UKBouldering.com

The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates (Read 41253 times)

Franco

• menacing presence
#200 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 12:05:06 pm
Good effort for coming here and putting your side Franco.

I'd genuinely welcome guidance on what I should do in the future, as I basically just want to be able to go out with my pals and do my own thing, show it in a semi-cringe video and then not have huge levels of controversy surrounding it.

I’d say, given the background, if you wanted to avoid controversy it would have been better to report that you’d found a new sequence on The Prow, acknowledged that some would consider this as not an ascent of the original line and offered your opinion on the grade of the new sequence. I.e. make this the news not the footnote. You’d then be in a good position to make your case that what you climbed should be included within the definition of The Prow. Announcing you’d done The Prow and then going into the qualifying details afterwards, in the context of the controversy around The Young, was inevitably going to lead to the type of discussion that followed. You don’t come across as being naïve to how social media works, and you’ve been in your fair share of lively online debates*. I’d expect you to know how these things go. Hence why I thought it was a stunt.

Thanks for this. This is fair advice and something I'll try in the future. To me it was a footnote mind, as I just didn't think anyone in their right mind would consider this a new line. If I had been unsure whether what I'd done was a new route, I would have done as you say.

*Which reminds me, have you climbed Dangermouse yet, and renamed it “Owning Jon Fullwood”? You asked to be nominated an E9 to climb in the Peak to prove your case that they were all piss. You said this would be “relatively little effort”, as all Peak E9s were “nowt but polished crappy boulder problems in the sky, where the inadequate court fame and the lunatics stroll by”. The bet is ten years old now. That hat still needs eating. :whistle:

Nearly went there the other day, but someone said conditions would be rubbish. Still never been to the crag. The bet's still on though. What are we betting?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#201 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 12:46:46 pm
Nearly went there the other day, but someone said conditions would be rubbish. Still never been to the crag. The bet's still on though. What are we betting?

I'd bet you a whole kendal mint cake, but you seem mad enough to kill yourself trying for it, so I won't. Good effort coming on here and facing the baying hordes.

FWIW what you did looks totally different to The Prow to me; with a boulderer's head on. From the videos it's clear you use many of the same holds, but with your LH rather than the RH, and with your body a full arm span (so ~6ft) further right than Ned, Dan and Mickey.

If it was a sport route I'd call that two different sequences, but there are countless examples of boulder problems where these would be considered two separate problems...

abarro81

• forum hero
#202 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 12:57:25 pm
Imagine what topos would look like in guidebooks if there were such slight variations recorded. It'd be ridiculous.
I take it you don't own that many bouldering guides? Variations this close exist all over the place in bouldering

I think Steve and Varian have really misrepresented how different these sequences are
Bearing in mind that there are videos, I'm sure we can make up our own minds

In a broad sense, you're right that escapability makes hard things worse, as many on here have already said... but that's very different to saying that the "escape" variation is the same as the other version... so we're back to where we started on whether in this instances it looks like a variation or just a different sequence

rodma

• forum hero
#203 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 12:59:04 pm
https://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/dbpage.php?id=69757

I know this is OT, but is Earl and directed-line relevant.

Photo at ukc of earl on bloodsport (sorry, couldn't remember how to embed piccies) has him boosting out left from the pod. Every video of anyone doing a repeat has them going straight up. I also have worked it going straight up since it is less scary, physically easier and seemed logical (probably because you don't have to launch off the edge of the stepped ground).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#204 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 01:05:03 pm
I was going to eat a hat (Colin Binks style pink cap), I'm not sure what you put on the line, other than your life.
The bet was your idea, you challenged an anonymous poster to nominate any Peak E9. They didn't oblige so I suggested one.

I thought I'd done the prow. The original line didn't actually stick to climbing the thing on the overhung side, so what difference did it make that I stepped right before, rather than after that mono pop? You can climb an overhung arete either on the overhung side, or on the slabby side. It's still a prow.   Afterwards I did comment to my pals there that "people won't be happy i used a different sequence", but I firmly expected them to be a handful of people who don't get what makes a great line, as it seems blindingly obvious to me that the thing I climbed was the same as what everyone else had done. Imagine what topos would look like in guidebooks if there were such slight variations recorded. It'd be ridiculous.

It doesn't have to be either or. This is what variants are for. When something is neither the original climb or a separate climb, but it's existence is relevant to future ascentionists. It avoids deciding which it is by making it both. The guides don't necessarily need to draw extra lines, or add extra number entries, it can be just a name and grade and description within the description of the parent line. So long as there is a clear, logical and easily described difference to the parent, and a reasonable proportion of climbers think the sequence merits describing as a variant then it should be recorded as such. I think further ascentionists would value knowing how the line has been climbed and what the relative difficulties are, and this is well covered by defining a variant.

northern yob

• stalker
#205 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 01:15:40 pm

I think Steve and Varian have really misrepresented how different these sequences are.

I don’t think Steve and Dan have, I think they see it as I do, hence my west side story analogy. To me it’s like the gaston sequence of wss, yes it uses virtually the same holds and climbs pretty much the same bit of rock, but to me it climbed completely differently to all the other sequences and I really didn’t feel like I’d climbed the problem. I’d climbed round what wss actually was (at least in my head). I think this whole subjective thing of what an actual route/problem/ line is is where the problem and the criticism of you lies it was the same with the young! I don’t think anyone is trying to diminish what you have achieved, it’s just that people see it as a different thing to what you have said it is.

Either way it’s a great effort, it’s also great that you are on here justifying what you think and why you think it.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#206 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 01:23:07 pm
Not read the whole thing yet but skimmed down and randomly landed here:
The first thing we need to decide is whether this line is a boulder problem or a route. As far as I'm aware, every prior ascent has been headpointed
Err, no. All ascents so far have done it as a highball above pads. I.e., it's a boulder problem!

Looking at previous reporting it’s not been done ground up yet. Will top roped it first and “"Dan and Ned had a quick look for holds on a rope and after a brief clean and working of the moves off the ab rope, decided it was possible above pads” So, overall it’s fair of Franco to say it’s only been headpointed to date even if the amount of working was minimal.

Bradders

• forum hero
#207 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 01:49:18 pm
Headpointing to me implies it's a route, but it's not as consensus is clearly to highball boulder it above pads.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#208 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 01:56:30 pm
Headpointing to me implies it's a route, but it's not as consensus is clearly to highball boulder it above pads.

All the ascents have been done above pads but whether you regard it as soloing above pads or highballing above pads is just matter of perspective. It’s certainly high enough to get a route grade and got a route grade in the guide. Plenty of headpoint ascents have used mat protection such as Craig Matheson’s Hard Cheese for example.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#209 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 02:19:06 pm
It doesn't matter whether one considers it a route or a boulder problem, headpointing in this context just means its been prepracticed on a rope rather than done ground up. One can disagree about how relevant that is, but if you (Bradders) say that chucking a rope down something doesn't make it a route (which I agree with) then putting pads under it doesn't make it a boulder problem either.

Most boulder problems aren't practiced on a rope first, but most really high boulder problems are, and a lot of bold routes are as well. Highball captures the distinction nicely; neither wholly route nor wholly boulder problem, but applying the protection of a boulder problem (pads) with the ethical practices of routes (ground up ascent the stylistic aspiration, but for reasons of practicality and safety a lot of ascents will be involve cleaning/pre practice). What grading system we use (boulder or route) is just a matter of preference I guess.

Half this discussion is people trying to force square pegs into round holes.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#210 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 02:23:14 pm
Something else that occurred to me yesterday was that I suspect a lot of those who sympathise with Franco are predominantly route climbers and a lot of those who think hes talking nonsense are more exclusively boulderers. There seems to be quite a big difference in how the two groups view the rock, view a sequence and talk about 'lines.' Obviously some people will be in the middle of the Venn diagram or disprove this idea (eg Barrows/Stu) but would be an interesting poll.

ali k

• junky
#211 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 02:34:29 pm
Unfortunately if you want to spend more time out Trad climbing these days (and you're not minted), particularly on long term projects, you have to put yourself out in that way. If it's a choice between not getting the projects I want to do done (the next ones aren't going to work with a full time job), or a few dozen people on here thinking I'm a narcissist, then I'd choose the latter
Life sucks eh! Not sure the choice is that binary, although work does tend to get in the way of enjoying yourself to some extent for most people unfortunately. Hope it works out for you.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#212 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 03:35:25 pm
Half this discussion is people trying to force square pegs into round holes.

A pegging controversy would really be the icing on this cake.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#213 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 03:44:09 pm
Ironically square pegs work pretty well in round holes in a climbing context.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#214 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 04:51:01 pm
A pegging controversy would really be the icing on this cake.

I wouldn't say getting pegged at Kyloe is controversial, more just a slightly bizarre kink. But each to their own.

clm

• forum hero
#215 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 05:36:05 pm
Barely been on the forum for a decade. Logged in when I saw this kicking off. Glad to see nothing’s changed!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#216 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 06:12:44 pm
Fuck me, the prodigal one has returned.

clm

• forum hero
#217 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 06:23:24 pm
I’ve even been climbing 4 times since Christmas Chris!

ferret

• forum abuser
#218 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 07:50:54 pm
At least Franco didn't bring out a vhs where his mate shows him a problem which is then "revealed" to have been recently climbed by an adversary in some clearly orchestrated attempt to throw shade. That's old school trolling at its finest. Still love that fat fucker despite how cringeworthy it was so I'm sure Franco is just fine.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#219 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 07:59:10 pm
At least Franco didn't bring out a vhs where his mate shows him a problem which is then "revealed" to have been recently climbed by an adversary in some clearly orchestrated attempt to throw shade. That's old school trolling at its finest. Still love that fat fucker despite how cringeworthy it was so I'm sure Franco is just fine.

:lol:

"It can't be 7a, because according to Dan I can't climb 7a."

Danny

• junky
#220 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 09:20:56 pm
Just want to pick up on the narcissism accusation here. Strikes me as a bit off. I mean, maybe it's true, but loads of us commenting on here put out videos, blogs, Instagram posts, and articles about stuff we've done. Pots and kettles all the way.

Doylo, for example, made an entire half hour film about himself trying to climb an 8B. Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant film, but still, it's fundamentally no different to Franco making films about stuff he's climbed.

shaun l

#221 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 09:26:21 pm
Hey Franco, mint looking line, whatever it is! I subscribe to your channel and like seeing what you get up to. Inspire young people, take care of yourself buddy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#222 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 10:26:54 pm
I’ve even been climbing 4 times since Christmas Chris!

Truly back. That's more than me (not saying much, and I was in the Alps).

Doylo

• forum hero
#223 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 11:01:38 pm
Just want to pick up on the narcissism accusation here. Strikes me as a bit off. I mean, maybe it's true, but loads of us commenting on here put out videos, blogs, Instagram posts, and articles about stuff we've done. Pots and kettles all the way.

Doylo, for example, made an entire half hour film about himself trying to climb an 8B. Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant film, but still, it's fundamentally no different to Franco making films about stuff he's climbed.

Excessive need for admiration for not climbing something  :lol:
True I did film myself, maybe I am a hypocrite. I’d put it down to habit of 20 years making odd videos for something to do on rest days/ scratching a small creative itch. I’ll let others judge. I was thinking of the whole picture rather than just the act of filming yourself. Think the desire for acclaim does come with youth to be fair.  I’ll admit  to getting a small dopamine hit when appeared in mag or a news item in my 20s and you do want people to think you’re good at that age for some reason. Then you get old, grumpy and realise it’s just nonsense and no one really cares. Would have had a drone in the cave instead of the 100 quid camcorder if the roof was higher. Probably should have just superglued JackPal to the ceiling for 18 months for filming duties . He probably would have liked that (and taken 9A no doubt ).

Jacqusie

• stalker
#224 Re: The Prow at Kyloe / Eliminates
February 10, 2022, 11:07:09 pm
Shades of this classic thread, where I think you can see it's not just Franco or using extra holds. You can even use less holds than your mates and still be held up as a cop-out cheat.

Someone did something and then someone did the same thing but differently. Then someone else did it too? .... Part deux

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal