UKBouldering.com

Hold tight, it's the holds thread (Read 43769 times)

csl

• junky
#75 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 15, 2021, 04:03:14 pm
Probes will really fucking hate these unofficial reviews people put out on forums! :)

😂

Bradders

• forum hero
#76 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 15, 2021, 07:39:02 pm
Probes will really fucking hate these unofficial reviews people put out on forums! :)

:lol:

Looks like Robbie Phillips is going to be doing a holds review on his YouTube channel soon too. Hopefully that ticks the 'official' box?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#77 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 15, 2021, 09:21:54 pm
Yeah be good to get some unbiased reviews from a heavily sponsored climber ;)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#78 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 25, 2021, 09:31:29 am
At the current state of affairs, shipping holds in to our out of EU might be unnecessarily tricky, but for those who doesn't mind sourcing holds from Spain I have to recommend the wooden pockets made by euroholds. I have the 28 mm wooden two-finger pocket and the wooden mono and they are really comfortable and well made. The two-finger pocket is the best indoor pocket I ever pulled on. I haven't had them long, so I don't know if there are quality issues.

tomtom

• forum hero
#79 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 25, 2021, 11:42:20 am
At the current state of affairs, shipping holds in to our out of EU might be unnecessarily tricky, but for those who doesn't mind sourcing holds from Spain I have to recommend the wooden pockets made by euroholds. I have the 28 mm wooden two-finger pocket and the wooden mono and they are really comfortable and well made. The two-finger pocket is the best indoor pocket I ever pulled on. I haven't had them long, so I don't know if there are quality issues.

They do indeed look nice. When I tried to order:

- Due to your location or delivery address, you can't make the normal checkout in our webshop. Please, go to our international order form, fill it with your order and send us for preparing a quotation.

Fucking Brexit.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#80 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 25, 2021, 11:48:07 am
madness in every sense of the word. I just assume that everyone will come to their senses soon, is that unreasonably optimistic of me?

tomtom

• forum hero
#81 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 25, 2021, 11:50:16 am
madness in every sense of the word. I just assume that everyone will come to their senses soon, is that unreasonably optimistic of me?

Can't blame the company. I can only imagine that shipping to the UK now involves a whole raft of additional shit - that may be worth doing for a £500 order, but not for £30....

erm, sam

• forum hero
#82 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 25, 2021, 01:10:48 pm
is that unreasonably optimistic of me?
almost certainly!

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#83 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 25, 2021, 04:57:26 pm
For consignments less than £135 the EU seller now has to register with HMRC, add VAT onto the purchase price and account for the VAT to the UK. A lot of faff if you have few UK orders, so some EU retailers are refusing to let you buy orders worth less than £135, or charging UK customers extra to account for the extra admin.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#84 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 25, 2021, 07:17:34 pm

Can't blame the company. I can only imagine that shipping to the UK now involves a whole raft of additional shit - that may be worth doing for a £500 order, but not for £30....

I've spent countless hours battling with EXW Incoterms, Postponed Vat Accounting... Honestly, fuck that shit!

holdfast

#85 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 28, 2021, 05:50:01 pm
My tuppence worth....I built an outdoor 40 board (galvanised roof, enclosed on back and sides with fixed tarp, roll down tarp on front) back in June last year. I've got a selection of different wood holds and despite a particularly damp Dartmoor winter, they all seem to have held up pretty well. The first up were crusher and hardwood. No issues at all with the crusher ones, all as good as the day they were screwed on. A couple of the hardwood holds (light-coloured big pinches) seem to get a moldy film on the bits of hold that don't generally get used, but it brushes off and the wood seems OK. Also bought some beastmaker holds and some very small homemade ratty oak crimps off ebay before Christmas, again no problems so far. Conditions wise, the crusher ones seem to be least affected by high humidity, the hardwood holds the most. At my girlfriends request, I've also got 20 resin core mini jugs on for a circuit / warm up, but I much prefer the wood holds as they are so much kinder on the skin.
I think its good to have a range of different makes of hold on the board, different woods, different finishes etc - keeps it interesting. I'd say the beastmaker crimps have been the hardest for me to use, and also the ratty oak crimps are pretty fierce. Also, after nagging probes to design and make some, I've just put up some crusher monos and two finger pockets which are excellent, with the added benefit that as they are blocky to accommodate the pocket, they can also be used as pinches.
My next project will be to make a couple of small volumes to give a bit more variation, and maybe try making some holds myself....although this may be beyond my gcse woodwork!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#86 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 29, 2021, 01:05:55 pm
A big shoutout to our very own rginns for making me these custom crimps.

The brief was for a set of 6,7,8,9,10 and 11mm pair of ratties and he couldn't have nailed it any better. Note the Roman numeral sizes on the front. So very hipster and so very fucking cool.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#87 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 29, 2021, 01:43:13 pm
So very hipster and so very fucking cool.

And you've displayed them on some distressed wood. Next fucking level.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#88 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 29, 2021, 01:59:39 pm

It’s a distressed Workmate.

That’s full Artisan level.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#89 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 29, 2021, 02:07:36 pm
I feel an article for London Climber coming on.

The Red Brick Set: the top ten traverses on exposed brickwork in Shoreditch apartments - the climbs and their owners profiled.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#90 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 29, 2021, 02:20:26 pm
Holdz new range - Brickedgez, perfect for training for your next buildaneering project.

tomtom

• forum hero
#91 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 29, 2021, 03:16:25 pm
I feel an article for London Climber coming on.

The Red Brick Set: the top ten traverses on exposed brickwork in Shoreditch apartments - the climbs and their owners profiled.

I think Neil Gresham has that niche already sewn up.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#92 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 29, 2021, 03:37:45 pm

It’s a distressed Workmate.

That’s full Artisan level.

It's my dad's from the 70s, have been using it to knock up some ply holds this weekend. I'd love to see Rick's workshop!

M1V0

• addict
#93 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 30, 2021, 12:21:46 pm
Whoever was after Malc Smith's Rockmaster (?), it appears he (or someone using his name and presumed location) is making holds and selling via Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/malcsmithclimbing
Not the OG holds, but maybe you can convince him to remake them!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#94 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 30, 2021, 12:38:09 pm
That's so random.

Bradders

• forum hero
#95 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 30, 2021, 01:51:55 pm
That's mad! Someone called Malc Smith also popped up on Insta recently calling out someone for not starting in the right place on a trav at Dumby.

csl

• junky
#96 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
April 24, 2021, 03:14:48 pm
I don’t think this is a joke, climbing holds shaped and colours like various cheeses :shrug:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CImdMHlDHqU/

tomtom

• forum hero
#97 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
April 24, 2021, 04:48:18 pm
Whoever was after Malc Smith's Rockmaster (?), it appears he (or someone using his name and presumed location) is making holds and selling via Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/malcsmithclimbing

I bought a set of the black resin pinches Malc had on this etsy site.

They’re lovely!

JamieG

• forum hero
#98 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
April 24, 2021, 06:35:17 pm
I don’t think this is a joke, climbing holds shaped and colours like various cheeses :shrug:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CImdMHlDHqU/

As long as they aren’t skin cheddars, I don’t give Edam.

(Sorry! That was my best effort)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#99 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
April 24, 2021, 07:06:21 pm

I bought a set of the black resin pinches Malc had on this etsy site.

They’re lovely!

To test if they were made by the Malcolm Smith, grasp them while executing a drop-knee.  If they spontaneously combust, and shower your unrighteous face in burning plastic, they truly are the work of our broccoli loving purist of power.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal