UKBouldering.com

Improving ankle flexibility (Read 3933 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: Improving ankle flexibility
February 17, 2021, 10:12:55 pm

Struggling with certain types of heel hooks and being terrible at pigeon pose could potentially be related, so perhaps worth working on. Even if progressing with pigeon pose doesn't help with climbing, your body will feel 5 years younger. It's one of the most hideous feeling stretches when you're crap at it but becomes one of the best feeling when you start loosening up.

Used to be the highlight of my yoga class.

Reclining Hero progression is really good for opening front of hips too, but use blocks if you have and knee dodgyness.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#26 Re: Improving ankle flexibility
February 17, 2021, 11:11:14 pm
he lost 2 cm of ankle flexibility and was never the same player afterwards.  Unfortunately he didn't specify how the 2 cm was measured.

Possibly with this test?

I’ve measurably improved mine by stretching my calves every day since becoming aware of that test the other week.

JJP

• addict
#27 Re: Improving ankle flexibility
February 18, 2021, 03:48:52 pm
Anyone know of some assessments and/or benchmarks for hip mobility and flexibility specifically for climbing which would highlight where you're most lacking?  Or able to provide some (maybe Liamhutch?).  I'm confident there must be a Pareto's Law type approach to flexibility and mobility for climbing but there's so much bollocks out there for all types of training these days and flexibility stuff seems particularly bollock heavy.  Personally I feel like I'm  average to ok flexibility/mobility in some areas (eg. solid at L sits, not bad V sits, not bad at pulling with high feet on a board or high rockovers on slabs)  and terrible in certain types of others (splits type corners, foot to hand matching when hand is pressing/mantling, certain types of heels, shocking at pigeon pose, absolutely nowhere on pancake).  Would be nice to know what to target*...
*for climbing

Being tall with pretty average hip flexibility it is something I have been looking at this during lockdown. 

You sound like you have pretty good flexibility and they may be a bit basic but there are a couple of videos on the topic by the "climbing doctor" with American climber Jon Cardwell.  He does a couple of pretty simple appearing assessments at the start.  Maybe worth a watch?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal