UKBouldering.com

Favourite circuit in Font? (Read 7587 times)

Eddies

• forum hero
Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 09:16:35 am
I’m going to Font at the end of this month, and I’m interested to hear about your favourite circuit there.

In the past I’ve always headed straight to a project and warmed up on the closest warmups then got cracking; but this year I fancy spending the first day or two enjoying a couple of circuits.

rodma

• forum hero
#1 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 09:20:35 am
Sky blue at rocher canon, has one total sandbag of a slab in the middle, in a wee corridor, but other than that is just great from start to finish

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 09:39:39 am
Is that the one with razor sharp grattons? I generally avoid anything with those.

Eddies

• forum hero
#3 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 09:42:56 am
Thanks Rodma,
Will check it out.
I went to Rocher Canon for the first time on my last trip and did a couple of white 7As there and thought hey were excellent.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 09:48:56 am
Canon is one of my favourite areas, not too spread out, but still nice and open, and easy to navigate your way around, and a good spread of problems, all a good height.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#5 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 09:49:29 am
It's not really climbing, more like a rest day scramble in clean trainers, but the orange circuit at Apremont is one that stands out. I haven't actually done it all, just dipped in and out of it at the end of a day. It's easy, but still thoughtful, scrambling, up and down and in and out of interesting and surprising terrain, often with the slightest hint of spice from uninviting landings. I was always really pleased to see where the circuit painter was taking us next - they really seemed to get a lot out of the rock there.

rodma

• forum hero
#6 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 10:02:00 am
Is that the one with razor sharp grattons? I generally avoid anything with those.

No at least I don't think so, I don't recall it being particularly crimpy, loads of knacky problems on it, with quite a few overhanging once it gets properly underway.

rodma

• forum hero
#7 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 10:05:14 am
It's not really climbing, more like a rest day scramble in clean trainers, but the orange circuit at Apremont is one that stands out. I haven't actually done it all, just dipped in and out of it at the end of a day. It's easy, but still thoughtful, scrambling, up and down and in and out of interesting and surprising terrain, often with the slightest hint of spice from uninviting landings. I was always really pleased to see where the circuit painter was taking us next - they really seemed to get a lot out of the rock there.

Had completely forgotten about that one, isn't that the mountaineering one that goes on for km? Seem to recall a few spicy onsight downclimbs. Failed to complete it on a similar rest day

danm

• junky
#8 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 10:15:06 am

Had completely forgotten about that one, isn't that the mountaineering one that goes on for km? Seem to recall a few spicy onsight downclimbs. Failed to complete it on a similar rest day
You may be thinking of the mountain circuit at Cuisiniere? Trainers and a backpack job, it's 6km long I think? The red circuit there is a fantastic day out too I thought, not that I managed to complete it!

rodma

• forum hero
#9 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 10:22:47 am

You may be thinking of the mountain circuit at Cuisiniere? Trainers and a backpack job, it's 6km long I think? The red circuit there is a fantastic day out too I thought, not that I managed to complete it!

Ah, that's the one, is it not also painted with orange, only it's stripes rather than numbers?
If so, that's where my confusion had come from, if not it's just the drink

36chambers

• forum hero
#10 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 10:39:37 am
I absolutely adore the white circuit problems at Isatis. Although I have yet to try to do it as a proper circuit. Definitely one day.

I remember having great fun doing the blue circuit at Apremont and the orange one at 91.1.

I'm actually struggling to think of a bad circuit that I've tried. Although I'd avoid somewhere that's too esoteric as the problems might be dusty, or missing numbers. But otherwise the consideration could be whether you fancy a sandy open place (like cul du chien, 91.1, elephant) or wandering through the trees (like Apremont), which can feel more adventurous. Both are great in their own way. Also, doing a circuit somewhere you're not familiar with can make it more fun too. Especially, if it's not busy. God I love Font. 

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#11 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 03:55:04 pm
Doing the “baltic blue” circuit at Gorges d’Apremont is one of my greatest memories in climbing. It’s about 4-6a and my mate did it as an  active rest day with one pad, not realising that a lot of it’s really quite high. It did not feel like a rest day.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#12 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 05:35:27 pm
The reds. Definitely the reds  :2thumbsup:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#13 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 08:57:50 pm
La Mauve at Dame Jouanne is the biggie, 76 problems of supposedly straight forward grades taking an amazing long winding journey around the crag and pinnacle. There is some soloing, lots of quality and routefinding has a surprisingly big mountain route feel. I stumbled on it with Unc after popping a tendon on salle gosse on day 1; it made the trip.

Ged

• junky
#14 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 09:53:12 pm
 Again not a circuit, but the 25 bosses is a brilliant outing for a non climbing day. It gives you a surprising beating in the legs for a run/walk in a flat forest. Loads of good scrambling over the hills (bosses) with great running in between. We started it at the Croix st Jerome, but just as easy to start at sabots

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#15 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 10, 2022, 10:09:09 pm
The blues or oranges at bois rond are a low stress chilled day out with good climbing on some varied features.

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 11, 2022, 06:14:06 am
Red circuit at Bois Rond is my favourite. Also the blue and red circuit run mostly parallel, so you can climb both: more climbing, less faff

danm

• junky
#17 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 11, 2022, 10:54:56 am
Again not a circuit, but the 25 bosses is a brilliant outing for a non climbing day. It gives you a surprising beating in the legs for a run/walk in a flat forest. Loads of good scrambling over the hills (bosses) with great running in between. We started it at the Croix st Jerome, but just as easy to start at sabots
Good shout this, I've only walked a bit of it on a soggy day but it was fun and made me realise the forest is hillier than I thought. Great how they make the walk more interesting by winding through features too.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#18 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 11, 2022, 12:34:41 pm

Think this is the one that sticks in my memory went there after bas Cuvier and followed oranges for days barely touching the ground until they ran out an we were completely lost in the woods.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#19 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 11, 2022, 01:07:38 pm
The red parcours-montagne circuit at Franchard Cuisiniere was being worked on when I was out last September. A fun 'rest day' circuit best done in approach shoes. It's damn long though, I didn't manage the full thing.

The mauve circuit at Dame Jouanne is a superb day out. Another gigantic circuit, really quite adventurous with a few sections I opted out of since the risk factor was a little above my limits. Would recommend wearing climbing shoes with socks for this one.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#20 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 11, 2022, 01:19:14 pm

Think this is the one that sticks in my memory went there after bas Cuvier and followed oranges for days barely touching the ground until they ran out an we were completely lost in the woods.

To be clear, the orange circuit that people are referring to (the very very long one at Cuisiniere, I think) is a different animal to that which I described at Apremont.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#21 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 11, 2022, 01:41:48 pm
We really loved the Canon sky blue circuit too, and Canon was my kids favourite place for various reasons. We got spanked on quite a few problems on that circuit but, for more competent parties, I imagine it would be pretty much exactly the best sort of level and variety to start a trip with...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#22 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 11, 2022, 05:36:39 pm
The mauve circuit at Dame Jouanne is a superb day out. Another gigantic circuit, really quite adventurous with a few sections I opted out of since the risk factor was a little above my limits. Would recommend wearing climbing shoes with socks for this one.

I did it in tennies. The only move I couldn't do was a traverse 2" above the sand.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#23 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 11, 2022, 05:46:22 pm

I did it in tennies. The only move I couldn't do was a traverse 2" above the sand.

That little section would be quite something in tennies. I wouldn't fancy some of the higher stuff in anything other than climbing shoes, but each to their own.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#24 Re: Favourite circuit in Font?
February 11, 2022, 07:53:28 pm
Five ten used to make really good approach shoes. I don't think any if the high stuff was any harder than VS, but yeah it's definitely soloing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal