UKBouldering.com

Training at home: arms and shoulders (Read 2283 times)

PlasticBloc

Training at home: arms and shoulders
December 21, 2020, 04:48:07 pm
Hello,
I would like to train at home my arms and shoulders for climbing and bouldering.
I have very little material: a couple of 1.5 lb weights, 3 lb ankle weight sets, three elastic resistance bands, a red TheraBand FlexBar Resistance Bar.
I start from scratch.

What kind of exercise can I do?
Any suggestion?

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#1 Re: Training at home: arms and shoulders
December 21, 2020, 05:34:57 pm
Can you buy some dumbbells? That'll massively increase the things that you can do. But I'd just google bodyweight workouts, a lot of those that target general strength and core will be helpful

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Training at home: arms and shoulders
December 21, 2020, 05:47:38 pm
If its for conditioning - you can do I’s Y’s and T’s with the therabands... also curls. Press ups (strict form) good for shoulders and for manteling. And face pulls (Google them).

I do these nearly every eve to try and keep all shipshape in the shoulders and elbows...

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#3 Re: Training at home: arms and shoulders
December 21, 2020, 06:21:22 pm
Pulling strength is fairly difficult to train without equipment. A pull up bar in the door frame would serve you well. You could attempt bodyweight rows under a table, raise your feet on a chair to increase difficulty and eventually on to front lever rows.

Pushing strength is easy. Planche progressions, pseudo planche pressups, handstand pressups against a wall or pike presses with feet raised and so on.

Pushing and pulling exercises train the arms so there's not much need to isolate arms as well

For legs, Pistol squats, kossak squats (more for mobility), Nordic curls with fee anchored under a settee or radiator.

For core there's L-sits, L sit or knee raises holding yourself up in a kitchen counter corner, Hyper extension holds on the floor and all the plank variations.

These will all help to increase general strength when programmed appropriately

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#4 Re: Training at home: arms and shoulders
December 21, 2020, 06:26:08 pm
Do you have anything to hang off?  Or hook your bands around?

I've tried several methods of doing IY&Ts and not convinced this isn't the best, bonus for you is minimum equipment needed. Certainly lots of good tips about form in here as well (also worth wtaching the whole thing)

https://youtu.be/tV3lSdmg0AA?t=339

joeisidle

• addict
#5 Re: Training at home: arms and shoulders
December 22, 2020, 11:16:19 am
Do you have anything to hang off?  Or hook your bands around?

I've tried several methods of doing IY&Ts and not convinced this isn't the best, bonus for you is minimum equipment needed. Certainly lots of good tips about form in here as well (also worth wtaching the whole thing)

https://youtu.be/tV3lSdmg0AA?t=339

+1 for these, they don't look Iike much but will make you work harder than you think and are crucial for general conditioning and posture (at least they are if you spend as much time sat at a desk as I do)

Plattsy

• forum hero
#6 Re: Training at home: arms and shoulders
December 22, 2020, 11:53:33 am
Good form push ups and face pulls.  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Training at home: arms and shoulders
December 22, 2020, 12:15:44 pm
You can always hang theraband over the side of a door if nothing else, just put something between it and the door, or else the edge of the door saws through it pretty fast

PlasticBloc

#8 Re: Training at home: arms and shoulders
December 23, 2020, 12:28:19 pm
I own a couple of dumbbells.
I'd like to thak you all for your suggestions. I'll check them all.

mark s

• junky
#9 Re: Training at home: arms and shoulders
December 23, 2020, 06:41:36 pm
The weights you have won't do anything.
I got a set of weights from argos. About 50 kg which is enough for messing around in the garage. Comes with a bar and 2 dumbbells.
Standard bicep curls are the easiest and best exercise.
Triceps are a bit harder with just bars. Overhead presses do triceps with the bonus of hitting the shoulders. Tricep kickbacks isolate triceps.
I got some dip bars off amazon for not too much although I have some rings up now and they are good for dips and a whole lot more. I'd def recommend rings if you have somewhere to hang them

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal