UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire (Read 3322 times)

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
Yorkshire
October 17, 2004, 03:39:27 pm
going there this weekend for a couple of days, I don't have a guidebook yet and was wondering if is any beyda on good wet weather places to boulder?

thanks

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Yorkshire
October 17, 2004, 06:31:43 pm
Soaking wet / raining - nowhere.

No rain but has been raining any time recently - Almscliff, instant dryage.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Yorkshire
October 17, 2004, 10:34:32 pm
Crookrise dries pretty damned sharpish too.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#3 Yorkshire
October 17, 2004, 11:33:31 pm
If it is actually raining, but not too heavy, you can boulder in places at Woodhouse Scar and West Vale, and Kilnsey of course, but this may be suffering from seepage.

On a windy day Almscliffe will be dry, post rain in about 30 minutes. That's when you get the best friction as well!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Yorkshire
October 18, 2004, 08:10:09 am
Forgot to mention there is a sheltered bit at the right side of Baildon Bank that gets some shelter in the rain. It's only useful if you are REALLY desperate.

Otherwise, leeds wall?

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#5 Yorkshire
October 18, 2004, 11:10:34 am
cheers

dave

#6 Yorkshire
October 18, 2004, 11:15:40 am
roche abbey is also in yorkshire (albeit south) and is always dry.

Stubbs

#7 Yorkshire
October 18, 2004, 11:30:06 am
This saturday was a somewhat typical autumn yorkshire bouldering day for myself:
-Set off from leeds about 11 in the rain, but optimistically drove towards almscliff anyway, only for the rain to get heavier.
-Turned around and drove the 10 miles or so down to ilkley to find it dry and clear, but with the rock pretty damp. One side of the quarry is almost always dry, as is the front of the calf, which has some good eliminate problems. (Incidentally, someone was trying desperate dan (E7 arete) didn't see a make though.)
-As the weather started to come in at Ilkley around 2 i drove back down to Almscliff to find it had cleared nicely and dried quickly (as usual) and i had an enjoyable afternoon.

What i am trying to say is, a lot of the time it isn't raining everywhere at once, and travelling between a few crags can give you a good day, even if the majority of the problems are slimed over.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal