UKBouldering.com

Photo editing for punters (Read 1622 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
Photo editing for punters
May 28, 2021, 08:27:17 pm
Any recommendations on good photo editing software for free or cheap?
And also recommended free online course or resources to learn what you're doing with it (for someone starting from zero knowledge)?

G Tubb

#1 Re: Photo editing for punters
May 28, 2021, 08:41:50 pm
Adobe bundle photoshop & lightroom together for £10 a month. Once you start learning a software environment you want to stick to it - these two will serve you no matter how far you want to take it, and there's endless material online for anything you want to learn.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Photo editing for punters
May 28, 2021, 10:24:06 pm
What sort of processing? Just raw editing or cloning out all the kneepads?

I'm not up on adobe since they went subscription only, but still use LR 6 daily. Gimp is free and powerful. Affinity Photo is a serious PS competitor and reasonably priced.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3 Re: Photo editing for punters
May 28, 2021, 10:28:15 pm
Any recommendations on good photo editing software for free or cheap?
And also recommended free online course or resources to learn what you're doing with it (for someone starting from zero knowledge)?

What will you be doing it on? PC, Tablet etc?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#4 Re: Photo editing for punters
May 29, 2021, 09:42:55 am
For simple raw editing the bundled photo application in Mac is sufficient. I still use Lightroom 6, as I know how multiplication works and realise how expensive the subscriptions are...

I have heard good things about Luminar, and I am considering changing. I gather that Luminar has a lot shorter learning curve than lightroom.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Photo editing for punters
May 29, 2021, 12:29:26 pm
I haven't used it but darktable is an open source alternative to Lightroom. I use gimp for editing photos which does what I need it to.

abarro81

• forum hero
#6 Re: Photo editing for punters
May 29, 2021, 12:39:12 pm
Cheers all. Gimp sounds like a good starter then.. I'm just thinking simple things really, like trying to play with colour a bit to compensate for my lack of getting settings right at the time (within the confines of ability to polish a turd). Will be on laptop (windows 10)

remus

• forum hero
#7 Re: Photo editing for punters
May 29, 2021, 01:29:00 pm
Cheers all. Gimp sounds like a good starter then.. I'm just thinking simple things really, like trying to play with colour a bit to compensate for my lack of getting settings right at the time (within the confines of ability to polish a turd). Will be on laptop (windows 10)

If you're looking more towards the tweaking end of the spectrum it might be worth trying something a little more lightweight than gimp (which is very capable but has a reputation for an idiosyncratic interface).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#8 Re: Photo editing for punters
May 29, 2021, 01:33:38 pm
What camera will you be using? Some come with decent enough software bundled.

If you're wanting to tweak colours and light levels, then best take your shots in raw mode.

I use gimp for some editing but use DxO photolab for raw editing and processing. Not bad value for money and one of the last remaining non-subscription packages.

Light room is widely used for good reason....

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#9 Re: Photo editing for punters
May 29, 2021, 02:22:02 pm
DxO photolab for raw editing and processing. Not bad value for money and one of the last remaining non-subscription packages.

I use this too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal