UKBouldering.com

Solo Northumberland beta (Read 1220 times)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Solo Northumberland beta
April 06, 2022, 03:01:03 pm
I'm heading up to Northumberland tomorrow on a solo mission and keen to do some classic low to mid 7s without putting myself in too much peril.

Thinking Edlingham Thursday afternoon, Simonside & ravensheugh Friday, Bowden Saturday and shaftoe Sunday morning on the way back.

The roof into wall problems look safe at edlingham but wondered about Dulcinea, duergar and reiver as solo options. I'm ok with high and flat landings but aware that the knees and back ain't what they used to be! Are they all 3 Padders?

Hoping to stay at the Highburn House place I saw on an old thread near Wooler. Any alternative options (1 man and his tent) or other recommendations would be ace in case they have no availability.

If anyone is keen to hook up for a climb Thurs-Sat to try any of the aforementioned give me a shout. :)

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Solo Northumberland beta
April 06, 2022, 03:17:40 pm
personally I'd want a few more pads for the stuff at Simonside (apart from Dulcinea) - carrying them all up there solo is another matter

its a bit more tucked away but you can camp at the clennell house hall too, bit more laid back set up and less likely to be busy

gme

• forum hero
#2 Re: Solo Northumberland beta
April 06, 2022, 05:29:14 pm
Loads to do with one pad on the simon side sections, I have been up there plenty of times on my own.

Ravensheugh a bit less so, all the best stuff needs a few pads and if you do fuck your self up could easily be a month before you were found. Will be dirty as well at this time of year. One of the best spots in the county but better with a few others or take a rope and a shunt.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#3 Re: Solo Northumberland beta
April 06, 2022, 09:14:29 pm
Cheers guys, much appreciated. Going to stay at Clennel Hall now and will definitely pay Simonside a visit on Friday. I'll save Ravensheugh for a team psyche and more pads day :)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Solo Northumberland beta
April 06, 2022, 09:28:06 pm
As an aside, if you want to be trackable when out alone, it’s hard to beat the Life 360 app. Admittedly, it’s primary  purpose is ensuring your little ones haven’t gone astray en route from school to home, but it works for solo boulderers as well 😉

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal