UKBouldering.com

Beginner/child friendly location in NE Lakes (Read 1061 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
Beginner/child friendly location in NE Lakes
August 09, 2021, 12:44:22 pm
Does anyone have any suggestions for child/beginner friendly crags in the NE Lakes? The extended family are staying around Ullswater and at some point Windemere. I've done pretty well this year in finding suitable locations but my Lakes knowledge is pretty poor and all I know are classics on mountain crags which isn't really what I'm after.

So, suggestions for good crags with a few easy lines, good for top roping and reasonably safe to have kids tottering around below much appreciated!

Paul B

• forum hero
Not having kids I may be way off the mark but how about Black Crag (Wrynose)?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Bit of a drive possibly but ours enjoyed Seathwaite Slabs at the bottom end of Borrowdale. The upper slabs are up a nice/fun/drag climb up Sour Milk Gill. The Bowderstone on the way is an impressive lump for non-climbers. There's a good swimming spot in Langstrath just past the Stonethwaite campsite. Thirlmere boulders are a couple of mins from the road and currently out with the low reservoir level.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
If you're able to buy the Borrowdale guide there's lots of easier stuff there, proper beginner crags style, like the thing below Steel Knott Bluff etc.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
If you’re staying near ullswater, I used to use the lower tier at Gowbarrow (see ukc) as a group crag. It’s got a range of pleasant easy routes that are easy to rig for top roping.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal