UKBouldering.com

Tokyo Olympics Sport Climbing schedule (Read 50670 times)

RobK

• stalker
Mawem on 2!!

Love how they just showed the athlete on P1 chalking up on the mats the whole time Mawem was on the wall.

Thanks for the scorecard link!

petekitso

• player
Mawem is looking amazing.

I am now finding the commentary oddly compelling - it sounds like they have been given an hour's briefing on all things climbing and let loose. Who are they?

They are going on about the shoes again now . . .

Wellsy

• forum hero
Yeah I am excited to watch the catch-ups just to see what happened when Mickael Mawem did the second problem, cos he flashed it right? Impressive.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Mawem also now flashed problem 3!?

JamieG

• forum hero
Ridiculous by Mawem! I'm revaluating my entire world view at the moment!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Going to make the lead section really interesting!!

Wellsy

• forum hero
Schubert failed to even get zones on the first two problems? That's highly unexpected!

joel182

• obsessive maniac

JamieG

• forum hero
The commentary is pretty woeful on the discovery plus channel! They come out with some right nonsense. Highlight so far 'its upside down, back to front, chess!'  ;D

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Yeah I am excited to watch the catch-ups just to see what happened when Mickael Mawem did the second problem, cos he flashed it right? Impressive.

Lanked it 😄

RobK

• stalker
Speed qualifiers currently on the BBC red button. I only watched about 30 seconds of it but the commentary seems worlds better than Eurosport. Shame.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
This is the showreel that the Eurosport commentator uses to show potential clients how good he is at commentating on climbing.

:???:

Worth watching if you haven't got Eurosport just to see what the fuss is about.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Jesus quite literally would have wept....

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
When's the lead on?

edit: nevermind. 21:10 Tokyo time apparently

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
The option to turn the commentary off has to be one of the best innovations in sports coverage I’ve seen. Is this a common thing across sports now? It could make watching England in international fixtures way more palatable!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
“Most people would complain about having their hand stuck in a 4cm gap, here they’re actively looking for it”  :lol:

I love the commentary. I think I prefer it to having someone knowledgeable but that probably reflects the fact that this is the only comp I’ve ever watched and I’m enjoying the novelty as much as anything else. No idea how the bouldering scoring- “zone” is just another word for “back around” in my book.  ;)

The option to turn the commentary off has to be one of the best innovations in sports coverage I’ve seen. Is this a common thing across sports now? It could make watching England in international fixtures way more palatable!

They have it when the Premier League’s on Amazon. I’ve written about how much I love it in the Balls to Fiend thread before. As well as not having to listen to the commentators It can make the most mundane Tuesday night mid-table clashes seem like cinematic epics. Might be an option if you have proper Sky Sports as well- I just watch it via the “Now” Apple TV app on which it’s not.

Love how they just showed the athlete on P1 chalking up on the mats the whole time Mawem was on the wall.

Any time you get a non-climber filming climbing chalking-up is going to be front and centre.

andy popp

• forum hero
From the Guardian's live commentary:

"What happens next is they do bouldering, which as far as I could tell consisted of hanging upside down off rocks trying to get onto the next rock. It looked extremely difficult and not very dramatic, in contrast to the speed climbing which looked extremely both."

Not particularly impressed it seems.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
I've been an idiot. I hadn't thought of this as a two-step gig before. Only the 8 best ranked will progress, so the speed punts will be on the bus (hopefully the same bus, tragically falling off a cliff, killing all inside) long before the final. Phew.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

I've had this function on my TV for a long while, it's called the volume button :)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
I notice they clip a snapgate at the top of the route. Surely for an authentic climbing wall experience it should be a screwgate that the idiot before you has tightened up as much as they can?

They've covered up all the bolts with little mini-volumes. A new thing so we don't end up with another Ondra disqualification when his foot brushes a bolt?

galpinos

• forum hero
They've covered up all the bolts with little mini-volumes. A new thing so we don't end up with another Ondra disqualification when his foot brushes a bolt?

They've been trialling them this year on the World Cup circuit for exactly that reason but they seem to have been used inconsistently.

abarro81

• forum hero
Watching the bouldering on replay... the Discovery commentators are the worst because they think they know what they're on about but are actually clueless  :slap:

Ross Barker

• addict
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
Looks like Bassa Mawem just tore his left bicep on the lead. Proper rough, that is.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Watching the bouldering on replay... the Discovery commentators are the worst because they think they know what they're on about but are actually clueless  :slap:
Chatting relentless bollocks from start to finish

JamieG

• forum hero
Chatting relentless bollocks from start to finish

Way better just having it on ambient sound only!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal