UKBouldering.com

Muscle Reduction (Read 3245 times)

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
Muscle Reduction
October 20, 2004, 10:13:01 am
riiight, years of playing rugby as a yout (not my choice) has left me with big muscly thighs, obviously useless for climbing with. They won't fuck off no matter how much I don't train my legs (and they decided to balloon when I trained muay thai) Would doing really low weight reps or cycling on low resistance or even running reduce some of the muscle density?

cheers

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Muscle Reduction
October 20, 2004, 10:23:49 am
I'm not sure there's an easy solution - I seem to be stuck with my thunder-thighs, though I actually found Muay Thai slimmed mine down a bit - where did you do MT btw?

I think what did it for me was a lot of my early youth spent trudging round mountains with big rucksacks on.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#2 Muscle Reduction
October 20, 2004, 10:26:52 am
i train in liverpool in the Dingle (sketchy as fuck). If and when I get more serious Im going to train in Southport. It has done wonders for my core strength, fitness and general hardness ;)

how long have you been training?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Muscle Reduction
October 20, 2004, 10:29:13 am
I've done about 9 months but am currently not going due to my foot injury -  I was just about to go for my 2nd grading (up to B3 if that means anything to you?) but got injured a week before. I'm going to do some bag work today at the gym to see if just taping my foot up works coz I really miss it and need to keep those shins hard!

I train at the Wicker Camp in Sheffield. Fucking brilliant place.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#4 Muscle Reduction
October 20, 2004, 10:41:21 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
I've done about 9 months but am currently not going due to my foot injury -  I was just about to go for my 2nd grading (up to B3 if that means anything to you?) but got injured a week before. I'm going to do some bag work today at the gym to see if just taping my foot up works coz I really miss it and need to keep those shins hard!

I train at the Wicker Camp in Sheffield. Fucking brilliant place.

I have only been trainign for about 5 months, we haven't done any grading yet (not sure if my teacher is qualified, or just really good). Also started doing a mix called Kick Jitsu that uses Thai techniques as well as ju jitsu and other martial arts, the idea being that in a real fight situation if someone is 8 stone heavier than you, kicking them isn't going to do much, but knowing holds might help. What sort of combinations are you doing at B3 level?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Muscle Reduction
October 20, 2004, 10:49:15 am
I dunno, a good leg-kick has the potential to down anyone i reckon - I was doing trad ju-jitsu as well but didn't have the time for both so ditched it for the MT.

My current syllabus (B2) is:

- Hooks
- Salute and Wedge blocks
- 45 degree leg-kick
- Cross block
- Headkick
- Lay back
- Top Knee
- Elbow Block
- High push kick
- Top Elbow
- Crossing Guard
- Clinchwork

There are 3 combos for the grading but can't remember what they are. We'd also usually do 3 rounds of light non-head contact sparring each lesson.

B3 is pretty similar but adds some variations on the leg-kicks and things like flying top-knee.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#6 Muscle Reduction
October 20, 2004, 10:58:19 am
yeah sounds about what the same as where I am now. Have you done the one where you jump off their thigh, clinch thier head and elbow the back of their head, such an awesome technique. Low outside kicks are my favourite, people hate them. Do you spar with shin pads?

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#7 Muscle Reduction
October 20, 2004, 10:59:01 am
Be proud of them, girls always tell me they're really jealous of my legs which I don't take as a compliment.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Muscle Reduction
October 20, 2004, 11:04:51 am
Quote from: "vivahate"
Have you done the one where you jump off their thigh, clinch thier head and elbow the back of their head, such an awesome technique.

No - sounds evil  :lol:

Quote from: "vivahate"
Low outside kicks are my favourite, people hate them. Do you spar with shin pads?

Yeah, leg kicks are the killers - god knows how the fighters take them for a whole match - the pain is terrible even just conditioning.

Yeah, almost everyone spars with shin-pads, even the fighters - the sparring is light at this stage but I've still come home with some nasty bruises - the worst one was when i accidentally kneed this guy in the nuts (we wear boxes but it still hurts) so he retaliated with a pretty powerful Bandai which made my elbow hurt for a week.

My aim is to one day go to the full-contact sparring lessons which are weekly and open to everyone from beginners to the fighters. Full head contact allowed though so I'm not going to be going until I can block really well. People get knocked out down there.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#9 Muscle Reduction
October 20, 2004, 11:10:44 am
I used to have thunder thighs an all from years of volleyball.  After breaking both my legs they withered down to loverly sport climbers pin.  This is a little drastic.

They only other way is endurance work on them.  Running and walking for at least 30-40minutes.  You don't see runners with tree trunks :D

Having said that I used to be fucking ace at heel hooking and rock-overs (which i no longer true with the new pins) so its swings and roundabouts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal