UKBouldering.com

Research Study: Bouldering motivation, from beginner to expert ability levels (Read 2396 times)

Adam Smith

Hello,

Adam Smith here, the below study will be a component of my  University of Liverpool Psychology MSc.

I am investigating if there are motivational differences between rock climbers of differing ability levels.  As a member of this online climbing community/ gym I would like to invite you to participate in the following study ‘Bouldering motivation, from beginner to expert ability levels: a study of UK rock climbers’.

The study will use an anonymous online survey method.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, if you would like to participate in this study please follow the link below. If you have any more questions, please contact the student researcher Adam Smith using the following email address adam.smith1@online.liverpool.ac.uk

https://livpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2l4XgB5wk2g1gVL

Thank you for taking the time to read this post

Adam Smith

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Done but felt like I was being asked the same question phrased slightly differently each time, not sure i understood the nuisances.

Is this part of the test? Show us your hand! :)

dunnyg

• forum hero
Probably done to get reliable answers? Check you aren't just ticking boxes randomly and that your answers are significant? I've not designed this kind of survey before, but would seem like a good idea!

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
I did it. But found that I felt less and less inclined to agree with the question, the more it was repeated.

There doesn't seem to be an option for "I don't always need a goal, I just really enjoy doing it."

Questions like "I don't know why I do it" would be good if they weren't then qualified by "I don't really think my place is in sport".

That's not to say I don't have goals, but motivation isn't always to do with performance improvements or self-growth. What about spending time with friends, enjoying the outdoors, enjoying the puzzle/challenge/discovery, feeling good when climbing, etc etc.? All of these things can motivate you to climb harder.

tomtom

• forum hero
That's not to say I don't have goals, but motivation isn't always to do with performance improvements or self-growth. What about spending time with friends, enjoying the outdoors, enjoying the puzzle/challenge/discovery, feeling good when climbing, etc etc.?

You forgot "escaping from home for a few hours" in there :)

abarro81

• forum hero
I tried and gave up because I got lost in a bunch of philosophical loops that I don't have the time to properly think through. I feel like to have valid answers to many of the questions I'd have to have a week-long retreat or some psychoanalysis.

Then I didn't really know what "being effective" meant in a rock climbing context, given that the question list implies that it's different from "obtaining results".

Unfortunately in attempting to see what the next set of questions were I then submitted a form that's basically all 3s for the first question and 4s for the last question, because I didn't know I was on the last question and I thought there were others, and I wanted to see what they were. Sorry.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
That's not to say I don't have goals, but motivation isn't always to do with performance improvements or self-growth. What about spending time with friends, enjoying the outdoors, enjoying the puzzle/challenge/discovery, feeling good when climbing, etc etc.?

You forgot "escaping from home for a few hours" in there :)

Hah!

Adam Smith

Thanks for the response and feedback guys  :) Very helpful  :icon_beerchug:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I tried and gave up because I got lost in a bunch of philosophical loops that I don't have the time to properly think through. I feel like to have valid answers to many of the questions I'd have to have a week-long retreat or some psychoanalysis.
I could message Dan C and see if he'd help you??

SA Chris

• forum hero

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Thanks for the response and feedback guys  :) Very helpful  :icon_beerchug:
Don't you think that studying bouldering motivation is a little step back from studying the nature and causes of the wealth of nations?

SA Chris

• forum hero

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
The hand is invisibile. He can't show it...

SA Chris

• forum hero

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Where's the "I don't like climbing any more but all my friends are climbers and I've been doing it so long that the only way I know how to spend my free time is going to sit under routes on the Catwalk"?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
I think it's only for UK residents.
I didn't go past the first three moves.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal