UKBouldering.com

Poll

Do these look like something you would want

Absolutely, put me down for 1000 of them immediately
Absolutely not
Pain au chocolat

The board accessory you didn't realise you needed? (Read 5035 times)

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
I like the little magnet things. Could see them being good for with the kids.

Thought I'd respond to led board discussion.

I've made my own LED board. Materials cost about £200, but easily be less than £100 if you've got things like an old monitor lying around. My system is on a few home boards now and probably is a few evenings work to fit. You do need access to the back of the board. We ordered the LEDs from China built to spec in the end, although for the first board I spent days extending wires on an led string from eBay.

The software is on raspberry pi. I reckon it was about 3-4 months of full-time hours to write. So about £20k+ of a contractors time. That's really where the effort is. But it was only a few hours work to get the LEDs going, most of the work is making it suitable for wider use. The next step was to move away from the monitor keyboard approach and to a phone app, but that's out of my skill set and even more time.

Digital training boards has done some amazing stuff with his system Instagram link. The hardwood holds system sounds very reasonably priced when I consider the effort that went into mine.

Was it worth it? I've used boards with LEDs for years and obviously managed fine with just writing problems down. But I really think the led system is worth it, especially with friends, but even on my own it's just somehow better.

tomtom

• forum hero
Shit - may have mixed up digital training boards and Hardwood holds in my head…

High repute - where did you get your led string from?

I was thinking of just setting up a script for each prob to light it up rather than anything more fancy…

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Was it worth it? I've used boards with LEDs for years and obviously managed fine with just writing problems down. But I really think the led system is worth it, especially with friends, but even on my own it's just somehow better.

That should have said without LEDs.

LEDs from Alibaba TomTom. There's loads on eBay that are really cheap but they only have 7.5cm between LEDs. Search for WS2811 string. We got some with 30cm between LEDs from Alibaba but min order was 500. Mind you this was a few years ago now, might find something suitable now. I also have a bunch spare I could sell you, I bought enough to do one more board than I ever got round to doing. How many would you need?

I'd be up for you basically installing my system, I have a sort of instruction manual. But have very little spare time to support.

tomtom

• forum hero
Had a good google - can only find ones with 75mm spacing - though they’re pretty cheap £10-15 for 50 - so you could buy a string of 100 and only use 30 or 40 of them etc…

If you’ve some spare - happy to buy them off you. And any knowledge would be great - but I wouldn’t want to be badgering you about stuff…

But an open source solution would be great wouldn’t it - ideal to be put on a Git etc..

Need a project to get stuck into!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Too expensive.
LEDs I mean.
If anyone can come up with a cheaper version of the Moon system, I promise I won’t tell...  :ang:

I still think a progammable laser projector might be a more flexible option - and allow for many more holds to be put on the wall

create a JPEG for each problem (use a photo of the wall as a background template with corner markers to get alignment perfect)

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Electronic_Gadgets/Laser_Gadgets/Programmable_Laser_Light_Show_System_My_Effect_II_-_Red_Green_and_Purple_Laser_Custom_Annimations/

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Had a good google - can only find ones with 75mm spacing - though they’re pretty cheap £10-15 for 50 - so you could buy a string of 100 and only use 30 or 40 of them etc…

If you’ve some spare - happy to buy them off you. And any knowledge would be great - but I wouldn’t want to be badgering you about stuff…

But an open source solution would be great wouldn’t it - ideal to be put on a Git etc..

Need a project to get stuck into!

Thinking about the open source idea. I'm thinking I'll post all the info on my LED board as a resource for others. I have various documents listing what I bought, how I did various bits that might be useful. The code is all on GitHub.

I'll pm you about the LEDs.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Too expensive.
LEDs I mean.
If anyone can come up with a cheaper version of the Moon system, I promise I won’t tell...  :ang:

I still think a progammable laser projector might be a more flexible option - and allow for many more holds to be put on the wall

create a JPEG for each problem (use a photo of the wall as a background template with corner markers to get alignment perfect)

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Electronic_Gadgets/Laser_Gadgets/Programmable_Laser_Light_Show_System_My_Effect_II_-_Red_Green_and_Purple_Laser_Custom_Annimations/

Yeah, keep thinking this would be an idea, can’t get around the climber being in the way of the image (at least, not in my imagination).
I have even thought of just putting holes in the board, with a projector behind, but the structure gets in the way.
I’ve seen similar done with a straightforward projector, a cheap pad, a photo and “Markup” overlay.
One insta account, I saw sometime back, the guy had all white holds and just projected colours onto his problems. Same deal, photo of the board, marked and projected back.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Too expensive.
LEDs I mean.

Yeah, keep thinking this would be an idea, can’t get around the climber being in the way of the image (at least, not in my imagination).
I have even thought of just putting holes in the board, with a projector behind, but the structure gets in the way.
I’ve seen similar done with a straightforward projector, a cheap pad, a photo and “Markup” overlay.
One insta account, I saw sometime back, the guy had all white holds and just projected colours onto his problems. Same deal, photo of the board, marked and projected back.

Two (or more) projectors

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal