UKBouldering.com

Power Club 561 7-13 Dec (Read 5430 times)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#25 Re: Power Club 561 7-13 Dec
December 14, 2020, 07:45:09 pm
skateboarding and the inevitable injuries that such a stupid activity elicits in a man in his 40's

Did you start skating in your 40s Duncan? When I used to skate (when I was about 17-19, quit before I got any good) the older guys who we saw out periodically were spoken about in hushed tones, more for the injuries they’d sustained and the scars and postural problems they had as a result than their skills.

When I found out that one of my climbing partners who’s my age still skates he revealed that his secret to not being that fucked up was to have basically never stopped since he was a teenager. We both agreed that the formative years of street skating were not something we’d be prepared to experience at 40.  :sick:

RobK

• stalker
#26 Re: Power Club 561 7-13 Dec
December 14, 2020, 08:44:35 pm
Thought it was about time I joined in after being a serial lurker. Got quite stuck into training this winter after a decent season. The home board I built during lockdown has helped a lot. For a bit of background, I am almost exclusively a sport climber but have been enjoying pottering around with my pads this autumn/winter. This past summer I did my first 8a's so looking to build on that next season. I'm based in Chester so Clwyd lime is my local stuff, with North Wales and the Peak not far away.

M – Parisella’s after work. Second session on Rock Atrocity. Sort of got involved with this by accident when I ended up at the cave last weekend due to lack of other dry options. Only been a couple of times before playing on Left Wall Traverse. RA would be my first 7C. Had got all the moves last session so was a case of making links. Pleased to get it done in two halves, from the start to matched on the flake and then from there to the end. TRX session when I got home.

T – Lunchtime fingerboard, Crimpd AnCap 70% repeaters. Evening session at the Boardroom. 5 x 5 pull ups +16kg. Then playing on the routes with a mate, went too hard too early and was mega boxed for the whole thing resulting in much failure. 20 minutes of easier endurance stuff on the autobelays to finish with.

W – Back to the cave after work. New high point on RA of slapping to the sloper off the flake but not holding the swing. Then an enjoyable tick of LWT, my tactic of trying this when too tried for RA finally paid off. Obviously third day on at the cave is not ideal but happened for various reasons!

T – Much needed rest.

F – Lunchtime fingerboard, Crimpd AeroPow repeaters. Super pumped, in hindsight this was probably one session too much. Evening – Anderson repeaters using the protocol I saw on here a while back with F3 open, F3 half crimp, M2 open. Been doing these to try and improve my weaknesses on any hold that is not a four finger crimp. Bar core work, followed by the linked boulders session from Crimpd on my board. Only managed two sets before I was feeling totally wiped out.

S – Rest, didn’t really move from the sofa which was the goal for the day.

S – Cave again. Truly awful conditions, not that I was expecting anything else. A marginal high point (held the swing a bit more). Good group though so still enjoyable.

An easy week in the schedule coming up is much needed: one midweek day of training, one midweek cave session and then whatever the weather allows at the weekend.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#27 Re: Power Club 561 7-13 Dec
December 14, 2020, 08:49:56 pm
Power Club

Mon - Lattice Edge 10 hangs at -5, -2 and BW, tired but strong. Snatch rack pulls in between 80kg x5 x10.
Tue - rest.
Wed - Lattice Edge usual session. Power clean up to 68 kg (85%) happy but very dangerous for the knee. Never again. Snatch 5x5. TBDL x5 + farmer's x5.
Thu - shoulders (supinated grip and Lu raises). Pull ups 30" finisher. Overhead carry 30/30 x10 40 kg. Tired.
Fri - rest.
Sat - sledgehammer and wheel x4', loaded carry on stairs x4', all x3. Amazing.
Sun - ab wheel, clean and press, snatch pulls, overhead carry.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#28 Re: Power Club 561 7-13 Dec
December 15, 2020, 12:19:52 pm
skateboarding and the inevitable injuries that such a stupid activity elicits in a man in his 40's

Did you start skating in your 40s Duncan? When I used to skate (when I was about 17-19, quit before I got any good) the older guys who we saw out periodically were spoken about in hushed tones, more for the injuries they’d sustained and the scars and postural problems they had as a result than their skills.

When I found out that one of my climbing partners who’s my age still skates he revealed that his secret to not being that fucked up was to have basically never stopped since he was a teenager. We both agreed that the formative years of street skating were not something we’d be prepared to experience at 40.  :sick:

I started at 13 and pretty much knocked it on the head in my mid 20's (around the time concrete seemed to get strangely more solid :shrug: and I started climbing)... Still skated to the shops and could always impress the kids on the school run with a kickflip or two... Picked it up properly again a few years back as my son got keen... Been ace taking him to parks and getting loads of the old tricks back but now he's nearly 14 and doesn't wanna be shown up by his dad anymore I'm gonna let it go and save the NHS some money  :wavecry:

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#29 Re: Power Club 561 7-13 Dec
December 15, 2020, 06:00:27 pm
M: 100 press-ups. (25, 25, 25, 25)

T: Fingerboard. First hangs for a while. 40mm slowly decreased weight off from -40lb to BW. 22mm slowly decreased weight from -40lb to a 10s hang at BW. L wrist and fingers not hurting but feeling odd. Core - Crimpd Floor Core

W: Density pickups up to 40lb both sides. 100 press-ups. (30, 28, 24, 18)

T: Fingerboard. 22mm 10s *5sets. Core - Crimpd Floor Core

S: DBC North. Hangs 20mm 10s up to +10lb. Climbing up to M-, LH feeling massively restricted. More comfortable in crimp than open hand, think it's a flexor tendon strain

S: Drive into the mountains with lots of short walks in the snow

Progression on the latest injury - slow and steady

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal