UKBouldering.com

Bell Hagg golf course (Read 2739 times)

Mullett24k

Bell Hagg golf course
February 25, 2021, 11:07:08 pm
There is a stand alone block at Bell Hagg ( Just over the wall, on golf course land and quite close to a fairway but hidden in some trees. Near a bus stop near where the road drops down (if you're heading from Sheffield).- Peak bouldering directions) which currently has two problems recorded on peak bouldering: warm up arete 6a and tolerance 7b+.

We were uncertain of the line for tolerance which seems very eliminate and my friend has now pulled off the crucial right hand crimp. I recently climbed a problem around 7c which is not an eliminate starting on the right of the boulder and was wondering if anyone has done this or if there are any other routes here. the route climbs: starting with left hand on gaston and right on a sidepull, left foot on the start holds of tolerance, lock off to a slopey crimp them bump to a sidepull and pull through using an intermediate and a toehook to go to a slot before traversing left to top out.

Feel like this should have been done before given its proximity to the city, any info welcome.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: Bell Hagg golf course
February 26, 2021, 08:42:39 am
Poor bloody golfers. Allowed to go for a 3 hour stroll with one other friend, carrying sticks whilst they do - but not allowed to hit balls into holes with those sticks en route  >:(

Mullett24k

#2 Re: Bell Hagg golf course
February 26, 2021, 10:09:22 am
There is a stand alone block at Bell Hagg ( Just over the wall, on golf course land and quite close to a fairway but hidden in some trees. Near a bus stop near where the road drops down (if you're heading from Sheffield).- Peak bouldering directions) which currently has two problems recorded on peak bouldering: warm up arete 6a and tolerance 7b+.

We were uncertain of the line for tolerance which seems very eliminate and my friend has now pulled off the crucial right hand crimp. I recently climbed a problem around 7c which is not an eliminate starting on the right of the boulder and was wondering if anyone has done this or if there are any other routes here. the route climbs: starting with left hand on gaston and right on a sidepull, left foot on the start holds of tolerance, lock off to a slopey crimp them bump to a sidepull and pull through using an intermediate and a toehook to go to a slot before traversing left to top out.
Video here:

Feel like this should have been done before given its proximity to the city, any info welcome.

Stabbsy

• junky
#3 Re: Bell Hagg golf course
February 26, 2021, 10:15:07 am
Looks good. Keep meaning to have a look at this block as I run past it on the road fairly regularly. I’d worked out where it was from Cheque’s description in a previous thread. Are the other two lines on that same bit of rock in the video?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Bell Hagg golf course
February 26, 2021, 10:23:28 am
Should be called Tiger Wouldn't given his recent mishap!

Looks like it's begging for a direct finish too, or is it minging up there.

Mullett24k

#5 Re: Bell Hagg golf course
February 26, 2021, 10:48:09 am
Looks good. Keep meaning to have a look at this block as I run past it on the road fairly regularly. I’d worked out where it was from Cheque’s description in a previous thread. Are the other two lines on that same bit of rock in the video?

Yeah they're both on that block, tolerance is no longer a problem as my mate ripped off the crucial crimp.

Mullett24k

#6 Re: Bell Hagg golf course
February 26, 2021, 10:50:28 am

Yeah they're both on that block, tolerance is no longer a problem as my mate ripped off the crucial crimp.

Direct would be interesting, the tree sort of gets in the way so I traversed left, might get a volley of golf balls coming your way if its cut it down though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Bell Hagg golf course
February 26, 2021, 10:56:49 am
Be a shame if it just died (copper nails).

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#8 Re: Bell Hagg golf course
February 26, 2021, 12:22:14 pm

Went here recently. Good work this looks good.

I tried what you've done and agree that it is obvious and not written up so reckon probably is an FA. Seemed hard for 7c to me but then wasn't good conditions when I went.

Tolerance I was trying to start matched on the big thing your left foot is on in the vid. And making a huge move up to some aweful crimps. Seemed also harder than 7c to me. A bit of this start hold broke while I was trying it which made it even harder. It was eliminating a decent slot out left nearish the arete.
Which crimp did you break?

I climbing tolerance and not eliminating the slot felt about 6abc.

I went a bit higher up the wall direct but it was wet and green and possibly not worth it?

Mullett24k

#9 Re: Bell Hagg golf course
February 26, 2021, 12:59:55 pm

Went here recently. Good work this looks good.

I tried what you've done and agree that it is obvious and not written up so reckon probably is an FA. Seemed hard for 7c to me but then wasn't good conditions when I went.

Tolerance I was trying to start matched on the big thing your left foot is on in the vid. And making a huge move up to some aweful crimps. Seemed also harder than 7c to me. A bit of this start hold broke while I was trying it which made it even harder. It was eliminating a decent slot out left nearish the arete.
Which crimp did you break?

I climbing tolerance and not eliminating the slot felt about 6abc.

I went a bit higher up the wall direct but it was wet and green and possibly not worth it?
]

Unfortunately it was the crucial three finger crimp, the one you get with your left in the video before going to the break. Pretty key for both versions eliminate and non eliminate.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#10 Re: Bell Hagg golf course
February 26, 2021, 07:24:03 pm
I’d worked out where it was from Cheque’s description in a previous thread.

Yeah, directly opposite 85 Redmires Road is the point where you can just step over the wall and find yourself above the block- vital beta for anyone who wants to visit after the golf course reopens.

There’s a couple more sections of bouldering-sized rock directly above the course itself (nice flat landings!) with nothing at all recorded on it- same side as this block but closer to the clubhouse. Absolutely no way you’d get access outside of lockdown so anyone keen enough has about a month to have a look.

I usually find a golf ball or two when I visit Bell Hagg itself but in exploring rock at the far right end of the crag yesterday I found a golf club. It was slightly bent so I can only imagine that someone bent it over their knee before hoying it over the wall in frustration.  :lol:

Here’s Jerry playing at the Hallamshire course from about 2:10-

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal