UKBouldering.com

Tokyo Olympics Sport Climbing schedule (Read 52320 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
Looks like Bassa Mawem just tore his left bicep on the lead. Proper rough, that is.

Yeah the reply of that was pretty grim to watch.  :sick:

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Watching the bouldering on replay... the Discovery commentators are the worst because they think they know what they're on about but are actually clueless  :slap:
Chatting relentless bollocks from start to finish

Way better just having it on ambient sound only!

Huge improvement!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Looks like Bassa Mawem just tore his left bicep on the lead. Proper rough, that is.

How awful!

Sounds like Ondra is through to finals

galpinos

• forum hero

Proper gutting for him. I really like the Mawem brothers and it's been great to see them really bring their 'A game'.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
The commentators and whoever’s in charge of replays absolutely love this relatively easy dyno to the yellow jug rail.

JamieG

• forum hero

abarro81

• forum hero
 :sick:
If he withdraws is it a final with 7 or does 9th go through (looks likely to be Megos)?

James Malloch

• forum hero
If he withdraws is it a final with 7 or does 9th go through (looks likely to be Megos)?

Megos goes through if he doesn’t

sdm

• forum abuser
For those hating the commentary, I muted the TV commentary and listened to the climbing daily YouTube live commentary with Matt Groom and Teresa Corti which wasn't bad.

galpinos

• forum hero

Are you sure?

James Malloch

• forum hero

Are you sure?

I was pretty sure that’s what the commentators on discovery+ were saying. They talked about him needing to wait for the outcome of the injury to know if he would make finals.

Whether that’s correct is a different question though…

Edit - looking at the UKC updates, it sounds like they aren’t sure whether he would or not. The commentary suggested it would be the case though

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
The commentary is really galling, I think. I had a look at the BBC coverage at one point to see what it was like and they were doing a decent job of explaining things in an engaging way without resorting to the cringeworthy "Partridge sports commentator" voice that the Eurosport bloke does.
I really can't imagine it being expensive to get somebody into the booth who might know even the first thing about the sport and be able to string two words together.

If you've spaffed over a billion dollars on the rights, and thus denied everybody the chance to watch unimpeded on the BBC, maybe actually make a bit of a go of it?

And on that note, it makes all those discussions in climbing about the impact of the Olympics seem a bit moot. Depending on what the BBC gets/decides to show I doubt that 99% of people will even be aware that climbing was on.

I was pretty sure that’s what the commentators on discovery+ were saying.

Would love to see Megos compete but I'll wait to hear it from somebody that knows the sport, not Johnny Concrete and a rugby player.

Wellsy

• forum hero
The BBC feed didn't even show the qualifying results, never mind anything like the individual event results and/or updates

If you just checked the BBC you wouldn't even know it was happening.

James Malloch

• forum hero

I was pretty sure that’s what the commentators on discovery+ were saying.

Would love to see Megos compete but I'll wait to hear it from somebody that knows the sport, not Johnny Concrete and a rugby player.

UKC also said that he would at first, but then their next update said they weren’t sure.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
The BBC feed didn't even show the qualifying results, never mind anything like the individual event results and/or updates

If you just checked the BBC you wouldn't even know it was happening.

Things might improve for the finals. I think for most sports the coverage has been fairly limited to the finals. Plus lots going on in the velodrome today where GB normally does well. Also, no GB blokes competing but they might like to show more of Shauna?

Wellsy

• forum hero
Be awesome if Shauna got through to the finals. I know she has struggled with injuries and placed poorly recently, but I would love it if she did.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Is anyone else trying to watch this just on the BBC? They had the speed in the red button thing earlier, and I think you can now see the lead, but the bouldering is nowhere to be found. Is that right?

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
It's still not clear what will happen with Bassa. Fingers crossed he is ok to compete, but it looked unlikely to me (but what do I know?)

The scenarios if he doesn't are all a little unsatisfying:

A) Run it with 7. This would presumably give Ondra a Bye...
B) Alex Megos goes through. Not really fair since Bassa's position would have affected other scores and hence final positions. (Might not have made any difference in this case, but if he was good at lead it makes a big difference).
C) They discount all of Bassa's positions. Jongwon Chon would qualify, swapping positions with Megos.

I don't know what the answer is and can't see it in the IFSC rules. Given that he did successfully start the lead it seems likely his scores will count, so that option is out. If running with 7 someone gets a bye, it makes more sense if it's Tomoa (new top seed) than Ondra, who he would have faced.

Wellsy

• forum hero
If he withdraws because he says he can't compete in the finals, then surely his slot goes to the next highest ranked in the qualifiers though? That's got nothing to do with where he placed in the quals; he can't compete in the finals, pulls out, there's a slot, and the number 9 in the qualifiers is brought in.

galpinos

• forum hero
If he withdraws because he says he can't compete in the finals, then surely his slot goes to the next highest ranked in the qualifiers though? That's got nothing to do with where he placed in the quals; he can't compete in the finals, pulls out, there's a slot, and the number 9 in the qualifiers is brought in.

Depends on how the rules are written. This is a new format and the "interconnected" nature of the results make it a tricky decision to me, not as clear cut as you make out.

Also, in normal IFSC World Cups, they've run finals with 7 when someone has dropped out through injury though that might be the case here.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
They've covered up all the bolts with little mini-volumes. A new thing so we don't end up with another Ondra disqualification when his foot brushes a bolt?

Ondra wasn't disqualified, his attempt was terminated. And he did use the bolt, he pushed off it, we could see his muscles tensing.

They have been using blockers this season. All of the manufcaturere's started developing them after we used one in the Hachioji Combined final.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
If Bassa withraws then we have 7 in the final.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
If Bassa withraws then we have 7 in the final.

Interesting. an amazing result for Ondra if he gets a bye as a result. Surely improves his chances a fair whack as he would presumably have lost against a Bassa with both bicep tendons in the speed?

Wellsy

• forum hero
In the speed you go next to someone but you don't really compete against them so to speak. You get ranked on your time.

(Is my understanding anyway)

((Apparently my understanding is wrong and its a race off? Erm sure okay lol))
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 05:41:50 pm by Wellsy »

User deactivated

• stalker
Will he have to prove he is fit to compete Graeme?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal