked to do so (but please, FFS, get a name and phone number if this happens).
PS – I’ve corrected the map pin position on UKC.

nice one for writing that out

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#7 Re: Squirrel Buttress Approach?
July 03, 2022, 09:19:07 pm
I went at the start of June for first time.

Approach from Monsal was good. The thing about mudslides in the old thread is wrong I think. It could be slippy in the rain but not dangerous in any way.

Jonboys description is good. I was a bit unsure about where to drop down but my first guess turned out to be right.

The description on the old thread mentions bearing left down the slop past a rock butress. This helped me.

In summary, it seemed like it would be confusing but was actually fine.

Droyd

• addict
#8 Re: Squirrel Buttress Approach?
July 05, 2022, 11:41:03 am
Checked it out on the way home yesterday evening and would agree that Jon's description was easy to follow and straightforward - thanks again. Took me ten minutes, and that was stopping to read the directions. I can sort of see the selfish appeal of wading in that the Monsal approach involves walking up a steep hill to walk back down again a couple of hundred metres along, but between the nettles mentioned by crzylgs between the crag and the water (very much out in force) and the anglers I don't see why it'd be an appealing option.

The crag seems to be basically hidden by the leaves at the moment, which is a bonus for both access and temperature reasons, and Candy Kaned looks to live up to the hype in terms of rock quality.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal