UKBouldering.com

Things Rich Simpson Actually Did (Read 27573 times)

remus

• forum hero
Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 06:16:06 pm
Does anyone know which (if any) of Rich Simpson's claimed ascents actually happened? i.e. where there's a reliable witness or it's on film.

There's a list of some of the things he's claimed here https://www.8a.nu/user/richard-simpson/sportclimbing

Kingy

• forum hero
#1 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 06:28:09 pm
I knew and climbed with Rich 15 years ago. Unfortunately, doubt is thrown on all his claims due to the controversy that took place. To my knowledge, there is no known uncut footage or reliable witnesses to any hard ascents. Please correct me if I am wrong. Of course this was in an era when video was less common than today.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 07:31:26 pm
Can we throw in a list for Gaskins too? And, errr, Si Connor actually maybe not that won't be a very long list will it.

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#3 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 07:54:26 pm
I'd love to interview Rich. I'm not all that interested in what he actually did, but I find it fascinating that someone who was clearly so strong bothered to lie so many times. Maybe one plausible lie opens the door? Obviously they got outrageous in the end, but many were quite believable to a casual observer, at least in terms of what he looked capable of.

Old magazine interviews with him are a good read, even more so given what happened later.

While I'm not interested in the did he/didn't he part, establishing what pedigree he can confirm with credible witnesses is of interest to me. He surely has some hard ascents that can be verified?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 08:01:22 pm
There were lots of witnesses to his board strength indoors, notably at the school. Outside everything seemed to have a cloud of smoke around it.

I’m not sure why you’d want to interview a pathological liar. Do you think he’d be truthful? He led a load of us a merry dance promising to reveal evidence if certain conditions were fulfilled, then moving goalposts (both for himself and when he publicly doubted Ben Heason). Of course nothing came of it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 08:03:50 pm
There were lots of witnesses to his board strength indoors, notably at the school. Outside everything seemed to have a cloud of smoke around it.

I had to laugh once when someone from this parish suggested Rich was never all that strong anyway. I climbed with him plenty in the school and he was a total monster.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#6 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 08:15:39 pm
Based on exchanges with his belayer I think he did Liquid Ambar despite thinking he’s a cunt.

abarro81

• forum hero
#7 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 08:30:48 pm
Rich has a history of lying that goes beyond climbing so it's clearly driven something quite underlying..

Bradders

• forum hero
#8 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 08:41:32 pm
I’m not sure why you’d want to interview a pathological liar. Do you think he’d be truthful? He led a load of us a merry dance promising to reveal evidence if certain conditions were fulfilled, then moving goalposts (both for himself and when he publicly doubted Ben Heason). Of course nothing came of it.

Probably a similar sort of morbid fascination as all the recent programmes proporting to delve into the minds of serial killers. I do find it quite intriguing how extreme examples of narccissism develop, and how they can twist and turn almost anything to suit their narrative.

petejh

• forum hero
#9 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 08:46:28 pm
Based on exchanges with his belayer I think he did Liquid Ambar despite thinking he’s a cunt.

Who, Rich? Or his belayer (Dan)?

And it’s queynte. Some decorum please  ::)

edshakey

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 08:50:39 pm
Can we have a quick "Things Rich Simpson Claimed He Did" summary? My only knowledge of Rich Simpson is seeing his name mentioned in old threads on here. What exactly are some of these outlandish claims that he made?

I'm guessing this one fell into the contentious bracket then

Kingy

• forum hero
#11 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 08:54:59 pm
Can we have a quick "Things Rich Simpson Claimed He Did" summary?

Look no further than his 8a.nu scorecard linked to above

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#12 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 08:59:21 pm
Rich Simpson - with a little help from Doylo - you cock  ;D - just inspired me to try progressing to one finger levers on the fingerboard (well 2 + 1 first). Good go first, then just decked out fully with a horizontal slam onto bare boards.

It really hurt.

Sorry for the off topic.
Simpson is still an inspirational figure for some of us.

Good to ask the questions.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 09:10:25 pm
Can we have a quick "Things Rich Simpson Claimed He Did" summary?

Look no further than his 8a.nu scorecard linked to above

Completely missed that, cheers.

Maybe his biggest crime was claiming Hubble then only giving it 3 out of 5 stars. SteMac and Will beg to differ!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#14 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 09:12:36 pm
Simpson is still an inspirational figure for some of us.

There’s no doubt that his strength and training feats are inspirational.

Shark did you mean you think he’s a Next Tuesday or his belayer does?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#15 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 09:18:22 pm
Rich Simpson was the Velvet Underground of climbers - he didn't actually climb much, but everyone who saw him, trained really hard and became a beast!

Ed, have you seen Doylo's Perky Pinky?  I suspect it's a large part of the legend that preceded the fall  - 6 minutes of Rich Simpson crushing School Room problems.  The last 30s alone, when he warms down with a load of one-armers off an old resin fingerboard, possibly accounts for a lot of the benefit of the doubt he initially had.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#16 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 09:20:42 pm
That’d be me. Tearing into Ben Heason whilst being a bullshitter himself

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#17 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 09:32:04 pm
I only recall climbing outdoors with Rich twice. Once at the Plantation where he basically moaned about it being cold and didn't really pull on. Once at Long Tor Quarry, where he failed repeatedly to redpoint a 6c+. Inspirational stuff.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:39:18 pm by Bonjoy »

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#18 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 09:32:50 pm
9 one armers will buy most cats the benefit of the doubt for a while.

The saddest thing about the whole shit show is he couldve been one of the best in the world if he'd chosen to

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#19 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 09:43:05 pm
I only recall climbing outdoors with Rich twice. Once at the Plantation where he basically moaned about it being cold and didn't really pull on. Once at Long Tor Quarry, where he failed repeatedly to redpoint a 6c+. Inspirational stuff.

That's because unbeknownst to you, he was wearing a 20 kg weight vest, and ran 10k and did some sparring in a boxing gym earlier that day. I STILL BELIEVE!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#20 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 09:43:28 pm
He had shit technique. I'm not sure 9 one armers and shit technique is a solid foundation for being a best in the world class climber.
Also he was fundamentally uninterested in climbing, it was just a convenient ego vehicle. Again, not a good starting point for actual greatness.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#21 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 09:51:04 pm

The saddest thing about the whole shit show is he couldve been one of the best in the world if he'd chosen to

Just like Happy Gilmore.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 10:01:21 pm by cheque »

ali k

• junky
#22 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 10:14:02 pm
Can we have a quick "Things Rich Simpson Claimed He Did" summary? My only knowledge of Rich Simpson is seeing his name mentioned in old threads on here. What exactly are some of these outlandish claims that he made?
As Barrows said - he also claimed to have run a sub 4 minute mile and 2.5hr marathon. And be on the Olympic team for boxing or something.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#23 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 10:27:48 pm
Don’t forget soloing the Brandler Hasse

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#24 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 20, 2021, 10:36:57 pm
Rope soloing Brandler-Hasse in 1hr 37 min is an absolutely bonkers claim.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal