UKBouldering.com

Toe pain (Read 1489 times)

JJP

• addict
Toe pain
January 06, 2021, 03:44:37 pm
Hi all, this feels a bit of a ridiculous question but hey ho. 

Getting a lot of pain from my big toe/ toenail.  First happened when toe-ing in hard on home board and then happened a few times since (on board and at local wall).  Currently main thing affecting frequency of sessions.

Feels like it mainly relates to the toe being pulled away from the nail when toe-ing in aggressively although don`t know if pressure from the shoe could play a part. 

Not sure if it is to do with shoe fit (been wearing same model for a few years prior), repetitive use of same footholds (board has all the same type and been on board way more than normal for obvious reasons) or something else. 

Anyone had this? Any suggestions? 

JamieG

• forum hero
#1 Re: Toe pain
January 06, 2021, 06:33:22 pm
Hi JJP.

Not sure if this is at all related. But is it at the side of your nail? I had a bit of an issue with the skin at side of my big toe nail getting sore. I think it was caused by a build of harder dry skin and then the nail cutting in when wearing tight boots. Then I think it got a little infected. I use TCP to stop the infection. Then heel balm to soften the skin. This seems to have improved the situation massively. I still put some heel balm on every so often to try avoid the hard skin building up too much.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#2 Re: Toe pain
January 06, 2021, 07:48:58 pm
Heel balm. The 25% urea stuff.

It will soften the nail, toughen the skin (without letting it turn dry and hard) and kill 99% of all known germs dead.

Use every night until it feels better and then every now and then for maintenance.

Works on hands as well

JJP

• addict
#3 Re: Toe pain
January 06, 2021, 11:13:09 pm
Cheers guys

Ye it does also involve the skin at the side of the nail and the nail also looks a bit stressed at that side.  Will def try the urea heal balm cream (we have it some of it in the house for my sons feet).  Reckon softening the nail and skin will help.

Cheers again

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#4 Re: Toe pain
January 06, 2021, 11:28:20 pm
If you get some really nasty hard bits of nail and hard skin, you can try 40% urea heel balm. This stuff will eventually dissolve the nail if wanted.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Toe pain
January 07, 2021, 07:59:40 am
Be careful cutting it, don't let it go ingrown.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#6 Re: Toe pain
January 08, 2021, 01:08:38 pm
I use a rechargeable callus remover to keep hard skin build up under control

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal