UKBouldering.com

Injury on back of hand - help please (Read 1538 times)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Injury on back of hand - help please
February 18, 2021, 06:51:58 pm
I'm looking for some advice with an injury I got to the back of my hand last year around October / November. I was climbing on Dartmoor holding a weird sloper crimp thing and something went pop across the back of my left hand. Like a twat I carried on climbing as lockdown was coming and I had no idea when I'd get out again (still haven't!). I accepted this would not help but it was the start of the day etc.

I had pain on an off for a month or two and rested it as much  as I could (small kids grab hands quite a lot) then about 8 weeks or so later I tried climbing again. I've got a fingerboard and a campus board with large rungs I use mainly for feet on stuff. Fingerboard stamina stuff is ok - I generally don't hand off the fingerboard. I tried some gentle foot on campussing and I got pain again on the back of my hand. I rested again and am back to the same place trying to be really gentle and not aggravating it again. I am paranoid its going to get bad again.

One of my main issues is that I can't find any decent stretches or rehab online and am finding it hard to stretch the back of my hand properly. I don't know what the injury is called or what to Google. "Back of hand rehab or injury" just brings up general hand injury stuff.

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar or any knowledge? I had hoped I could get fit over lockdown and this whole situation is really getting me down!

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Injury on back of hand - help please
February 18, 2021, 07:35:17 pm
Because of the pop and because it's still hurting, I'd get it looked at professionally, in case it's a fracture or a ligament injury. Don't get too worried though, even fairly minor ligament injuries in the back your hand/wrist can take ages to stop hurting when you aggravate them a bit.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:53:40 pm by Ru »

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#2 Re: Injury on back of hand - help please
February 18, 2021, 10:07:00 pm
Ok thanks. There wasn't an audible pop when it happened. I just felt something do and then had pain.

I guess I was looking for some pointers as I'm not really in a position to go and visit anyone due to shielding in my bubble with Covid. It may be a little while until I can get to anyone and would love to be able to get back to some semblance of training at home to stave off the boredom...

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3 Re: Injury on back of hand - help please
February 19, 2021, 10:06:55 am
Could you try a variety of forearm stretches to hit the bit thats hurting? eg arm in front of you, point fingers down, use other hand to pull? When I do that I feel a stretch in the back of hand, especially if I keep my fingers straight.

Sounds like a weird injury. I get weird pops and clicks from my hands sometimes when warming up which sometimes feel uncomfortable but they've never lingered like yours has.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Injury on back of hand - help please
February 19, 2021, 10:35:10 am
Ok thanks. There wasn't an audible pop when it happened. I just felt something do and then had pain.

I guess I was looking for some pointers as I'm not really in a position to go and visit anyone due to shielding in my bubble with Covid. It may be a little while until I can get to anyone and would love to be able to get back to some semblance of training at home to stave off the boredom...

Pain in the back of the hand is a bit vague. Pending someone qualified commenting, I can only pass on the advice I was given from a number of orthopaedic consultants (I know a few) from when I had an injury that gave me pain in the back of my hand/wrist, which was: carry on doing what you do, unless it gives you pain, in which case stop. Generally, a bit of aching after an activity that fairly quickly subsides is ok.

Mine gave me pain when climbing for about 2 months, occasional pain when climbing for about 4 months, and very mild random aching for about 2 years. I did however have an examination and a scan to get a diagnosis and make sure there was nothing that needed fixing.

Whilst it seems unlikely that you have done anything serious, the pop sensation suggests that something moved so it's possible that something broke or tore. Malcolm Smith fractured his hamate hook when pulling on a hold and I recall reading a forum post from someone who managed to rupture their scapho-lunate ligament pulling on an awkward hold. In both of those cases the pain would probably be almost in the wrist. Something like that would warrant getting it looked at. Lots of physios and many orthopaedic consultants are doing video appointments so that's an option.

Disclaimer: not a doctor.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5 Re: Injury on back of hand - help please
February 19, 2021, 10:46:03 am
Mine and my other half both have experience of broken hand/ wrist bones & ligaments that weren’t diagnosed immediately, mine for five weeks, hers for 18 months. I was advised to leave it for three further months to see if it would adapt without pain (it kind of did and works fine now, just in a bit of a deformed-looking way) so I escaped the scary-sounding ops that were mentioned, Ms Cheque wasn’t so lucky and had “arthroscopic debradement” to remove scar tissue. Her hand looks and functions the same as it used to but gets tired quicker, gets sore in cold weather and swells up a lot of she bashes it at all. We were both told the outcome would have been better if they’d been diagnosed sooner.

Should add that neither of these were on the back of our hands.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:56:07 am by cheque »

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#6 Re: Injury on back of hand - help please
February 19, 2021, 11:18:50 am
Ok thanks everyone.

A friend on here has recommended a physio that does remote stuff. I had stupidly not considered this. I hear that it would be good to get an assessment from someone so I'll get I  touch with them.

And yes I agree it feels like a weird injury. I've been at it 25 yrs and had all sorts of tears, twinges etc but nothing like this.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Injury on back of hand - help please
February 19, 2021, 11:30:59 am
had all sorts of tears, twinges etc.

Fixed. now kids provide those. 

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#8 Re: Injury on back of hand - help please
February 19, 2021, 12:09:58 pm
It's all amplified in the pressure cooker of lockdown Chris!! I do feel for the little ones though it's crap for them

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal