UKBouldering.com

Russia/Ukraine (Read 66658 times)

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#300 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 10:29:17 am
My god I tried to watch that Russell Brand video with an open mind. That is 20mins of my life I will never get back.

He really is a tit! It’s just full of bullshit spouted by some guy that clearly has a Jesus complex.

abarro81

• forum hero
#301 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 10:47:12 am
Brand's whole argument stems from a first principle that any "mainstream narrative" must be wrong/a sinister construct and goes from there.

This seems to be a common theme among a certain set of people (at least from my experience of a few of them I have as friends on Facebook). Usually accompanied by some waffle about critical thinking, followed a few hrs later by some other posts where they fall into every trap they rant against by applying zero critical thinking to any source that seems alternative and therefore trustworthy. Even when it's obviously just someone on youtube peddling bollocks. My irony sensor got overloaded in covid with these people ranting against the culture of fear pushed by the MSM in order for corporations and gov to profit  whilst every second post on their page was pushing fear of slightly different things from slightly different angles... For some idiot on YouTube to profit from  :wall:

Doylo

• forum hero
#302 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 10:52:30 am
Another interesting commentary on the Is it as simple as "Putin's a bad man"? question:

Sorry, it's Russell Brand. I like his delivery and insight.

I thought the previous article was quite simple, again also inviting us to consider our own conceits.

It was inviting us to reflect on our own position, our own interpretation, what do we have to gain - and lose - for e.g. by referring to Putin as simply "a bad man"?

How objectively do we view our own action and it's consequences?

How are they perceived by others? In your own analysis, are you giving an example of the very point raised? I do think our own interests already influence how we interpret things, and what we accept as "givens".

It might just be me but I find it hard to apply any of my minuscule brain power to this kind of stuff when he's dropping bombs on maternity hospitals and setting nuclear power stations on fire.  I'll give it another go when/if he stops that kind of malarkey.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#303 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 10:56:49 am
For some idiot on YouTube to profit from  :wall:

This is a biggie. This isn't a discourse, it's an enterprise. Like and subscribe, hit share, come and see my live show. It's all money in the bank and the sensationalist 'truth bombs' are what pull in the punters.

petejh

• forum hero
#304 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 11:11:17 am
You lot are so asleep at the wheel. You need to be ‘awakened’. Tickets for the tour available now! You’ll be awakened by Russell Brand’s incredible insightful wisdom such as: the mainstream media doesn’t give you the full picture, governments of all types use rhetoric to push their preferred narratives, and western liberal democracy isn’t an angelic Mary Poppins force for everything in the world that’s good.

Outrageous. Whatever next! I’m waiting for Brand’s exposé that the earth is round and the sun rises in the east. We’ve all been asleep believing these flat-earthers.

Anyone seen the YouTube clips of that Russian bloke version of Russell Brand? No me either, but I’m sure they’re doing perfectly fine…

Russell Banned.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:17:37 am by petejh »

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#305 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 11:44:32 am
I'd suggest trying to find some more credible sources for alternative points of view dave, turning to russel brand to help illuminate your position is akin to presenting what you found on the floor under the barrel after you'd scraped the bottom totally clean.

Nails

• addict
#306 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 12:06:42 pm
As if things aren't depressing enough, to find Russell Brand has 5 million subscribers. Call me a snob, but I can't actually bear listening to him. About 3 "Pootins" in I had to turn off.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#307 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 12:29:17 pm
Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi said China hopes the “war” in Ukraine can stop “as soon as possible”
Reported in Guardian. This language contradicts Russian domestic propaganda.
Are the Chinese getting uncomfortable with the conflict and its impact on the global economy now?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#308 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 12:46:13 pm
Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi said China hopes the “war” in Ukraine can stop “as soon as possible”
Reported in Guardian. This language contradicts Russian domestic propaganda.
Are the Chinese getting uncomfortable with the conflict and its impact on the global economy now?

China has the odd issue, that they would rather avoid discussing and seem to manage some extraordinary contortions to not throw stones that could legitimately be lobbed straight back into their own, glass, house.
So, if they’re lobbing even the dampest of sponges, you could probably translate it as a substantial boulder in intent.
Ultimately, they want to do business and Putin is getting in the way.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#309 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 12:48:57 pm
Yes, I read it as significant signalling on their position.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#310 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 01:11:10 pm
They've donated aid to Ukraine as well. A really tiny sum, but the fact that they've donated at all is a huge signal of intent.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

Wellsy

• forum hero
#312 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 02:31:05 pm
A lot of people have said that the Russians are basically evil for their attacks on maternity hospitals etc, and of course yeah, but I think we're less seeing a change in strategy here towards "bomb em into submission" and more that the Russian forces are making big tactical mistakes as well as showing their lack of gear.

They already lack Precision Guided Munitions and what ones they did have can be used by limited platforms. Their ability to replenish is also severely curtailed. Lack of intelligence and communication, and a reliance on unguided weapons like dumb artillery, plus lack of discipline and an enemy that is heavily dug in, tells me that the Russian army is basically limited to shelling things without good intelligence, spotting, follow up information, fire discipline and accuracy.

Their forces are just getting less and less effective and their ability to conduct precise, well guided strikes has fallen from the poor place it started in. I've seen a few people ask how the Ukrainian MANPADs are useful when the Russian jets can fly out of their altitude range; because they're reduced to unguided rockets and bombs would be my thinking.

The political situation will be exacerbated by all these problems. It does really go to show that actually in modern warfare you are way better off having 12 genuinely modern advanced aircraft with precision guided munitions over two or three times as many outdated aircraft with unguided munitions.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#313 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 02:55:20 pm
“Over the past decade, hospitals across Syria have been attacked more than 400 times. Data obtained by DW suggests the attacks formed part of a larger strategy to cripple access to medical facilities in rebel-held areas.

https://www.dw.com/en/syrias-hospitals-face-systematic-attacks-report/a-56811097

Bombing hospitals is the standard mode of operation for russia's army.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#314 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 03:08:08 pm
I read somewhere that enough of the air defence systems are going to mean that russian aircraft have to fly low to avoid, and therefore in range of the MANPAD. Could be a load of rubbish though.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#315 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 03:49:54 pm
I read somewhere that enough of the air defence systems are going to mean that russian aircraft have to fly low to avoid, and therefore in range of the MANPAD. Could be a load of rubbish though.

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/rusi-defence-systems/russian-air-force-actually-incapable-complex-air-operations

I have no ability to verify the arguments made, but it is an interesting argument...

Nails

• addict
#316 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 04:32:52 pm
That article is actually really good. It took me a while to realise that RUSI is the Royal United Services Institute so it should be pretty reliable and authoritative.

Another interesting one on the state of Russian Army comms https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/russian-comms-ukraine-world-hertz

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#317 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 05:05:17 pm
That article is actually really good. It took me a while to realise that RUSI is the Royal United Services Institute so it should be pretty reliable and authoritative.

Another interesting one on the state of Russian Army comms https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/russian-comms-ukraine-world-hertz

It is/they are. Along with Defence Intelligence they feature prominently in our briefings here (I’m in Dartmouth at BRNC suffering death by Power Point, only incidentally about Ukraine, mostly policy shit). DI can be found through the MOD website and they’ve been issuing uncontrolled stuff as daily public briefing. If it’s in one of those, it’s verified.
Edit:
Honestly MOD is worth a follow on Facebook. Useful explainers and updates:
https://www.facebook.com/theministryofdefence
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 05:18:51 pm by Oldmanmatt »

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#318 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 07:01:15 pm

Bittersweet announcement but after an amazing 2 years as an infectious disease expert I am moving on. I am now an expert in no-fly zones and Eastern European affairs. Excited to make the most of this new opportunity.

@RobbySlowik Twitter

Bradders

• forum hero
#319 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 07:51:49 pm

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/rusi-defence-systems/russian-air-force-actually-incapable-complex-air-operations

I have no ability to verify the arguments made, but it is an interesting argument...

I read a similar article that said the level of aircraft losses they're taking can't be sustained for more than a week or two from now. Fingers crossed I suppose!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#320 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 08:08:34 pm
I may have already mentioned this.
I'm in Slovakia at the moment. The people I am staying with have been using their unbooked rooms and chalets (and their own home) to accommodate Ukrainian refugees. They have also been using their minibuses to shuttle people from the border.
I asked about best options for making donations and everyone round here says "Red Cross".
Sorry if this is a repost. I've been telling everyone.
https://www.icrc.org/en

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#321 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 08:51:43 pm
I was aware - knew, it was a given - that posting a video from Russell Brand would get more of a reaction - dismissed/ridiculed etc - simply because of the "Brand/source" than it's content.

We can either applaud things that play to our already decided positions/prejudices - or think carefully about our own thinking and response.

How ridiculous is it, to dismiss something on the basis of the way that someone says Putin for instance?

The radio programme on BBC4 at the moment with Michael Clarke, started with a comment on "how unthinkable it is that a European country was invaded".

No one wants to talk about the fact that Putin won't view it as an invasion at all.

Why does everyone find it so difficult to consider how Putin views the situation?

Not doing so is just as conceited as not considering the part we may have played in the crisis.

None of that "allows" for the atrocities being committed here, but not doing, allows for atrocities in the future.

What influence do we have on China? What influence the US? What comfortable relations do we "enjoy" in other areas?

If we can't consider how Putin and Russia views that now - and the same applies to any other nation - then we are in our own very lazy way simply accepting that it's "unthinkable that a European nation has been invaded in the 21st century".

It was obvious that people were going to take issue with "Brand's Brand", but that's no different to any other excuse for not taking a second look at things.

.. and that's the most dangerous thing of all.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#322 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 09:42:25 pm
Like Moo said, Brand isn’t a great point of reference because he makes some good points about interrogating your assumptions, as do you, but also mixes it up with uncritical and conspiratorial assertions which undermines his argument and leaves him open to accusations of hypocrisy/ peddling conspiracy for cash. Which is a shame as he is intelligent and articulate, but ultimately a showman who doesn’t use his gifts as he could.

You are banging the drum for self-reflection which I think is a good thing Dave. However, the context here is horror at war crimes being committed (bombing a maternity unit yesterday, cluster bomb on a kindergarten the day before) and I think it would help to make a really explicit separation of the two issues.

It is important to see the complexity to avoid blundering into future wars. It’s also important to digest the horrors of this one.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#323 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 10:03:32 pm
Dave, stop posting nonsense on here and come help out at the border here in Medyka, there is lots of work to do and climbers are good at being outside in the cold. Fly out here and I'll pick you up from the airport.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#324 Re: Russia/Ukraine
March 10, 2022, 11:05:15 pm
It isn't nonsense to consider how we approach and view things.

It is nonsense to try to claim that suggesting that, is the same as ignoring the horrors of this crisis.

That is nonsense.

I found it very interesting at the time, that no one commented on Alexei Navalny's return to Russia.

Not a drop.

Nothing of what I have posted is somehow a negation of what's happening now - the death destruction and suffering - but in my view, it is a facile call to make, to claim that other reflection isn't warranted, or just to claim that we are where we are now.

That completely ignores where we may be in the future.

Discounting anything of our own part to play in the relations and tensions which may have played a part in the lead up to this crisis, is what is irresponsible about our own position, and disqualifies our own judgement.

Hate is always an easy wagon to jump on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal