UKBouldering.com

Pocket money and kids bank accounts (Read 1497 times)

chris j

• forum abuser
Pocket money and kids bank accounts
May 02, 2021, 07:01:14 am
Our oldest is 6 now, and we're starting to look at pocket money and bringing in the concept of 'her money'. But cash is dead so giving her a couple of quid every weekend (what's the going rate for pocket money now?) is fairly pointless, not to mention tricky as we don't ever have any change nowadays. She is an acquisitive little magpie and hoards all the coins she finds round the house (& does her best to convince her little brother to keep his money safe in her moneybox!) but unsurprisingly has no concept of value or how long it takes to save yet.

In some ways a current account with a debit card would work (with Mum safeguarding the card as the daughter loses everything) but she's probably too young for most banks to touch for a current account (the kids do each have a savings account they don't know about) and you also have the problem of checking the balance, remembering passwords etc. The daughter doesn't have her own phone yet (& I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible!) so an account on an app with phone pay isn't a goer.

So how has everyone handled the pocket money thing and introducing the kids to the idea of 'their' money? I am to be honest pretty baffled about the best way forward...

tomtom

• forum hero
Chris / no idea how it works in practice - but I moved to a Starling bank account recently and that allows me to have extra debit cards all with their own limit (eg £10 a week..) etc…

Expect that doesn’t mean a separate way for your daughter to check the balance etc.. (which would be a big part of the point) but I dunno…

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
All four of mine got a bank account and debit card at 11.
They don’t get “pocket money”, but they’re expected to put Xmas and birthday money into it and can work for more, now and then (wash a car, pressure wash the decking, clean a bathroom, mow the lawn, even work a shift at the wall (assisting/ making coffee/teaching kids club) from age 14 up.
Now the older two are out with their mates a lot, we’ll often transfer a tenner so they can buy food or similar (thats pretty instant). All our accounts are with the same bank and we have access and control over them too, but they have their own cards, account, app on their phone etc.

This also means they will be sent to the shops for groceries or to buy their own clothes etc. using their own card and we’ll send them the money to do it or repay what they’ve used of their own if it’s a “family expense”. So, if they want an expensive, designer, pair of trainers, we’ll give them the price of a generic pair and they’ll have to find the difference. On the other hand, if they need new boots for footy or climbing, we’ll sort it out.
And so on.
They also manage their own data/phone usage, though we have a family contract and Polly dishes out the data/text/call allowance between them and breaching the “ration” requires a very good explanation...

Oh, yeah, they had to make the account applications themselves, we would “help” but they had to do it.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Hi Chris, we have used Go Henry since my daughter was 6. It works well with an app on the family tablet she can access and its own debit card. The app is simple and effective and you can sign in as child or adult. I stick £4 on it every weekend. https://www.gohenry.com/uk/

She also has an HSBC children’s saving account for Christmas and birthday money which we took her into branch to open.

chris j

• forum abuser
Hi Chris, we have used Go Henry since my daughter was 6. It works well with an app on the family tablet she can access and its own debit card. The app is simple and effective and you can sign in as child or adult. I stick £4 on it every weekend. https://www.gohenry.com/uk/

Thanks all!
Gohenry sounds like a good way to introduce the idea of money in small quantities for youngsters, we'll take a closer look.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Cash still working well for us.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Cash still working well for us.

You’re not allowed to use the “C” word on this forum...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Get them on coinbase, and fill them up with some Algorand - 6% APY and you can see the value ticking up in real time.

Better still, get them a Celo wallet and you can send them CGLD from your phone. Digital Gold!

:sorry:

chris j

• forum abuser
@Fultonius - you might as well be talking Swahili for all that means to me...  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal